Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Great Truck
By ldiamo

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for 9 years. Highway, city, offroad. Hot sun, freezing winters with heavy, deep snow and ice, and torrential rain. My version is a 4DR Extended Cab SLE Z71, 5.3L with custom cap and racks. This is a fabulous truck. Handles great and delivers fantastic performance under absolutely any condition and/or load. But it had growing pains: bad ABS brakes,and some electrical issues with power windows and doors, and extended cab hinges that didn't fit properly in cold weather. All fixed over time and the brakes are now very good(watch out for the door hinges, though.)Now in 2009 I am trading it for a Suburban Z71 for a roomier cab (family has grown). I will miss this truck.

Superb unconditional performance. Excellent offroad (loves logging roads). Comfortable on long trips and just plain handles great. Wonderful 4WD system. Balances well under load. You will be rewared by giving it tires that are specific to your useage.

Better electrics (watch the power windows/doors). Extended cab doors have weak hinges. Drive train develops slack (lash) but is good. Transmission needs a design upgrade as the 4 speed auto is "slammy" and the "lash" doesn't help.

Great Truck, just won't stop!
By justin51

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

This is one heck of an awesome truck. I've loved it from the day I bought it and still love it today. It has been a work truck from the day I took it home, and after 170,000 miles it still is going strong. Love the reliability of it, never have to worry about that. I find it a little wierd but I have never had to change anything, or even touch the brakes, and they still look great, I was told this was b/c of the 4 Wheel ABS/Disc system. I own the 4.8L V8 model and get "great" gas mileage for a full size V8 truck, especially loaded with tools. 15 city, and 21 hwy. These number came with the help of some aftermarket parts, like K&N filter, & better plugs and wires. I hope you enjoy yours.

Engine, looks, dependability, and brakes are favorites but gas mileage is getting to be my favorite with gas at $4 a gallon.

A little nicer interior trim would be nice, although the seats in the one I have now are very comfortable.

I love my truck
By KRIS

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have had my truck for 2 years it has about 150k miles on it and I have not had hardly any problems out of it what so ever. This has been a great truck all around. Im impressed with my gas miliage also I still get about 18-20 in the city and and 22-24 on the hwy I guess. For the age and mileage this is still wonderful. I would definitely buy another truck like this and recomend them to friends and family. I also can tell you that this truck holds its own in wrecks. I have been in 1 wreck in this truck and it held together very well better than some bigger trucks that I have seen! The damage and the cost of repair were pretty minimum for the wreck.

Reliability mainly! I would give this truck an A+ all the way around!

Interior fashion maybe, and a better built stepside bed but other than that I have to say there isn't anything!

Great truck but fuel milage stinks.
By IsaiahCasey

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck used last year love the design the ride and comfort. the gas mileage stinks but I wouldnt trade it for anything else. About a month after I bought the truck I had an electrical problem but it worked itself out. I just bought a meyers diamond snowplow and I am going to put it on this week. The truck has plenty of power to push snow. I work on a farm and I have a 4 ton trailer, and I can haul a 3 ton skidsteer on the trailer and she still has plenty of power.

Electric seats, mirrors, windows, and locks. lLke the message center untill comuter goes.

Rust proof bumpers, and body would be nice, brighter backup lights, and cargo lights maybe more backup lights would be good.

Professional Grade Junk
By Ed Mack

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck over others because I thought it was better built. The truck is not driven hard. I payed 30,000 for it and have been fixing it ever since. To the tune of 5,000 so far. Some of the things fixed are, Both window regulators, 2 sets of wheel bearings, abs braking system, water pump, fuel gauge, air compressor bearings, fuel pressure sensor, throttle plate replace, battery replace after 1yr, leather seat material rip after 1 year, payed 750 to fix it because it was running rough. I evetually found the problem to be a loose oxy sensor which should have cost nothing to fix. Also I think that the cost of getting this truck fixed at the dealer is crazy excessive. Won't buy another one ever

Heated leather seats, 4wd, cab size

Redesign the window regulators, wheel bearings, water pump, fuel gauge connecter. Bring the cost of repair down to eath instaed of uranus !