Used 1998 GMC Savana Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 GMC Savana Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Savana model:

GMC Savana
By SHANE GRIMES

1998 GMC Savana Van G2500 SLE 3dr Van

When my diesel van was new, from 1 to 3 yrs it had engine problems, transmission, alternator, sliding door, and few other problems, but they eventually got fixed. It is now pretty reliable except for the alternator belt has flown off 3 times. Despite the problems I've had, I love my van! It tows great! I have no problems passing any other truck type vehicles on any mountain passes. My husband agrees it out performs his 1997 4x4 dually Chevy diesel truck, except there is no 4wheel drive. I can honestly say this vehicle has enhanced my life, because of its towing abilities and the inside room it provides. I've learned to live with the cheap interior. I will buy this vehicle again, with 4wheel drive.

Towing. Inside room. A/C in front and back. The ability to take my back seats out.

Get rid of the plastic interior. Diesel engine too noisy, needs 4 wheel drive. Overhead storage compartments would be great. Back seat reading lights are needed, along with cup holders.

Lots of Repairs
By NelsonVSM

1998 GMC Savana Van G1500 SLE 3dr Van

I have a Glavel (AutoForm) conversion with 75,000 miles. Very nice for kids for travel and camper. Lots of problems including: new transmission (3,000 miles), new dash board cluster, broken CD, broke power attenna, new power window motors, dash replaced twice, failed water pump, failed AC, 3 batteries, brakes every 14,000 miles, etc.

Great for long travel trips. Roomy for kids. Ease of towing trailer.

Much stronger reliability and maintenance support. Better support for rear AC unit and non-rusting tubes underneath. Not designed for the North.

Great Conversion Van
By ruspol

1998 GMC Savana Van G1500 SLE 3dr Van

I purchased a used 98 Savana conversion van last week and I can't stop driving it. THe leather seats are very comfortable and leg room is excellent. I made my first road trip to San Diego and cruised at 85mph and got 15 miles per gallon.

Leg room for driver, leather chairs and roominess of entire van.

Make engine more accessible.

Great Van - built solid
By stockmds

1998 GMC Savana Van G1500 SLE 3dr Van

This is my secound GMC. I bought this one new and paid almost $35,000. The price was a little step, but it is very dependable. I have only need a few minor repare and they were covered under warranty. This is a great van and I am very satisfied.

Power & performance

Low fuel ecconamy. (12-15MPG)on the open road.

Windy!
By tfw3

1998 GMC Savana Van G1500 SLE 3dr Van

I paid close to 35K for an Exployer conversion. Great looking interior. However the ride is only fair and @ highway speed there is so much wind noise it is hard to hold a conversation

Nice looking, great interior

Too many to list. Start by reducing wind noise and engine noise, side view mirrors vibrate severely