Used 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

third gm truck
By r3d_elite

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab C1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab LB

this is my third gm truck and i have yet to be disappointed. first truck was an 87 chevy that i drove until i hit a deer and ditch and the frame warped. second finally gave in when the truck was loaned to a friend (at the time) and they blew the engine.... (friends dont beat friends' vehicles...) this 97 gmc has 220k on it and still running great yeah some maintenance is required but that comes with all vehicles. who needs a jap vehicle. id like to see how many honda's can pull a stump out of the ground then go on a comfortable 3 hour trip back home

good engines and body styling. reliable when maintained properly.

transmissions are sketchy in these vehicles but other than that i really cant complain im at a total of 428k miles and ive only had to replace one transmission a lot of oil and quite a few tires. this spread between 3 vehicles mind you.

Greatest Truck Ever!
By codymortensen58

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Truck has 250,000+ miles on it and it is still running great, i live on a country road in Minnesota and it takes the snow and heat with no problem at all. It has little to no rust on it because i wash it biweekly. The greatest truck i have ever owned, i upped the tire size to 285 just to give it a beefier look and to help in the field. I guarentee that this truck will get me another 200,000 if it keeps up at this pace!

Vortec 350, power seat, lays rubber, smooth ride, and great sleek look.

Needs none.

Best Truck On the Road
By rebecca

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought truck 10 years ago, with 12,000 miles on it. Fuel pump at 100,000 another at 200,000. Wiper problem was a solder-fix. New starter, alternator. Truck runs like a champ, lots of power, has 210,000 on 350 vortec and I'm leaving for a 1000 mile trip next week. A comfortable ride, killer music system (after-market), tinted windows. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

The style-design, comfort, smooth ride, dependability.

the windshield wiper problem with the solder connections...looked on the computer and found the fix.

GMC 1500 great truck
By Wadek

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have a 1997 GMC 1500 extended cab. This is the greatest truck Ive ever had.It has about 125,000 miles on it and sill runs strong. Plenty of towing power. I love every feature on this. If you wax and wash them and keep the scratches off it looks great and with regular maintenance this truck lasts.

Towing power, quick acceleration, and the 4x4 is always getting me out of ditches and up muddy hills.

My ac went out a few weeks ago so stronger ac.

my 1st new vehicle ever
By richard

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab C1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck in 97 new off the lot. I replaced the tranmission twice, water pump, radiator, wiper motor, power steering pump twice, and the AC went out at 155000 miles. I loved this truck and would love to keep and fix it up. It has 223,000 on the small v-8 motor but needed a better mileage with fuel @ $3.50 a gallon. Everyone who rode with me thought it was such a nice truck. My lil kids love to ride with me and the fact that I could turn off the airbags, made them extremely happy.

The seat and overall reliability, although after 150,000 miles it did have probelms. It was great to ride and easy to drive. The stero was great and sounded wonderful. Also,

The major thing I would fix is the transmission and door panels and the door locks. The plastic door locks and door handles tend to break easily.