Used 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Best looking and functional work truck ever!
By Alexander Kovach

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 C1500 SL 2dr Extended Cab SB

First, understand that this is a 20 year old truck, free of bells and whistles by today's standards.

Now the good. This truck is solid. This is my second K1500, the first went for 300k miles. These are sturdy! Vortec engines are very well machined, and with routine maintenance, they will run as long as you own your truck. Towing has been great. I have the 305ci 5.0L with the 5 speed manual transmission, and that control of the shifting is exactly what I wanted.

If you need to make repairs, the maintenance is a snap. The engine bay is large, with lots of space; swapping out an alternator, waterpump, plugs etc, are a breeze. The only issue I've had is the AC compressor developed a leak after 20 years. NOT BAD AT ALL!

The price is excellent! For $5000 you can find these in excellent condition, and drive them for years! Best functional work truck for the money, and lots of aftermarket replacement parts available. This is the best variety of pickups GM ever put out.

Love My Z71
By edwnek3

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I got my Z71 from work. I work at a pawn shop where one of our customers needed to pawn the truck, after we had it for a few weeks he needed a second loan on it and we gave it to him. A few weeks later he asked us to just buy the truck minus what he already owed in pawn. Of course we did and I immediately began hounding the shop owner to sell it to me. I couldn't be happier with the truck. It's big and bad-ass. Fixed it up with Flowmaster exhaust, brush guard and 17" in rims. We pulled an extremely large pontoon boat out of water and across town, truck didn't even care it was back there!! 10 stars out of a possible 5!

4WD works great, climbs good offroad, plenty of power with 350. Love the 3rd door.

Would love more room behind the rear seat. Hard to fit a speaker box in it other then under the seat.

1996 gmc sierra 1500 ext cab z71 4x4 . i love it
By charles84

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

i got my sierra as a early graduation present and i couldnt ask for more, the 350 has a lot power,very roomy Interior,real smooth ride to the driver and the passangers.also got the off road kit.good gas millage.my only problems so far have been brakes and routine maintaince oil changes,transmission fluid and etc.tows and hauls great,recently was towin a horse trailer and i could'nt even tell it was back there.very fun to drive.power seats are awesome specially for me,im not a small man and i still got plenty room behind the wheel.handles great to be a full size truck.like i said before i couldnt ask for more.

powerseats,execellent heat and air,great handling,great 350 power.leahter seats.4x4.

the brake pedal is alittle too soft.

great truck
By chuck

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

if you want a truck that is fun to drive reliable and built to last then you will love this truck it beats ford's 96 f-150 by a long shot

4x4 ext. cab

fuel economy and me and few of my freind that have the same truck say that after a few uses their windshield wipers short short circuit but it is a cheap fix

great truck
By Tom

1996 GMC Sierra 1500 K1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have only had this truck for a year but i can tell you straight out that it is one of the best trucks i have ever owned very fun to driv

5L engine fun to drive very reliable

I wish the back door opened you have to slide the seat forward to get in the back seat