Used 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Love My Z71
By edwnek3

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I got my Z71 from work. I work at a pawn shop where one of our customers needed to pawn the truck, after we had it for a few weeks he needed a second loan on it and we gave it to him. A few weeks later he asked us to just buy the truck minus what he already owed in pawn. Of course we did and I immediately began hounding the shop owner to sell it to me. I couldn't be happier with the truck. It's big and bad-ass. Fixed it up with Flowmaster exhaust, brush guard and 17" in rims. We pulled an extremely large pontoon boat out of water and across town, truck didn't even care it was back there!! 10 stars out of a possible 5!

Favorite Features

4WD works great, climbs good offroad, plenty of power with 350. Love the 3rd door.

Suggested Improvements

Would love more room behind the rear seat. Hard to fit a speaker box in it other then under the seat.

1996 gmc sierra 1500 ext cab z71 4x4 . i love it
By charles84

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

i got my sierra as a early graduation present and i couldnt ask for more, the 350 has a lot power,very roomy Interior,real smooth ride to the driver and the passangers.also got the off road kit.good gas millage.my only problems so far have been brakes and routine maintaince oil changes,transmission fluid and etc.tows and hauls great,recently was towin a horse trailer and i could'nt even tell it was back there.very fun to drive.power seats are awesome specially for me,im not a small man and i still got plenty room behind the wheel.handles great to be a full size truck.like i said before i couldnt ask for more.

Favorite Features

powerseats,execellent heat and air,great handling,great 350 power.leahter seats.4x4.

Suggested Improvements

the brake pedal is alittle too soft.

great truck
By chuck

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

if you want a truck that is fun to drive reliable and built to last then you will love this truck it beats ford's 96 f-150 by a long shot

Favorite Features

4x4 ext. cab

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy and me and few of my freind that have the same truck say that after a few uses their windshield wipers short short circuit but it is a cheap fix

Proud GMC owner
By William Wheeler

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab K1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is one of the best trucks I have ever owned, driven daily by my wife, a school teacher. I took it over about 5 years ago and have had no problems, only scheduled maintaince.

Favorite Features

A 4-wheel drive with a great ride,easy to see gauges, and convenient controls. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fit and trim inside making the appearance more appealing and stay in the same position as was originally installed.

Great Truck
By Rich

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab C1500 SLE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I am the original owner. Best truck I've owned, beats the F150 I had hands down. Low maintenance costs, only real work was a leaking master cylinder replacement at 2,000 miles (under warranty) and head gasket at approximately 120,000. Only other work was routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, very comfortable even in rough terrain. Used it to go hunting for several years in Missouri, handled well in the snow and limited off road (only have 2 wheel drive). Like my other GM vehicles, great heater, warms very quickly in coldest weather.

Suggested Improvements

I would have preferred some other design for the cup holders, especially the spare that pops out of the side, its just not deep enough to hold the cup safely.