Used 2001 GMC Safari SLE Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 GMC Safari Minivan - Consumer Reviews

SLE Passenger Minivan (4.3L V6 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Safari model:
I LOVE my Safari!
By Happy Safari Owner on 08/26/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about this van. Maybe I just got lucky with my particular vehicle, but I have had to put nothing but tires on this thing! I bought this 2001 SLE in April of 2009 and it had 120K miles already, so I brought it by my mechanic's shop and it passed with flying colors. It's now over a year and 25K miles later, and I had to put tires on it. Runs strong with 145K miles, no smoke, plenty of power, handles wonderfully, very comfortable for my bad back with 4 herniated discs, and I use it almost every weekend to haul a large amount of musical gear to the stage. I really don't understand why they are disc'd, but a 2011 or 2012 return would be VERY SMART!

WHY! Did They Stop Making Them???
By GMC all the way on 02/03/09 10:29 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Just love this Van! This is my second I purchased the first on brand new in 1990 with a high top, swivel seats, TV, VCR... after 156,000 miles I bought a 2001 in 2002 and still have it today. It has 163,000 miles and still going. I'm 6'-8" tall and 360 lbs. The van is a work horse. I fit like a glove It has gone to Florida and all parts northeast. I used it to move my tools and merchandise in both of my businesses. Why oh Why did they stop making this creature of love!!! I will miss you and will with all my heart try to keep what I have for as long as it will run. I have replaced many components, but that OK I want to keep it for a long time. Long Live the Astro and Safari Vans...

Has been good to us
By Finzphan on 07/07/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van is set up to haul the family and its cargo. Has been good both in town and on the highway. Not the best looking vehicle on the road, but it does what is asked of it. Regular maintenance keeps it in shape.

Lemon in Disguise
By Vince on 08/27/06 06:38 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

On the outside, the Safari/Astro appear to be nice vehicles. I had the following problems despite having the vehicle serviced regularly at my dealer: Rear heater broke. Replaced Dutch Door weatherstripping & carpet because of leaks/mold. Replaced power lock actuators. Faulty AC vacuum diaphram. Replaced rear AC, rear heater & rear wiper switches because they were no longer backlit. Mass air flow sensor. Transmission died at 60K in the middle of a US highway. Serpentine belt. GM did the right thing by discontinuing the Astro/Safari because they were lemons in disguise.

Versatile, But Unreliable
By Joe V. on 08/23/05 00:33 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Safari is arguably the most versatile vehicle on the market. No other vehicle can carry cargo, 8 passengers and occasionally tow a trailer. I did all of the above with my Safari and it was great. Unfortunately, the Safari was not as reliable as I expected. During the 4 years I owned it, I had to replace the transmission, power lock actuators, vacuum diaphram, rear heat control, dashboard switches, mass air flow sensor, exhaust system and give it a complete tune-up. I also had the interior carpet replaced along with the weatherstripping because water leaked in from the dutch doors. I was so disappointed in the quality of the Safari that i traded it in and bought a 2005 Ford E-150

CHEAP TO KEEP
By bam bam on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle will last you a lifetime and spend very little time in the repair shop.maintenance costs are super low if you stay away from the awd. i purchased an extended warranty but i know I'll rarely use it. as long as you understand its a dinosaur to drive around town pot holes. also note that it is a durable "truck" that can get to be a handful when the fuel tank gets close to one quarter full when the pavement is wet. adding weight during the winter with the correct truck type tires will keep you unstuck. the engine power could be stronger, but the smooth power band and not too stiff suspension makes it pretty effortless to drive.

Two time owner. . .
By Vikki on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 1991 Safari as our first van and loved it, but only had the SLE. We now have and love the SLT seating and comfort. All the things we wished for in our first Safari van we got in our second Safari van. Now if they would have power door openers for the side and back doors, we would be even more thrilled! We have compared to lots of the SUVs and we like what we have better so far. The milage could be better (and it could be worse too!)

wuz up with the low resale value
By jess barger on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

a nice van for people to ride a short distance but on a long trip it is very small in the front seats and the gas mileage is very low 12 in the city and 15 on the highway when the sticker show 16 to 20 it is a little bit deceiving.

a good family van
By jenj1971 on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

this is a very reliable van for large families. my kids love the rear radio.

not up to par
By hrsepor31 on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Safari Minivan SLE Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

this is a slopply put together van rattles not repairable in side door fuel mileage very poor 17 highway 13 city the cloth interior is not very durable shows stains easily brakes wear out quickly third set already at 30000 rotors warpped from factory throttle service is expensive and unaffordable