1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
1999 SLE 1500 Sierra GMC
By traceylynn on 09/05/12 06:17 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my GMC in 2003, it had 52,000 miles, the first time I drove it, I loved the power from behind the wheel. I love this truck. Mechanic tried to tell me that it didn't have a 4.8,lol, so I had to prove it to him. This is an excellent truck and very reliable. Today it has 117,000, and you can't even hear it run, she purrs like a kitten. I have always driven a GMC, and always will.

blows away the competition
By badblacksierra on 08/23/12 02:28 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

i have a 99 sierra 4.8 sle with 400,000kms and still runs like new on original motor and transmission these are amazing trucks !!!! give them the regular maintenance they require and it will never die , it is still my daily driver , and by far i would NOT trade my 14 year old truck even for a 2012 , this truck still has beaten a 5.7 ram and a f150 (ram was a 2009) (ford was a 2007) and literally beats them both in every test i put it up to , and its 14 years old!!! bravo GM with this truck you have won me as a customer for life!!!

No more GM products for me.
By Wham on 06/14/10 12:22 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Problems before '05- transmission went out, ABS quit due to computer glitch, seal in four wheel drive started leaking, the cd player went out, the control nobs for the radio cracked and some fell off, the tailgate cables snapped on three separate occasions, once while I was loading an ATV. The tailgate then received a slight dent when it hit the bumper. GM said that their research has shown only the '00 and later models were affected by this. I'm thinking apparently not! It's the same exact cable! A year or two later they finally agreed. Throttle sticks starting off, back windows whistle, clear coat started separating and flaking off two years ago. Not enough room to tell it all!

best truck ive ever owned
By pilaf on 09/22/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

i have never owned a better truck the throttle is firm and reassuring ride quality is great its top speed might only be 98 mph but it gets up the really fast if ferrari made a truck the gmc sierra would be it power and fuel economy in one package strong responsive steering makes it easy to drive this truck likes to cruise@about 90 mph takes corners like an f1 race car!!!!

Well boys.....
By twuck on 08/06/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

bought 2wd SLE, 5.3L V8 new in may 1999. still using the orignal brake pads and spark plugs. starter dead at 110K. Started leaking oil at rear seal about 60K. Let leak for the next 60K miles before I had a mechanic replace the seal for $572.00. enough said - it's ok to top off with fresh oil. I've actually drove it around for quite a few days with the check oil message and then had to add 1 full qt. This truck takes my abuse. Trucks gets 15mpg, no matter what. Interior headliner is starting to peel, pass side electronic window cable broke-who designed this??? AC blows as cols as ice. Friends who have newer Chevy's have more problems that I. CD player skips now. Very happy with it so far!

Amazing
By 4eyedfenix on 12/12/08 19:59 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I got my truck for work. Was going to get it or a Ford. Glad I got this one. More than enough power to get my oversized tires to start spinning. I've pulled my father's 9000 lb boat without any struggle, I would recomend this truck to anyone, it out pulls and performs anything on the road

I'm impressed
By Bob on 02/15/06 16:08 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My first full sized truck. 5.3L engine has been great. The truck has 80k miles and has had very few mechanical problems. I easily average 16 to 18 mpg around town and 20 to 21 mpg on hwy which is darn good for a full sized truck.

Satisfied for the most part
By Raven1 on 01/28/06 19:22 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my Sierra used with about 45000 miles on it. It now has 92000. The problems with the power windows are for real. I replaced the driver side motor and I believe that either side could break again at any moment. The transmission went out at about 80000 miles (one of the drums broke). The dash rattles from time to time. Aside from these problems, the truck really has been reliable and enjoyable. The 5.3 has lots of power, but I do notice a difference in the summer with the AC on. I have enjoyed my GMC, but I will look into a ford when buying my next truck (a crew cab), but there is a good chance I will end up back in a GMC or a Chevy.

Love the Z71 but mileage is taking toll
By gmc2349 on 09/02/05 08:44 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Just hit 90k and the repairs are starting to come in fast. Rear end needed to be replaced, along with front diff to be resealed. Transfer case just had to cleaned up from factory flaw. Front wheel bearings went out too all in under 10 months. That's about $3k in work done. Nothing else out there gets me excited as my Z71 SLT. Great truck, just reliability is becoming an issue at 100k.

A great truck
By stangin1 on 01/04/05 20:44 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been very reliable and it still looks great. It has pulled whatever we needed it to. We have pulled cars from CA to MO and back with no problems.