Used 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

1999 SLE 1500 Sierra GMC
By traceylynn

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my GMC in 2003, it had 52,000 miles, the first time I drove it, I loved the power from behind the wheel. I love this truck. Mechanic tried to tell me that it didn't have a 4.8,lol, so I had to prove it to him. This is an excellent truck and very reliable. Today it has 117,000, and you can't even hear it run, she purrs like a kitten. I have always driven a GMC, and always will.

I love the way the truck looks from the front. I hope they never change the style.

My Hinges that hold my tailgate on are rotted out. I have had to replace the window motor on both windows. Handles that open the doors have both fallen off. I had a bad coil that just had to be replaced. Rust just starting around the back wheel wells. Dirt and water hold inside the frame around the wheel wells, and thats why it started ro rust, I cleaned it out and sprayed a rubber to stop it from rusting any further. I love my truck I see newer trucks all the time, I would never get rid of my truck. Its my Baby.

blows away the competition
By badblacksierra

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

i have a 99 sierra 4.8 sle with 400,000kms and still runs like new on original motor and transmission these are amazing trucks !!!! give them the regular maintenance they require and it will never die , it is still my daily driver , and by far i would NOT trade my 14 year old truck even for a 2012 , this truck still has beaten a 5.7 ram and a f150 (ram was a 2009) (ford was a 2007) and literally beats them both in every test i put it up to , and its 14 years old!!! bravo GM with this truck you have won me as a customer for life!!!

the whole truck as itself , especially the fuel economy and power the little 4.8 V8 has to offer feels like im driving a 350 small block chevy for power

would have been nicer if it was a little more classy looking inside , but thats what escalade interior swaps are for 2002 escalade bolts right up like it was meant for this truck :)

No more GM products for me.
By Wham

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Problems before '05- transmission went out, ABS quit due to computer glitch, seal in four wheel drive started leaking, the cd player went out, the control nobs for the radio cracked and some fell off, the tailgate cables snapped on three separate occasions, once while I was loading an ATV. The tailgate then received a slight dent when it hit the bumper. GM said that their research has shown only the '00 and later models were affected by this. I'm thinking apparently not! It's the same exact cable! A year or two later they finally agreed. Throttle sticks starting off, back windows whistle, clear coat started separating and flaking off two years ago. Not enough room to tell it all!

After all those problems, I do love the way the truck drives and it is comfortable. I'm not confident enough in it to take a cross country drive anymore, but I will finish it off here on the farm.

GM needs to improve the quality. It's too late to fool me again, but if they hope to stay in business they best improve. You wouldn't believe the run around I received while trying to resolve the tailgate cable incident. I sent all the paperwork in for my reimbursement, but never received a dime.

best truck ive ever owned
By pilaf

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

i have never owned a better truck the throttle is firm and reassuring ride quality is great its top speed might only be 98 mph but it gets up the really fast if ferrari made a truck the gmc sierra would be it power and fuel economy in one package strong responsive steering makes it easy to drive this truck likes to cruise@about 90 mph takes corners like an f1 race car!!!!

message center makes this truck idiot proof

no governer ,diesel engine and a manual transmission!!

Well boys.....
By twuck

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 3dr Extended Cab SB

bought 2wd SLE, 5.3L V8 new in may 1999. still using the orignal brake pads and spark plugs. starter dead at 110K. Started leaking oil at rear seal about 60K. Let leak for the next 60K miles before I had a mechanic replace the seal for $572.00. enough said - it's ok to top off with fresh oil. I've actually drove it around for quite a few days with the check oil message and then had to add 1 full qt. This truck takes my abuse. Trucks gets 15mpg, no matter what. Interior headliner is starting to peel, pass side electronic window cable broke-who designed this??? AC blows as cols as ice. Friends who have newer Chevy's have more problems that I. CD player skips now. Very happy with it so far!

reliable. Seriously, 130K on the factory brake pads. Unreal, but true. Never had any problems with wheel bearings.

Better MFG - wish it would get 17-18 mpg.