Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Ready to Move On
By Red

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this vehicle new and have enjoyed it. However, there have been some quality issues. Interior panels have all been very noisy and loose from the day it was driven off the lot. The digital odometer module quit lighting-up at 35,000 miles. Still keeps accurate mileage, just never know "how many" miles. Not much value to me any more. Will be donating it to charity by the end of this year. Hope it will help others.

Vehicle stand well above the traffic. Enjoy the height.

Battery quality electronics.

Reoccurring problems
By miker1267

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is comfortable and has adequate power however, the quality of some components leave a lot to be desired. When having the front brakes replaced I was told that the rear (emergency) brakes need to be replaced as they were metal on metal. I had not used the emergency brakes more than 2 or 3 times since I purchased the truck. The rear brakes had apparently locked in a semi-on position and ate thru the pads. The dealer told me that the factory had redesigned the mechanism on newer models. Obviously this was a design problem. The fuel gauge has gone erratic twice with a repair cost of $900 each time. They recommend a new wiring harness at the same time, another design problem.

Seats, interior

Fix fuel gauge and brake design problems. Redesign shroud around tail gate release. It can't be removed to fix the interior rod w/o breaking the tabs. $25 for a new one.

Great Truck
By ldiamo

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for 9 years. Highway, city, offroad. Hot sun, freezing winters with heavy, deep snow and ice, and torrential rain. My version is a 4DR Extended Cab SLE Z71, 5.3L with custom cap and racks. This is a fabulous truck. Handles great and delivers fantastic performance under absolutely any condition and/or load. But it had growing pains: bad ABS brakes,and some electrical issues with power windows and doors, and extended cab hinges that didn't fit properly in cold weather. All fixed over time and the brakes are now very good(watch out for the door hinges, though.)Now in 2009 I am trading it for a Suburban Z71 for a roomier cab (family has grown). I will miss this truck.

Superb unconditional performance. Excellent offroad (loves logging roads). Comfortable on long trips and just plain handles great. Wonderful 4WD system. Balances well under load. You will be rewared by giving it tires that are specific to your useage.

Better electrics (watch the power windows/doors). Extended cab doors have weak hinges. Drive train develops slack (lash) but is good. Transmission needs a design upgrade as the 4 speed auto is "slammy" and the "lash" doesn't help.

Great Truck, just won't stop!
By justin51

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

This is one heck of an awesome truck. I've loved it from the day I bought it and still love it today. It has been a work truck from the day I took it home, and after 170,000 miles it still is going strong. Love the reliability of it, never have to worry about that. I find it a little wierd but I have never had to change anything, or even touch the brakes, and they still look great, I was told this was b/c of the 4 Wheel ABS/Disc system. I own the 4.8L V8 model and get "great" gas mileage for a full size V8 truck, especially loaded with tools. 15 city, and 21 hwy. These number came with the help of some aftermarket parts, like K&N filter, & better plugs and wires. I hope you enjoy yours.

Engine, looks, dependability, and brakes are favorites but gas mileage is getting to be my favorite with gas at $4 a gallon.

A little nicer interior trim would be nice, although the seats in the one I have now are very comfortable.

I love my truck
By KRIS

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have had my truck for 2 years it has about 150k miles on it and I have not had hardly any problems out of it what so ever. This has been a great truck all around. Im impressed with my gas miliage also I still get about 18-20 in the city and and 22-24 on the hwy I guess. For the age and mileage this is still wonderful. I would definitely buy another truck like this and recomend them to friends and family. I also can tell you that this truck holds its own in wrecks. I have been in 1 wreck in this truck and it held together very well better than some bigger trucks that I have seen! The damage and the cost of repair were pretty minimum for the wreck.

Reliability mainly! I would give this truck an A+ all the way around!

Interior fashion maybe, and a better built stepside bed but other than that I have to say there isn't anything!