1995 GMC Safari Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Gmc Safari - Consumer Reviews

1995 Safari Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Safari model:

Sort Reviews by

very good automobile
By David Peth

1995 GMC Safari SLT 3dr Minivan

I bought this vehicel in 1995 it had 13000 miles and has been a great car but now the gas milage is so bad that I need to trade.

Favorite Features

It is a conversion van by coachman and I like everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

none

A great ride
By Dave

1995 GMC Safari 3dr Minivan AWD

This is the second one we have owned, first was an Astro we sold with 265000 miles. This has been extremely reliable. Bought it with 99000 miles, it now has 174000 and runs great. AWD feature is awesome in snow. We did have one problem which people should be aware of as there is no info in the owners manual. Always have the same size tires on all 4 corners. We used the spare after a flat (I use 60 series tires on it) and had to replace the front differential after driving it only 30 miles! $1600 repair. We tow a boat and utility trailer all the time and it works great. Just an excellent product.

Favorite Features

Rear air really cools it quickly. Love the tow package.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the tire size thing had been in the manual! Electric door locks are starting to work sporadically.

Third Review on this Safari in 3 Years
By Southern Moon

1995 GMC Safari SLT 3dr Minivan

Two previous reviews by me. 07/12/02 and 07/24/03. Again now 11/14/05. Tripped 300K a while back. Almost 304,000 today. The best vehicle we've ever owned. Strong, strong engine still. NO OIL USE. Reliable to the max. No trouble except some flaking paint but even that's not bad. Last spark plugs changed about 150,000 miles ago. NEVER HAD A TUNE UP in 8-1/2 years. I tried to sell this Safari at 239K at a giveaway price but nobody bit- not that I blame them but it's still in great shape mechanically and still looks good too. We bought a GMC Suburban based on how this GMC had been but it's not as reliable as the Safari and the Suburban with about 100K does need oil at changing time.

Favorite Features

Reliability. I changed the transmission filter about a year ago and virtually no metal on the magnet. I expect it to go 400,000 miles if we don't relace it.

Suggested Improvements

Leg room in the front passenger side for us 6'2" co-pilots.

First-Time Owner
By David Peters

1995 GMC Safari SLE 3dr Minivan

We bought this van in March, 2004. It has been great! Does not leak or burn a drop of oil, has 150k+ miles. Tune- up at 145k makes it run smoother, seems to help mileage, which is 20mpg. The 4.3L has plenty of power. Water pump blew at 138k, but is to be expected on older vehicles. I love the space - you can really pack it in! I would gladly buy another one!

Favorite Features

Space and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Leg room in the front - driver and passenger.

Second Time Around
By Southern Moon Again

1995 GMC Safari SLT 3dr Minivan

If you'll look, I wrote a review 07/12/02 on this same vehicle. Now passing into the 260K mileage range, I just wanted to again say that GMC makes one reliable ride. In fact, since then we've added to (not replaced) our GMC family with a Suburban that after the first 25K seems to be as solid as the Safari that I still drive every single day. 260K: no oil usage, no loss of power, good looking. I can't say enough good things about the GMC Safari.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Front passenger leg room a little short if I have to suggest anything.

95 Safari
By Dan ON

1995 GMC Safari SLT 3dr Minivan AWD

With a family of 6 that takes trips often, room is important-(essential). The van has been extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

Lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for driver.

Great ride for outdoor sports
By Genius

1995 GMC Safari SLE 3dr Minivan

I bought my 1995 Safari just because I could fit my 10-foot surfboard IN the vehicle AND lock the doors under the seats. For a van, it's pretty peppy. Rear AC and Dutch doors are cool. Middle and rear seats make the cargo space versatile. My girlfriend complained that the shotgun seat has no foot room. I don't drive from there so, it never bothered me. At 80k miles, fuel injection system died. Spendy ($1k), but worth it. At 116k, the tranny died. The $2k to replace it just wasn’t worth it, had to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Versatility - Leave the middle seat in the garage and fold down the back seat most of the time. Great for road trips - camping, surfing, fishing, etc..

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders that fit at least a McDonald's Medium drink would be good for the front seats - the radio is in the way. The middle and rear seats should un- fold and combine to make a bed in the cargo area but only while the vehicle is in PARK.

1995 Safari SLT
By kayaker

1995 GMC Safari SLT 3dr Minivan AWD

This van is my second, I owned a Astro before, its a great driver on long trips and has plenty of towing power for my older Apache trailer. All wheel drive is a real life saver as I do get off the pavement once in awhile and is great on winter roads.

Favorite Features

Room, towing, all wheel drive and tight sounding ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

GMC SAFARI
By CGOSSETT

1995 GMC Safari SLE 3dr Minivan

Bought new in January 1996. Have had no major problems. Front brakes have been replaced twice. Plastic door handle on passenger side broke inside the door...major hassle to get to and fix but not a major expense if you have a friend that is a mechanic and has the right tools. Power door lock doesn't always connect with the sliding passenger side door (2 clicks usually will do it when it "misfires"). Just had the fuel pump replaced at 123,000 miles. Van gave plenty of warning...started running rough at about 118,000 miles. Tuned up at 105,000 miles. With 3 kids in sports, this van is great.

Favorite Features

extended cargo space, rear air

Suggested Improvements

Keep working on the power door lock system. Every GM product I've ever owned with Power locks seems to have issues. Make access to inner door panel easier.

95 Safari Conversion
By jeklnhyd

1995 GMC Safari 3dr Minivan

This is my second astro/safari conversion. The only reason they are not being driven is because they were both totalled out in wrecks. Anyways, they were both perfect. TV/VCR for my kids, never had any major problems whatsoever out of these vans. The 4.3 v6 got about 17mpg but NEVER broke down and had plenty of power. I bought the first one with 100k and it had 140k when wrecked, my second one i bought with 70k and wrecked it with 111k. I love these vans!

Favorite Features

tv/vcr, rear sofa-bed, headroom in the conversion, digital dash (astro), peppy 4.3!

Suggested Improvements

digital dash on all of em, newer styled interior (redone in 96)