Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Some mechanical problems
By gmfan on 01/06/08 11:39 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am surprised to see so many positive reviews on this vehicle. True, it is fun to drive and has a good ride and great stereo, there have been several disappointing mechanical problems. It seems to chew through brake pads in about 10000 miles. This problem was worse before the recall work on the anti-lock brakes that I am surprised no one else has commented on. Also, the rear tailgate is about to rust off and a brake line has rusted through leading to a brake fluid loss and near braking disaster. Also, numerous squeaks and noises that are undiagnosable.

Nice truck
By M & K on 12/05/07 16:44 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like my truck. Pretty good gas mileage for a V-8 (about 18-21 city and 22-24 highway). Comfy ride. A few problems with the rear driveline. Had to replace both u-joints about 6 months ago and now it is squeaking and clanking again. Rear axle probably needs to be rebuilt. 3-rd door is nice, but back seat as a little smaller than I'd like. Pretty good power and towing capabilities. Heater is bad- not very warm and I have to put it on high to even feel any air flow.

My 2000 GMC Sierra Experience
By RidgeRunner on 11/15/06 05:48 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been exceptionally reliable and dependable. I have had other older similar trucks (Chevy) but this truck is better. In 6 years, only one 4x4 switch on the dash has failed me. It is fun to drive and very functional, comfortable and well designed.

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4 x 4
By Mike on 10/11/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had my truck for 6 years, and I still love it. It's been a great work truck, and has the comfort of driving a car. It's been great in both the snow and mud, and has never had a problem. It's definitely a keeper. The only thing that I wish is that I would have gotten the rear window defogger, and the 4th door.

Great GMC truck z71
By lawrence forester on 09/01/06 15:34 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I loved this truck. It did everything I wanted it to do. The only reason I want to sell it is I am a realtor and need a car to show houses in.

Slowly falling apart
By jcat_70 on 08/02/06 10:08 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I owned a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 for 4 years. Although, I must say, the engine and trans were reliable, partly because I used Mobil 1 synth. oil and never beat on it. Other things with the truck started to fall apart, i.e., the ABS system would intermittently go off at less than 5mph on dry surfaces, the fuel gauge would start and stop working, the right side mirror was flopping around in the wind, the tailgate handle (plastic) broke off when opening the tailgate one day. The brakes were terrible - including the rotors and way too much distance was needed to stop. The driver's door lock got jammed and wouldn't lock no anymore. Power window linkage broke. Radio lights quit working. too much!

Love It
By Taber on 06/18/06 08:40 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This vehicle has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is dependable and has had no problems since I purchased it.

Nice ride
By j byrd on 03/11/06 09:43 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I love my truck, it has everything. The only problem I've had is the power window motors have both gone out and been replaced, and the 4 wd switch goes out and causes message board to read service 4 wd. Seems to be common problem according to dealer and other c/k 1500 owners. Other than that no problems. Gas mileage is not bad for the size of the truck. I figure 18 to 20 mpg, Hwy miles about 480 to tank, hwy & city I got about 454. It's a good looking truck. I get compliments on it all the time. I haven't done much to it, Stainless wheel to wheel nerf bars & tubular grill & soft snapless extreme tonneau cover, everything else stock.

Great Truck
By Hugh A. on 02/12/06 17:04 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought truck new, primary driver. Only tme in the shop was for recalls and minor maintenance. Gas mileage was as advertised both highway and city. Got the towing package tows boat with plenty horsepower to spare. Body still very clean after all the miles and weather. My wife and I always take it on vacations instead of car it is more comfortable wife likes being above the traffic for view. Also used as work truck tow haul feature very helpful when towing have towed car, boat trailer and tow haul rings all of needed horsepower from power range helping to get to speed and maintain it on highway. Have devloped some rattles but to be expected with this many miles. Love it would buy it again!

Great truck
By ajmcd64 on 07/24/05 12:29 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck from my next door neighbor with 14K miles on it. This truck has been relatively problem- free. The only problems I've had is the fuel gauge fluctuates. I was told by the dealer that the float switch deteriorates due to additives in the gas. The power seat switch sometimes won't move the seat more than an inch at a time. I have had some slip in the rear end from a stop, but it only happens once a month or so. Truck has a great ride when it has some cargo in the bed. I took it on a 1600 mile vacation with the wife and 2 kids. Great Trip! Other than that, no complaints. Heated mirrors are probably a waste, unless you plan on plowing snow, then they are a must