Used 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

its a [non-permissible content removed] tank
By 16stmica

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i have had my 1997 GMC sierra 1500 (it a heavy half ton) for 10 years ever since my grampus ford got stolen. dam good truck loved it since the day we bought it its a 4wd has 203837 miles on it it blue has a regular cab its an sl it has a towing package.

all

none

Love My GMC Truck
By Dr. Grimes

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have pulled stumps with this vehicle as well as a utility trailer with household articles, motorcycle, and ATV. It never had any trouble. I did have the water pump changed a while back. The previous owner had placed small wheels on it for some reason. I put the size tires it should have had. Therefore, I think the mileage is a good bit less than the 60000 that the odometer reads.

My favorite feature is its ability to take a big load anywhere. I like its electric seat, great radio and third door.

I does get more than the 13 mpg that is suggested in the review. It can get that much pulling a light load.

The best truck I ever had!
By WICKKED

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab C1500 SL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have a lead foot and every month or so I'm replacing the bald rear tires. I have driven a lot of veichles and this one has stood up to the abuse allmost as good as the 94 Chevy Cavalier I had. This truck is awesome. It's a 5 speed and I have no trouble with it. As much as I rag on it it still passes emissions with no trouble.

I can put 5 gallons in it and go 80-100 miles

Split bench seats or buckets would be better

Dependable truck
By sierra21122

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab C1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought this truck with 165,000kms on it. Very well maintained and in perfect shape. I have driven it a total of 10,000kms to date. It's the 4.3L V6 motor which gets anywhere from 15-21 mpg in the city, I have no idea why it fluctuates so much but the drop came with the cold weather. The truck is dependable but performance is weak (definitely suggest the v8 models). The A/C condenser has a leak now it does not work. The transmission sometimes makes hard shifts. The rear shocks are clunky now and will need to be replaced. Otherwise regular maintenance seems to keep this truck running well. Couldn't ask for more from a truck.

Body styling (old truck like). Power steering (effortless!). Simple to repair & cheap parts

Better seats. Better dashboard (very boring to look at)

Time out!!
By edelp

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular Cab K1500 SL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Third GM with intake manifold leaks. 1 4.3, and 2, 5.7 vortecs. GM knows this problem exists. ASK ANY DEALER. Sun Crashes dashes. Two water pumps, one on 4.3with 47000 miles, one on 5.7 with 50M Rattles in dash. Gas mileage on 5.7 is excessive. New tune up may get 15... Heater hoses are poor quality...corrosion.

Powerful in all engines. Grillwork is beautiful. Appearance is not an issue. Have 5 GM's but beginning to think about TOYs and Nissan. Watch out when they increase engine size (torque).

Put more than 8 bolts in the INTAKE MANIFOLD!!!! Do something with those quick disconnect heater hoses corroding.