2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
Love this truck
By Spanky on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased brand new; 130,000 miles. Has performed exceptionally. I live in the desert and am used to problems with plastic pieces breaking; not so much with this truck. still looks like new after 10 years. Maintenance issues: Plastic retainer on tail gate latch (and cover that broke trying to access it) at 120,000 miles, Water pump (at 105,000 miles), fuels pump went bad around 40,000 miles ('cause of bad gas) and dealer replaced (under warranty) with S-10 style pump. Caused many problems. Once I went to an independent repair shop, it got fixed right. Took 45 min to lower spare tire 'cause of warped plastic sleeve that jack handle goes into. Ave mpg 15-17 (including 70+++ mph to Vegas).

Nothing but Love
By GMCfan on 03/06/10 23:17 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have loved this truck since I have owned it. I have added all sorts of extras like intake and exhaust work, so that is why some of my ratings are high. My only issue that I have had with this truck is the backseat. Once my daughter was born, trying to get a car seat in there safety has always been an issue. Nothing has ever gone wrong and only replaced things that I upgraded.

Reoccurring problems
By miker1267 on 07/30/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is comfortable and has adequate power however, the quality of some components leave a lot to be desired. When having the front brakes replaced I was told that the rear (emergency) brakes need to be replaced as they were metal on metal. I had not used the emergency brakes more than 2 or 3 times since I purchased the truck. The rear brakes had apparently locked in a semi-on position and ate thru the pads. The dealer told me that the factory had redesigned the mechanism on newer models. Obviously this was a design problem. The fuel gauge has gone erratic twice with a repair cost of $900 each time. They recommend a new wiring harness at the same time, another design problem.

Great Truck
By ldiamo on 05/14/09 10:42 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for 9 years. Highway, city, offroad. Hot sun, freezing winters with heavy, deep snow and ice, and torrential rain. My version is a 4DR Extended Cab SLE Z71, 5.3L with custom cap and racks. This is a fabulous truck. Handles great and delivers fantastic performance under absolutely any condition and/or load. But it had growing pains: bad ABS brakes,and some electrical issues with power windows and doors, and extended cab hinges that didn't fit properly in cold weather. All fixed over time and the brakes are now very good(watch out for the door hinges, though.)Now in 2009 I am trading it for a Suburban Z71 for a roomier cab (family has grown). I will miss this truck.

Great Truck, just won't stop!
By justin51 on 06/30/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

This is one heck of an awesome truck. I've loved it from the day I bought it and still love it today. It has been a work truck from the day I took it home, and after 170,000 miles it still is going strong. Love the reliability of it, never have to worry about that. I find it a little wierd but I have never had to change anything, or even touch the brakes, and they still look great, I was told this was b/c of the 4 Wheel ABS/Disc system. I own the 4.8L V8 model and get "great" gas mileage for a full size V8 truck, especially loaded with tools. 15 city, and 21 hwy. These number came with the help of some aftermarket parts, like K&N filter, & better plugs and wires. I hope you enjoy yours.

Great truck but fuel milage stinks.
By IsaiahCasey on 02/09/08 19:25 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck used last year love the design the ride and comfort. the gas mileage stinks but I wouldnt trade it for anything else. About a month after I bought the truck I had an electrical problem but it worked itself out. I just bought a meyers diamond snowplow and I am going to put it on this week. The truck has plenty of power to push snow. I work on a farm and I have a 4 ton trailer, and I can haul a 3 ton skidsteer on the trailer and she still has plenty of power.

Professional Grade Junk
By Ed Mack on 01/09/08 04:25 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck over others because I thought it was better built. The truck is not driven hard. I payed 30,000 for it and have been fixing it ever since. To the tune of 5,000 so far. Some of the things fixed are, Both window regulators, 2 sets of wheel bearings, abs braking system, water pump, fuel gauge, air compressor bearings, fuel pressure sensor, throttle plate replace, battery replace after 1yr, leather seat material rip after 1 year, payed 750 to fix it because it was running rough. I evetually found the problem to be a loose oxy sensor which should have cost nothing to fix. Also I think that the cost of getting this truck fixed at the dealer is crazy excessive. Won't buy another one ever

Some mechanical problems
By gmfan on 01/06/08 11:39 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am surprised to see so many positive reviews on this vehicle. True, it is fun to drive and has a good ride and great stereo, there have been several disappointing mechanical problems. It seems to chew through brake pads in about 10000 miles. This problem was worse before the recall work on the anti-lock brakes that I am surprised no one else has commented on. Also, the rear tailgate is about to rust off and a brake line has rusted through leading to a brake fluid loss and near braking disaster. Also, numerous squeaks and noises that are undiagnosable.

Nice truck
By M & K on 12/05/07 16:44 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I like my truck. Pretty good gas mileage for a V-8 (about 18-21 city and 22-24 highway). Comfy ride. A few problems with the rear driveline. Had to replace both u-joints about 6 months ago and now it is squeaking and clanking again. Rear axle probably needs to be rebuilt. 3-rd door is nice, but back seat as a little smaller than I'd like. Pretty good power and towing capabilities. Heater is bad- not very warm and I have to put it on high to even feel any air flow.

My 2000 GMC Sierra Experience
By RidgeRunner on 11/15/06 05:48 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been exceptionally reliable and dependable. I have had other older similar trucks (Chevy) but this truck is better. In 6 years, only one 4x4 switch on the dash has failed me. It is fun to drive and very functional, comfortable and well designed.