Used 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Love this truck
By Spanky

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased brand new; 130,000 miles. Has performed exceptionally. I live in the desert and am used to problems with plastic pieces breaking; not so much with this truck. still looks like new after 10 years. Maintenance issues: Plastic retainer on tail gate latch (and cover that broke trying to access it) at 120,000 miles, Water pump (at 105,000 miles), fuels pump went bad around 40,000 miles ('cause of bad gas) and dealer replaced (under warranty) with S-10 style pump. Caused many problems. Once I went to an independent repair shop, it got fixed right. Took 45 min to lower spare tire 'cause of warped plastic sleeve that jack handle goes into. Ave mpg 15-17 (including 70+++ mph to Vegas).

Very comfortable ride. Very durable with minimal maintenance issues. 3 cigarette adapters work great for ipods, etc.

Durability of plastic components always an issue. Fuel pump located inside the fuel tank seems insane. Other than upgrade such as bluetooth, auxilary audio input, and sun visor extensions, no real changes needed.

2000 GMC Sierra Z71
By Brad

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Overall, I love the truck. It fires up every morning. I have had it for almost four years. I drive 30,000 miles a year with my job and it holds up great. The biggest repair I had to make was to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced a few years ago. The Gen III LS-based engines are notorious for that. I get about 15-17MPG no matter what kind of driving I do. Piddly things are starting to fail like lights on the radio & HVAC, lumbar support, and the console lid, but mechanically, it's as Professional Grade as ever! Someday I'll trade it in on a new Sierra/Silverado, but right now it does what I need it to do.

Auto 4WD, lumbar support (once I fix it), 5.3L V8 horsepower, tried and true 4L60E auto transmission, and "Ice" sensor, thermometer, compass in the rear-view mirror. The Silverado (it's twin) was 1999 Motor Trend Truck of the Year!

Bluetooth, Active Fuel Management, heated leather seats, but the new ones have all that! :0)

Nothing but Love
By GMCfan

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have loved this truck since I have owned it. I have added all sorts of extras like intake and exhaust work, so that is why some of my ratings are high. My only issue that I have had with this truck is the backseat. Once my daughter was born, trying to get a car seat in there safety has always been an issue. Nothing has ever gone wrong and only replaced things that I upgraded.

Engine,styling, 4th door on driver side

just having a bigger back set

Ready to Move On
By Red

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I purchased this vehicle new and have enjoyed it. However, there have been some quality issues. Interior panels have all been very noisy and loose from the day it was driven off the lot. The digital odometer module quit lighting-up at 35,000 miles. Still keeps accurate mileage, just never know "how many" miles. Not much value to me any more. Will be donating it to charity by the end of this year. Hope it will help others.

Vehicle stand well above the traffic. Enjoy the height.

Battery quality electronics.

Reoccurring problems
By miker1267

2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is comfortable and has adequate power however, the quality of some components leave a lot to be desired. When having the front brakes replaced I was told that the rear (emergency) brakes need to be replaced as they were metal on metal. I had not used the emergency brakes more than 2 or 3 times since I purchased the truck. The rear brakes had apparently locked in a semi-on position and ate thru the pads. The dealer told me that the factory had redesigned the mechanism on newer models. Obviously this was a design problem. The fuel gauge has gone erratic twice with a repair cost of $900 each time. They recommend a new wiring harness at the same time, another design problem.

Seats, interior

Fix fuel gauge and brake design problems. Redesign shroud around tail gate release. It can't be removed to fix the interior rod w/o breaking the tabs. $25 for a new one.