Used 2002 GMC Safari Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Gmc Safari - Consumer Reviews

2002 GMC Safari Minivan

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

Love it - on my second one
By akgirl

2002 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

During the Alaskan winters the side door is great. We all pile in shut the door keep warm and then buckle up. Three kids and friends always fit very comfortable. Lots of room for everyone and their stuff and I can still get groceries.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, very comfortable

Great Vehicle
By Bob

2002 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the GMC Safari new in 2002 because I needed a vehicle that would haul our stuff to our cabin in Northern Michigan which also had All Wheel Drive for the mud and snow we frequeny encounter. The truck based Safari was the perfect answer and it has proven to be just that. After 108,000 miles, the only repair it has needed was a an alternator during the first year covered by warranty. Too bad there isn't a comparable vehicle available today. Guess I'll keep it. It's still strong and I expect at least 250,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

AWD, truck toughness, cargo room and capacity, "timeless" styling.

Suggested Improvements

Not manufactured anymore. GMC should definitely consider a modern version of the truck based mini/midi van. I am confident there is a market for it. Make it unique to GMC (no Chevy version) and build a "macho" image around it...would be a winner.

Very Good Mini-Van... Great Value!
By HeatherB

2002 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great family vehicle. Reliable and comfortable.

Favorite Features

More room than other minivans!

Suggested Improvements

Not much I can add... pretty solid vehicle through and through.

Good, Comfy, Van
By Kyle Brautigan

2002 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned these vans since they came out in 1985. The are roomier, more powerful, and capable than most other minivans on market. These vans have always been reliable besides for a few minor problems. We had to replace brakes at 15,000 miles and GMC wouldn't cover it under warranty which made me angry and made me wonder what the warranty was for.I like the truck- like sensation and this is no woss minivan. The ride is harsh over rough surfaces and it doesn't handle as well as car-based minivans. The interior is cheap plastic and poorly made. Even in the uplevel SLT it is lacking luxury features.

Favorite Features

Room, Interior Comfort, Capability, and ruggid looks.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics are poor(typical GM), Smoother ride, better handling, more horsepower to go along with torque, more convenience features on SLT (heated seats, dvd system, climate control,bose sound, etc.)

Average Car
By tbuchler

2002 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with my Safari. The sliding psgr door and rear hatch either stick or won't open. Took it to the dealer to get resolved still have same problem. Recently had problems with transmission and oil cooling lines leaking only at 42000 miles. Not impressed with fuel economy or front leg room. I am 6'2 and wife is 5'7". It does pull are 3300 lb popup camper great which is our main reason for buying it.

Favorite Features

AWD feature great in Michigan weather. A lot of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Improve transmission reliability, fuel economy and front legroom. It should also have more horsepower for the size of this engine (4.3L V6). I had a Pontiac Montana with a 3.4L V6 that had same amount of horse power.