Used 1995 GMC Safari Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 GMC Safari Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

very good automobile
By David Peth

1995 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicel in 1995 it had 13000 miles and has been a great car but now the gas milage is so bad that I need to trade.

It is a conversion van by coachman and I like everything about it.

none

A great ride
By Dave

1995 GMC Safari Minivan 3dr Minivan AWD

This is the second one we have owned, first was an Astro we sold with 265000 miles. This has been extremely reliable. Bought it with 99000 miles, it now has 174000 and runs great. AWD feature is awesome in snow. We did have one problem which people should be aware of as there is no info in the owners manual. Always have the same size tires on all 4 corners. We used the spare after a flat (I use 60 series tires on it) and had to replace the front differential after driving it only 30 miles! $1600 repair. We tow a boat and utility trailer all the time and it works great. Just an excellent product.

Rear air really cools it quickly. Love the tow package.

Wish the tire size thing had been in the manual! Electric door locks are starting to work sporadically.

Third Review on this Safari in 3 Years
By Southern Moon

1995 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

Two previous reviews by me. 07/12/02 and 07/24/03. Again now 11/14/05. Tripped 300K a while back. Almost 304,000 today. The best vehicle we've ever owned. Strong, strong engine still. NO OIL USE. Reliable to the max. No trouble except some flaking paint but even that's not bad. Last spark plugs changed about 150,000 miles ago. NEVER HAD A TUNE UP in 8-1/2 years. I tried to sell this Safari at 239K at a giveaway price but nobody bit- not that I blame them but it's still in great shape mechanically and still looks good too. We bought a GMC Suburban based on how this GMC had been but it's not as reliable as the Safari and the Suburban with about 100K does need oil at changing time.

Reliability. I changed the transmission filter about a year ago and virtually no metal on the magnet. I expect it to go 400,000 miles if we don't relace it.

Leg room in the front passenger side for us 6'2" co-pilots.

First-Time Owner
By David Peters

1995 GMC Safari Minivan SLE 3dr Minivan

We bought this van in March, 2004. It has been great! Does not leak or burn a drop of oil, has 150k+ miles. Tune- up at 145k makes it run smoother, seems to help mileage, which is 20mpg. The 4.3L has plenty of power. Water pump blew at 138k, but is to be expected on older vehicles. I love the space - you can really pack it in! I would gladly buy another one!

Space and reliability

Leg room in the front - driver and passenger.

Second Time Around
By Southern Moon Again

1995 GMC Safari Minivan SLT 3dr Minivan

If you'll look, I wrote a review 07/12/02 on this same vehicle. Now passing into the 260K mileage range, I just wanted to again say that GMC makes one reliable ride. In fact, since then we've added to (not replaced) our GMC family with a Suburban that after the first 25K seems to be as solid as the Safari that I still drive every single day. 260K: no oil usage, no loss of power, good looking. I can't say enough good things about the GMC Safari.

Reliability.

Front passenger leg room a little short if I have to suggest anything.