1999 GMC Safari Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:
My 4th Astro/Safari Van
By SB on 07/07/09 14:55 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

Excellent overall Van - I have owned 4 of them, and probably 5 full sized fords before that. Bought one new, put 200,000 miles on it without a problem. Bought 3 used with 100,000 miles at about $5,000.00 each and ran them to just over 200,000 miles each, and sold or traded them for about $2,500.00 each In all four combined, I replaced 2 window motors ($26.00) a couple blower fan relays ($6.00), a couple fuel pumps ($200.00), one drive chain ($300.00), and one CV joint ($60.00). Do the math - $12,500.00 vehicle cost: got 500,000 miles, about $600.00 in repairs. No brainer - this is a great little truck (and it IS a truck), hauls a trailer well, fits lotsa people, extremely comfortable,

Great Value
By Patrick on 12/12/08 08:30 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

Very useful vehicle. More power than I need. Good milage-esp with 6 people in it. Reliable. Low maintenace.

Safari van
By safariowner on 04/24/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

I have owned Safaris since 1986, have been reliable vehicles. Good gas mileage for the 1999 unit, no problems except for A/C repair at 65,000 mi and brakes and front idler arms every 35,000 mi.

I like it
By Bill on 09/16/06 06:59 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

Good strong minivan. It has great towing capacity. The kids aren't cramped like in the smaller mini vans. Very safe and built tough.

Solid Van
By FLEX on 03/20/06 11:39 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan AWD

I bought my '99 with 145k mi and added another 50k.Great for long trips and in-town kid hauling.Only mech prob has been a/c. Engine/Tran are strong at 195k mi. Interior is very resiliant. Looks new. Paint/Body is still good. Nice having big V6 w/ rwd for towing. Also, it can handle a heavy load. built on truck chasis not car so it sits high and good for unimproved roads. dutch doors are great. I think stiffer shocks would help. Front leg room is a bit constrained.

Good family car
By Dave on 08/09/05 19:54 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

We bought this van used a few years ago, and have done nothing but drive it hard all the time. My wife uses it daily with 3 kids. We have taken many very long trips and it is very roomy and comfortable. Only problem has been an alternator(easy to replace myself). Also the front brakes wear faster than some other cars, but not too bad. Over all we really love this van(kinda square looking though!) I can't think of anything new I could buy that can do all this does so well!

Unfulfilled dream
By Ed Garrity on 07/22/05 22:54 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

I paid $16K for a 2 year old van with 37K miles. In 7/05 it has 108K, current value About $5.3K. I've enjoyed the van and the ride. It's comfortable for driver. Not enough foot room for passengers. I liked the way it handled and drove. Repair costs have been about $1K a year in addition to regular maintenance. Costs of repair have been expensive. Have had excellent service from Cooper extra wide, tires. I have replaced the electric window motors on both sides of the van. AC is a problem, 2 computers replaced. Body and upholstery show almost no wear.

Expensive to own/maintain
By MadMom on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan AWD

Purch 1/99; 4/99 transfer case prob; 7/99 8k mi trans replace solenoid-2 visits; 3/00 17k mi transfer case; 5/00 21k mi overhaul trans asmbly; 7/00 24k recondit'd valve body/trans; expensive brake, trans + transfer case maint for life; 1/02 53k idler arms $600; 1/03 74k intake gskt $500; 5/03 76k AC comprsr, door lock actuators $1,300; 7/03 82k NEW ENGINE $7k (spun bearing, threw rod)on family trip from NC to NY; 8/03 83k AC control head $350; 11/03 85k ignition coil/rotor $400. Expensive to own; has been a $10,000 year.Sadly, this Safari has never "wanted" for anything + the maintenance schedule has been followed +/or exceeded.

Never Again!
By Shawn ONeal on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

Our average repair bill for this crap car has been over $3200 per year! Since we have purchased this van, we have spent almost $10K in repairs; thinking that each time what else could go wrong. The design and weight of the vehicle is too much for the suspension and we have gone through four sets of tires. The AC has gone out twice, the alternator failed twice, breaks have had to be replaced each year, the fuel pump failed, the transmission failed under warranty, the water pump failed, and much more. I will NEVER buy American made again! As far as I am concerned US auto workers are paid five times their worth with the crap they build!

gmc safari
By apm/ld on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

Practical, economical, and durable vehicle that is good at towing and comfortable for carrying lots of people. Ride improved alot with new shocks. Design is somewhat dated, but very utilitarian. I like it.