Used 2003 GMC Savana Cargo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Gmc Savana-cargo - Consumer Reviews

2003 GMC Savana Cargo

View reviews for a specific Savana Cargo model:

03 AWD Savana Cargo "Doors Galore"
By savanaman

2003 GMC Savana Cargo 1500 AWD 3dr Van (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my van ! I have had vans all my life but the modern AWD , rack and pinion , all wheel disc , full size Savana drives like a Cadillac and I get 17 mpg consistently when its not brutally cold . I live in Minnesota . I had reservations about the drivers side double doors as I had never had that option before , I soon realized that when you jump out of your truck but need to reenter to grab something you are hauling around you can't beat drivers side double doors for access ! I drove over 100,000 miles before my Brakes needed pads and have had except for some minor door switch partial failures "No Problems" with my truck ! Did I say "I Love This Truck" ?

Favorite Features

Drives like Cadillac Double doors all the way around 17 MPG in a full size van AWD Nice looking body style Cargo van yet the cab has all options

Suggested Improvements

Put a Cummins diesel in it ?

Overall excellent
By Shane Henderson

2003 GMC Savana Cargo 2500 AWD 3dr Van (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had one major problem since I bought it new a few years ago. The pas-lock security feature disables the fuel injection so that it won't start. The dealer replaced the computer and it malfunctioned again within a couple days. I cleaned the electrical contacts on the doors and it hasn't messed up since. But it nearly left me stranded. I am not completely sure that was it but it has been a while since it had the problem. Other than that, the van has been great. A driveshaft seal is starting to leak and the dealer wants almost $500 to fix it. My van has about 63,000 miles on it now. Engine has awesome horsepower too.V8.

Favorite Features

Favorite by far is the AWD. It also came with a posi-trac rear end so I never get stuck in snow. I feel very safe when driving this in the Colorado mountains. The engine power is also most excellent with not too shabby fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the pas-lock security garbage. Check internet websites on this and you will see a lot of unhappy people who have this waste of poor technology. It is difficult to impossible to disable this thing. Also, the transmission could work a little better when going up hills.

Cargo Van
By Steven

2003 GMC Savana Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We use this van in our air conditioning business. It carries about 2,000 pounds of racks, equipment and tools daily and is a workhorse. After almost 50,000 miles it has had no major problems and runs great. The brakes are huge 4 wheel discs and the pads are still original. It's a perfect fit for our business.

Favorite Features

Size, the extended wheelbase is large enough for tools, parts, and a complete A/C system. You don't even know that you are carrying the extra weight. The engine has tons of power. Brakes are excellent. Towing is no problem.

Suggested Improvements

The sliding side door may be a better option for us. We average about 12 Mpg which is mainly city driving. The diesel engine which is now available would improve fuel economy although for it's size and weight I don't think 12 mpg is too bad.

I love my GMC
By Thomas Dankert

2003 GMC Savana Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Savana 2500 extended van has surpassed my expectations. I love my van and couldn't imagine performing my job without it. 83,000 miles in 3 yrs and it's still running as good as the day I bought it. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

I especially like the power under tow it has in reserve. I'm an impatient driver, but no problem with this van. I always tow an 18ft. trailer and have absolutely no problem passing just about anyone or anything on the highway. Awsome!

Suggested Improvements

I would like to have doors on both sides of the van and better fuel economy. Other than that, I've been completely satisfied.

Excellent Cargo Van!
By forever4

2003 GMC Savana Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this for utility, and was not expecting a lot, but this van rides fantastic, steers and handles well, is tight and quiet, very comfortable seats, and great power and 18 MPG on the 5300 V8!!!!!

Favorite Features

Unbelievably good value and performance, low cost. I am very pleasantly suprised!

Suggested Improvements

Needs RH Convex Rear view mirror like used on passenger vans.