Used 2000 GMC Safari Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Gmc Safari - Consumer Reviews

2000 GMC Safari Minivan

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

I'll be sad to see it go
By Devo

2000 GMC Safari Minivan SL 3dr Minivan

And here I promised myself I wouldn't get attached to this vehicle! We bought it less than 4 years ago when we were expecting our 5th child, knowing we would likely outgrow it in a few years. But I LOVE this van. The battery & alternator have been replaced since we bought it. Otherwise, nothing but regular maintenance. After our 1998 F-150, some of the peripherals like door handles, locks, seatbelt guides feel a bit "cheap" (lighter weight plastic, a few rattles), but it's still holding up fine at 150k. We are now expecting our 7th child so will be moving on to a 15 passenger.

Favorite Features

Reliable, lots of passenger room, tows effortlessly, seems to actually run better when loaded down.

Suggested Improvements

Would it have killed them to add a few inches of leg room in the front?? My husband sits in the back with the kids sometimes because there's more room back there!!

Great All Wheel Drive Van
By Nate

2000 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan AWD

Bought for dog shows. Removed third row and put in my crates. Enough room for 4 people (Captain chairs) and all our stuff for dog shows. Very comfortable to drive and ride in. Must have all wheel drive if you live where there is snow. Gas mileage 15 to 17 in city and 20 to 22 on hwy and 18.9 average. Plan to drive it to the wheels fall off literally.

Favorite Features

Dutch doors, all wheel drive, rear heat and air, and middle captain chairs make it easy to have multiple seating arrangements.

Suggested Improvements

Better leg room for the driver and front passenger.

Best mileage for a vehicle this size
By minneapolismarc

2000 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

No vehicle that can tow 6000 pounds gets better MPG than this van. I bought the 2 wheel (not AWD) version for the mileage. I drive 75 on the freeway with the cruise on and with the city stop and go I get 19.5 mpg on every tank. Less of course if I tow my boat. I work as a mechanic and did not even bother to inspect the van for more than 10 minutes as the original owner had the maint. paperwork. The only things I have had to do is replace the metal strip that holds on the lower trim between the front and rear wheels cost $125. Plastic line cracked under the hood for heater fan selector- free fix and common problem. Oil cooler lines seep but who cares it is common + cheap fix if you do.

Favorite Features

Not a minivan. MPG, reliability, huge mirrors, 4 by 8 foot sheets of plywood fit in back without removing seats. 10 foot 2 x 4s fit inside.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's leg room on left side is incomfortable. Standard rear locking differential.

Lots of room and a good tow vehicle
By Darren

2000 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

We bought the van new and had it for 5 years. It always had enough power and plenty of room for our family of 5. We camp a lot and tow a boat. It did have an annoying habit of little things breaking. Power window motors, power seat motors, etc. Also, being so big, expect to spend alot more than the average amount on brakes and shocks. Overall, expensive in gas and maintenance but always big and powerfun enough.

Favorite Features

Can carry eight people and lots of cargo in back and tow.

Suggested Improvements

Better engineering in all areas.

Not too bad!
By pacey

2000 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

This is our 1st van. It is comfortable, handles well and easily sits 7 average sized adults. The rear AC is a must in south Florida. We use it to tote scuba divers and their gear as well as a personal vehicle. Some of the interior features need to be beefed up to stand normal wear and tear--The hand grip on the pax side dash-the covers on the hinges of the rear seats-the vent covers on the rear AC outlets and the covers on the seatbelt floor attachments.

Favorite Features

The driver's seat has plenty of adjustments to make those long drives comfortable. That is important when you live at "the end of the road" like we do. The instruments are well placed and easy to read but a HUD would be better.

Suggested Improvements

Provide a complete shut-off for the AC vents on the dash. Relocate the ashtray so it is convenient to the driver. See the interior features listed above. Beef-up the rear AC control switch on the dash--we have had to replace two of them. Electrically controlled mid-side windows are a must.