2000 GMC Savana Cargo 4.3L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Dependable, hard-working truck

2000 GMC Savana Cargo - Consumer Review

G1500 Cargo Van (4.3L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Dependable, hard-working truck
By Kentraveler on

2000 GMC Savana Cargo G1500 3dr Van

I have had excellent perfomance from my Savana and have not had even one problem. I did have the dealer correct the wheel alignment under warranty which did not cost me at all. I changed the original brakes at 60,000 miles and installed new Monomax shocks w/ an anti-sway bar on the rear suspension so I could tow motorcycles. Replaced the original tires at 45,000. I get 20mpg on the freeway and 15mpg city. I change the oil every 3k with synthetic oil and lube the front end at the same time. I have transported 8 people in this van as well as my touring Kawasaki motorcycle with no problem and still the same mileage. How you maintain and drive a vehicle makes a lot of difference.

Favorite Features

5.7 liter V-8, 15" custom wheels, Huge hauling and moving capability out of the elements. Decent gas mileage for such a large vehicle. Looks modern compared to Ford Van. 2005 now has 4- wheel disc brakes and new sheet metal. This van rides like a car, not a pickup truck, very stable.

Suggested Improvements

Replace air filter w/ K&N free flow air filter and a free flowing muffler. This increased my horsepower significantly and increased mileage as well. Could use larger wheels and tires like the 2005 model. Adding insulation and paneling to walls will make this van very quiet. Had conversion added.