Used 2001 GMC Safari Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Safari Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

Versatile, But Unreliable
By Joe V.

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Safari is arguably the most versatile vehicle on the market. No other vehicle can carry cargo, 8 passengers and occasionally tow a trailer. I did all of the above with my Safari and it was great. Unfortunately, the Safari was not as reliable as I expected. During the 4 years I owned it, I had to replace the transmission, power lock actuators, vacuum diaphram, rear heat control, dashboard switches, mass air flow sensor, exhaust system and give it a complete tune-up. I also had the interior carpet replaced along with the weatherstripping because water leaked in from the dutch doors. I was so disappointed in the quality of the Safari that i traded it in and bought a 2005 Ford E-150

Powerful motor, versatile

Re-design it for 2007: pay more attention to interior and mechanical quality.

2001 General Mistake Concieved
By Burnt

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle spent more time in the garage being fixed than on the road.Seventeen times in just over two years.Brakes warping,bad tires,water leaks around the seals,broken receiver on seatbelt (driver's),paint peeling on the plastic bumper in circular patterns,electric lock actuator burned out(passenger side),unbalanced tires from the factory one that was replaced due to excessive radial sidewall runout,doors misaligned from the factory,sidepanel on seat broke twice because of plastic rivet mounts,and this is some of the problems I experienced in a two year time frame. This dealer gave me a loaner car once in seventeen trips!!!Find your own way to work.

rear air with separate controls,dutch doors in the back.

Get rid of the plastic parts that are subject to wear or damage when entering or exiting vehicle.

Bad choice
By W.alter

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had problems with the brakes from the start and the steel belts on the tires.The catalytic converter and muffler needed replacing after one year and at separate times.I had to take it back shortly after buying it after I noticed grease under the floormats.Had to be dealer or factory shabbyness.Poor quality control at both places.No wonder Haskins went out of business and GM is losing repeat customers.

rear stereo controls were good for the kids,rear ac/heat separate from front were convenient.

Better quality for the price,too much plastic breakable parts.Poor paint adhesion also,peeled on the bumpers when chipped.

CHEAP TO KEEP
By bam bam

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle will last you a lifetime and spend very little time in the repair shop.maintenance costs are super low if you stay away from the awd. i purchased an extended warranty but i know I'll rarely use it. as long as you understand its a dinosaur to drive around town pot holes. also note that it is a durable "truck" that can get to be a handful when the fuel tank gets close to one quarter full when the pavement is wet. adding weight during the winter with the correct truck type tires will keep you unstuck. the engine power could be stronger, but the smooth power band and not too stiff suspension makes it pretty effortless to drive.

lots of cargo room. rear air conditoning is helpful. easy to work on for do it yourself maintenance.stereo system is adequate.

just wish I had rear axle positive traction.

Two time owner. . .
By Vikki

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1991 Safari as our first van and loved it, but only had the SLE. We now have and love the SLT seating and comfort. All the things we wished for in our first Safari van we got in our second Safari van. Now if they would have power door openers for the side and back doors, we would be even more thrilled! We have compared to lots of the SUVs and we like what we have better so far. The milage could be better (and it could be worse too!)

COMFORT . . . it seats 8, accommodates a BIG carpool. Comfortable for long drives. We love how each of the major seat backs can be adjusted. We added a LCD screen,TV tuner, VCR, PS2, so the kids can watch videos or play games on long trips. Everyone that rides in it loves it too.

Power doors side and rear, bring back the power front passenger seat. Get the milage up if you can without sacrificing the great performance.