1997 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:
third gm truck
By r3d_elite on 08/28/12 15:28 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab LB

this is my third gm truck and i have yet to be disappointed. first truck was an 87 chevy that i drove until i hit a deer and ditch and the frame warped. second finally gave in when the truck was loaned to a friend (at the time) and they blew the engine.... (friends dont beat friends' vehicles...) this 97 gmc has 220k on it and still running great yeah some maintenance is required but that comes with all vehicles. who needs a jap vehicle. id like to see how many honda's can pull a stump out of the ground then go on a comfortable 3 hour trip back home

its a [non-permissible content removed] tank
By 16stmica on 04/07/12 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i have had my 1997 GMC sierra 1500 (it a heavy half ton) for 10 years ever since my grampus ford got stolen. dam good truck loved it since the day we bought it its a 4wd has 203837 miles on it it blue has a regular cab its an sl it has a towing package.

Greatest Truck Ever!
By codymortensen58 on 05/18/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My Truck has 250,000+ miles on it and it is still running great, i live on a country road in Minnesota and it takes the snow and heat with no problem at all. It has little to no rust on it because i wash it biweekly. The greatest truck i have ever owned, i upped the tire size to 285 just to give it a beefier look and to help in the field. I guarentee that this truck will get me another 200,000 if it keeps up at this pace!

Best Truck On the Road
By rebecca on 09/30/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought truck 10 years ago, with 12,000 miles on it. Fuel pump at 100,000 another at 200,000. Wiper problem was a solder-fix. New starter, alternator. Truck runs like a champ, lots of power, has 210,000 on 350 vortec and I'm leaving for a 1000 mile trip next week. A comfortable ride, killer music system (after-market), tinted windows. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

GMC 1500 great truck
By Wadek on 07/25/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have a 1997 GMC 1500 extended cab. This is the greatest truck Ive ever had.It has about 125,000 miles on it and sill runs strong. Plenty of towing power. I love every feature on this. If you wax and wash them and keep the scratches off it looks great and with regular maintenance this truck lasts.

Love My GMC Truck
By Dr. Grimes on 06/15/09 10:51 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I have pulled stumps with this vehicle as well as a utility trailer with household articles, motorcycle, and ATV. It never had any trouble. I did have the water pump changed a while back. The previous owner had placed small wheels on it for some reason. I put the size tires it should have had. Therefore, I think the mileage is a good bit less than the 60000 that the odometer reads.

my 1st new vehicle ever
By richard on 05/01/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck in 97 new off the lot. I replaced the tranmission twice, water pump, radiator, wiper motor, power steering pump twice, and the AC went out at 155000 miles. I loved this truck and would love to keep and fix it up. It has 223,000 on the small v-8 motor but needed a better mileage with fuel @ $3.50 a gallon. Everyone who rode with me thought it was such a nice truck. My lil kids love to ride with me and the fact that I could turn off the airbags, made them extremely happy.

The best truck I ever had!
By WICKKED on 03/12/08 00:47 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have a lead foot and every month or so I'm replacing the bald rear tires. I have driven a lot of veichles and this one has stood up to the abuse allmost as good as the 94 Chevy Cavalier I had. This truck is awesome. It's a 5 speed and I have no trouble with it. As much as I rag on it it still passes emissions with no trouble.

Dependable truck
By sierra21122 on 12/01/07 11:06 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I bought this truck with 165,000kms on it. Very well maintained and in perfect shape. I have driven it a total of 10,000kms to date. It's the 4.3L V6 motor which gets anywhere from 15-21 mpg in the city, I have no idea why it fluctuates so much but the drop came with the cold weather. The truck is dependable but performance is weak (definitely suggest the v8 models). The A/C condenser has a leak now it does not work. The transmission sometimes makes hard shifts. The rear shocks are clunky now and will need to be replaced. Otherwise regular maintenance seems to keep this truck running well. Couldn't ask for more from a truck.

A Great Truck
By Great truck on 11/23/07 18:34 PM (PST)

1997 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Currently at 262,000 km. This truck has been excellent. Only had to have work done on the manifold gasket twice& replaced fuel pump. I look forward to driving in it everyday. I prefer it to the newer models and hope to keep it for as long as possible. It rides nicely. I get pretty good mileage for a truck (last fill up I got 534 k.m with the tank.) I would recommend this truck to anyone who is looking for a very reliable, comfortable truck.