Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Love this truck
By Spanky

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased brand new; 130,000 miles. Has performed exceptionally. I live in the desert and am used to problems with plastic pieces breaking; not so much with this truck. still looks like new after 10 years. Maintenance issues: Plastic retainer on tail gate latch (and cover that broke trying to access it) at 120,000 miles, Water pump (at 105,000 miles), fuels pump went bad around 40,000 miles ('cause of bad gas) and dealer replaced (under warranty) with S-10 style pump. Caused many problems. Once I went to an independent repair shop, it got fixed right. Took 45 min to lower spare tire 'cause of warped plastic sleeve that jack handle goes into. Ave mpg 15-17 (including 70+++ mph to Vegas).

Very comfortable ride. Very durable with minimal maintenance issues. 3 cigarette adapters work great for ipods, etc.

Durability of plastic components always an issue. Fuel pump located inside the fuel tank seems insane. Other than upgrade such as bluetooth, auxilary audio input, and sun visor extensions, no real changes needed.

Nothing but Love
By GMCfan

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have loved this truck since I have owned it. I have added all sorts of extras like intake and exhaust work, so that is why some of my ratings are high. My only issue that I have had with this truck is the backseat. Once my daughter was born, trying to get a car seat in there safety has always been an issue. Nothing has ever gone wrong and only replaced things that I upgraded.

Engine,styling, 4th door on driver side

just having a bigger back set

Reoccurring problems
By miker1267

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is comfortable and has adequate power however, the quality of some components leave a lot to be desired. When having the front brakes replaced I was told that the rear (emergency) brakes need to be replaced as they were metal on metal. I had not used the emergency brakes more than 2 or 3 times since I purchased the truck. The rear brakes had apparently locked in a semi-on position and ate thru the pads. The dealer told me that the factory had redesigned the mechanism on newer models. Obviously this was a design problem. The fuel gauge has gone erratic twice with a repair cost of $900 each time. They recommend a new wiring harness at the same time, another design problem.

Seats, interior

Fix fuel gauge and brake design problems. Redesign shroud around tail gate release. It can't be removed to fix the interior rod w/o breaking the tabs. $25 for a new one.

Great Truck
By ldiamo

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this truck for 9 years. Highway, city, offroad. Hot sun, freezing winters with heavy, deep snow and ice, and torrential rain. My version is a 4DR Extended Cab SLE Z71, 5.3L with custom cap and racks. This is a fabulous truck. Handles great and delivers fantastic performance under absolutely any condition and/or load. But it had growing pains: bad ABS brakes,and some electrical issues with power windows and doors, and extended cab hinges that didn't fit properly in cold weather. All fixed over time and the brakes are now very good(watch out for the door hinges, though.)Now in 2009 I am trading it for a Suburban Z71 for a roomier cab (family has grown). I will miss this truck.

Superb unconditional performance. Excellent offroad (loves logging roads). Comfortable on long trips and just plain handles great. Wonderful 4WD system. Balances well under load. You will be rewared by giving it tires that are specific to your useage.

Better electrics (watch the power windows/doors). Extended cab doors have weak hinges. Drive train develops slack (lash) but is good. Transmission needs a design upgrade as the 4 speed auto is "slammy" and the "lash" doesn't help.

Great Truck, just won't stop!
By justin51

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

This is one heck of an awesome truck. I've loved it from the day I bought it and still love it today. It has been a work truck from the day I took it home, and after 170,000 miles it still is going strong. Love the reliability of it, never have to worry about that. I find it a little wierd but I have never had to change anything, or even touch the brakes, and they still look great, I was told this was b/c of the 4 Wheel ABS/Disc system. I own the 4.8L V8 model and get "great" gas mileage for a full size V8 truck, especially loaded with tools. 15 city, and 21 hwy. These number came with the help of some aftermarket parts, like K&N filter, & better plugs and wires. I hope you enjoy yours.

Engine, looks, dependability, and brakes are favorites but gas mileage is getting to be my favorite with gas at $4 a gallon.

A little nicer interior trim would be nice, although the seats in the one I have now are very comfortable.