2001 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Money Pit
By ramdaddi on 03/15/13 09:58 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, very reliable OVER SIZED STATION WAGON. Awesome in the snow with the original Good Year Wrangler tires but a very expensive vehicle to maintain. Sealed front wheel bearings and brakes always seem to fail and are costly repairs. I've had mine for 10 plus years and I just put $2,000 into the breaks, bearings and idler arms or some crap like that and honestly, I'm glad I did. This "truck" is a great work horse, 144k miles, and I love to beat the hell out of it off roading at the farm. Maintain it and the mechanic said I can go another 100k miles easy. beats a car payment and insurance on a new vehicle!

TLC goes a long way.
By jimbo4x4 on 12/24/12 15:44 PM (PST)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my GMC Jimmy for about 6 months. When I bought it the trans was rebuilt the oil cooler lines and the coolant was just flushed. Me and my Jimmy had a rocky relationship at first, I had to replace intake gasket, fuel pump, front hubs, and some other more minor things. But now that I gave my Jimmy some TLC it is a great workhorse. It has a strong engine, it can tow a trailer sufficient for my needs, and I can fit all my tools in the back. The four wheel drive is excellent. I'm 6"3 and can sit comfortably in the drivers seat. . I change my oil regularly and take care of any maintenance right away. Its a great SUV. Take care of your car and it will take care of you!

good vehicle
By collegekid20 on 09/15/11 10:25 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

my jimmys a 2001 that i received as my first vehicle a couple of years ago i put around 20,000 miles on it myself and its still below 100,000 miles and it runs amazing the only major problems ive had so far is my brake calipers seized up which is my fault for letting it sit too long, my spedometer doesnt work quite correctly and my fuel sensor is a little dirty but other then that i beat the crap out of it especially in winter and it still runs amazing, but if you dont keep up with it maintence wise then yea youll have problems, but thats with all vehicles

NOt bad over the years
By jjb99 on 03/23/11 09:37 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted to pass along my thoughts on this car. I had bought new and had the following replaced: Ball joints, intake manifold gasket, door hinges. That said, until now I have not had many issues other than fuel economy. The doors have awful hinges that are not adjustable. If they are used a lot, they fail and need to be drilled out and re-bushed. Terrible design. Lastly, I am now in the looking for another SUV because the Jimmy needed a Crankshaft Sensor replaced because of fouling caused by the intake coolant leak. Well it needed a computer "reset" to fix the erratic engine and now I think we killed the motor. Oh well, 160,000 not bad.

Good Vehicle
By Pat S. on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 2WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 GMC Jimmy SLS used in 2004. It was a dealer buy-back because of electrical problems. I have 118,000 miles on it with no serious mechanical repairs. Yes, it has needed brakes, but that's normal. Had a serious vibration problem which was found to be missing washers in the hood hinges. A cheap repair and it's quiet. I like this vehicle a lot. My only regret is that it isn't 4 wheel drive.

I luv my Jimmy!
By Trisha on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 2006..only major problem was the gas tank back in 2008. This year, 2010, was the axle. It's at 190,000 today and just thought I celebrate this milestone and say maybe GMC didn't make MY Jimmy so bad after all.

3 transmissions, and 3 fuel pumps
By Kat on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Hi I bought it used. Now have 191,000 and if you throw enough money at something it will keep running, This is the only vehicle I have ever had to have towed 7 times and I have been driving over 40 years. AAA is a must if you drive one of these. The body still looks great. Now there is something major going on with the front end. Afraid to take it to the mechanic. This is the third transmission, one radiator, fuel pump has been replaced 3 times. The starter, brakes and rotors several times. The 4 wheel drive and a/c works perfectly have not had to do anything with either too bad the whole car wasn't like these components.

80,000 miles guaranteed tranny swap
By dizzle on 07/25/10 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 GMC Jimmy SLE is for the most part a reliable vehicle. Definitely fun in the snow! Heavy 4wd vehicles are though right. I'm loyal to this SUV though the worries tell me never to buy another and possibly never another GMC. From a rebuilt transmission, gasket replacement, bearings, and water leaks plus alignments? How should i feel?

good vehicle
By dave on 04/28/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV Diamond Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very funny to read comments from those suckers who have been getting ripped off from shady mechanics and blaming GM. 3 waterpumps and you blame GM ? They were garbage aftermarket parts. And ball joints ... get good ones that can be greased and have oil change people lube them -its called maintenence.Your mechanic uses garbage parts and charges you top $ and it's GM's fault ??.. get a clue. Yes you have 125,000 miles and need to get repairs - big surprise. Quit getting ripped off, spend the time to find an honest mechanic -many of you sure don't know one. This is a decent , fun 4 wheel dr that goes great through snow. Love mine.

My Jimmy
By SN09 on 04/14/10 09:15 AM (PDT)

2001 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 2WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought it off the dealership I had to have them replace the thermostat, radiator. I haven't had any big problems since then, but it does seem like it's slowly slipping. They charged way to much money for this SUV and it's a gas hog!