Used 2001 GMC Safari SLE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Gmc Safari - Consumer Reviews

2001 GMC Safari Minivan

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

I LOVE my Safari!
By Happy Safari Owner

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about this van. Maybe I just got lucky with my particular vehicle, but I have had to put nothing but tires on this thing! I bought this 2001 SLE in April of 2009 and it had 120K miles already, so I brought it by my mechanic's shop and it passed with flying colors. It's now over a year and 25K miles later, and I had to put tires on it. Runs strong with 145K miles, no smoke, plenty of power, handles wonderfully, very comfortable for my bad back with 4 herniated discs, and I use it almost every weekend to haul a large amount of musical gear to the stage. I really don't understand why they are disc'd, but a 2011 or 2012 return would be VERY SMART!

Favorite Features

Comfort of seating, overall space, surprising power for a 6 cyl., great visibility, good on gas for its size.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again! No other suggestions, mine is just perfect! I love the color, looks, ride, everything.

WHY! Did They Stop Making Them???
By GMC all the way

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just love this Van! This is my second I purchased the first on brand new in 1990 with a high top, swivel seats, TV, VCR... after 156,000 miles I bought a 2001 in 2002 and still have it today. It has 163,000 miles and still going. I'm 6'-8" tall and 360 lbs. The van is a work horse. I fit like a glove It has gone to Florida and all parts northeast. I used it to move my tools and merchandise in both of my businesses. Why oh Why did they stop making this creature of love!!! I will miss you and will with all my heart try to keep what I have for as long as it will run. I have replaced many components, but that OK I want to keep it for a long time. Long Live the Astro and Safari Vans...

Favorite Features

Large cargo haul, 3 door rear entrance, overhead console, rear A/C 8 speaker CD stereo system, unlimited cup holders, ez parking Very roomy for the driver (me)

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, handling in snow and ice, Start Build the Astro and Sarfari Again!!!

Has been good to us
By Finzphan

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van is set up to haul the family and its cargo. Has been good both in town and on the highway. Not the best looking vehicle on the road, but it does what is asked of it. Regular maintenance keeps it in shape.

Favorite Features

Rear A/C is a plus. Pretty comfortable on log trips. Highway economy not bad for a vehicle of this size (20-22mpg). Make it from Phoenix to San Diego on one tank.

Suggested Improvements

Driver leg room a little tight. Developed a minor oil leak around the pan at 70K. Much more road noise than there should be. EBCM (brake module), went out after 60K and dealership wants almost $800 to fix.

Lemon in Disguise
By Vince

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

On the outside, the Safari/Astro appear to be nice vehicles. I had the following problems despite having the vehicle serviced regularly at my dealer: Rear heater broke. Replaced Dutch Door weatherstripping & carpet because of leaks/mold. Replaced power lock actuators. Faulty AC vacuum diaphram. Replaced rear AC, rear heater & rear wiper switches because they were no longer backlit. Mass air flow sensor. Transmission died at 60K in the middle of a US highway. Serpentine belt. GM did the right thing by discontinuing the Astro/Safari because they were lemons in disguise.

Favorite Features

Trading it in for a Ford E-150

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue it, which GM already did.

Versatile, But Unreliable
By Joe V.

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Safari is arguably the most versatile vehicle on the market. No other vehicle can carry cargo, 8 passengers and occasionally tow a trailer. I did all of the above with my Safari and it was great. Unfortunately, the Safari was not as reliable as I expected. During the 4 years I owned it, I had to replace the transmission, power lock actuators, vacuum diaphram, rear heat control, dashboard switches, mass air flow sensor, exhaust system and give it a complete tune-up. I also had the interior carpet replaced along with the weatherstripping because water leaked in from the dutch doors. I was so disappointed in the quality of the Safari that i traded it in and bought a 2005 Ford E-150

Favorite Features

Powerful motor, versatile

Suggested Improvements

Re-design it for 2007: pay more attention to interior and mechanical quality.