Used 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Amazing
By 4eyedfenix

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I got my truck for work. Was going to get it or a Ford. Glad I got this one. More than enough power to get my oversized tires to start spinning. I've pulled my father's 9000 lb boat without any struggle, I would recomend this truck to anyone, it out pulls and performs anything on the road

Favorite Features

The engine is outstanding. So much power and super good reliability. Just normal stuff with 115,000 miles

Suggested Improvements

Posi in the rear. The locker doesn't cut it in some instances

99 Sierra Step Side Reg Cab 2w drive
By mwcook99

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased this truck new in 1999. It now has 205,000 miles. Has been a great, reliable truck. Great tire mileage, got 100000 miles out of the factory installed tires (Generals). Still on the third set of tires. Transmission got hot and had to be rebuilt at 130000, put a trans cooler on to fix that problem. Had a bad lifter at 75000 but a new set is still working fine. No other major problems. Still looks good, drives great. Only wish it got better gas mileage, 17 to 20 mpg is it with the V-6.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, Red Step Side. Chrome wheels. Great ride for a short wheelbase truck. Interior fabrics and carpet still look new, have held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, especially for a V- 6. Put a trans cooler on as standard equipment. Better stereo speakers.

I'm impressed
By Bob

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My first full sized truck. 5.3L engine has been great. The truck has 80k miles and has had very few mechanical problems. I easily average 16 to 18 mpg around town and 20 to 21 mpg on hwy which is darn good for a full sized truck.

Favorite Features

Comfort and power plus fuel economy for a large vehicle. Excellent overall reliability so far (7 years and 80k miles). Great engine/transmission access and design. Good brake design. Good tow vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise from rear side windows. Paint clear coat (I've noticed minor defects as it ages). The single mechanical problem has been the drivers-side power window motor/cable assembly. I've changed it twice. Unacceptable! Drive shaft slightly imbalanced at low speed towing uphill.

Great Truck
By Nick C

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I enjoy driving my truck day in and day out. I have no complaints about it so far. I have only had the truck for about two months now. The 4 wheel drive has tore through everything i have put it up against. Its nice!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the four wheel drive!

Suggested Improvements

Keep it the way you have it now!

Satisfied for the most part
By Raven1

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Sierra used with about 45000 miles on it. It now has 92000. The problems with the power windows are for real. I replaced the driver side motor and I believe that either side could break again at any moment. The transmission went out at about 80000 miles (one of the drums broke). The dash rattles from time to time. Aside from these problems, the truck really has been reliable and enjoyable. The 5.3 has lots of power, but I do notice a difference in the summer with the AC on. I have enjoyed my GMC, but I will look into a ford when buying my next truck (a crew cab), but there is a good chance I will end up back in a GMC or a Chevy.

Favorite Features

I really like the fire engine red paint. 5.3 gets the job done.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the interior. The stereo sound is not very good.