Used 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

I'm impressed
By Bob

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My first full sized truck. 5.3L engine has been great. The truck has 80k miles and has had very few mechanical problems. I easily average 16 to 18 mpg around town and 20 to 21 mpg on hwy which is darn good for a full sized truck.

Favorite Features

Comfort and power plus fuel economy for a large vehicle. Excellent overall reliability so far (7 years and 80k miles). Great engine/transmission access and design. Good brake design. Good tow vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise from rear side windows. Paint clear coat (I've noticed minor defects as it ages). The single mechanical problem has been the drivers-side power window motor/cable assembly. I've changed it twice. Unacceptable! Drive shaft slightly imbalanced at low speed towing uphill.

127,000 miles and still going strong!
By WJBJR

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

99 Sierra SLT Ex. cab. Just hit 127k. Extremely reliable. No issues. Slight engine tapping for 30 seconds when cold. Does not burn oil. Have mainitained very well. Orig. trans mission that shows very little wear when the filter is replaced. Very quite, comfortable, fun to drive while still delivering decent mileage 15/19. This is my 2nd GMC truck. My 1991 was sold for 50% of what I paid for it with 160000 miles. It was also very reliable. My father drove my 99 Sierra a couple of times and sold his 1990 FORD truck and purchased a new 2000 GMC Sierra Z71. He loves it. (so does mom).

Favorite Features

The transmission tow/haul feature works great with heavy loads. The driver information center is very informative. The power is the best. I love gunning it at about 30 mph having my spine realigned. Quiet and smooth ride. The amount of space in the extended cab is more than ample.

Suggested Improvements

The headlight system is automatic on this model and does not have a manual override. Slight tapping when starting engine for about 30 seconds. I have heard of other models doing this. Supposedly it is a charactoristic.