Used 2001 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Money Pit
By ramdaddi

2001 GMC Jimmy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, very reliable OVER SIZED STATION WAGON. Awesome in the snow with the original Good Year Wrangler tires but a very expensive vehicle to maintain. Sealed front wheel bearings and brakes always seem to fail and are costly repairs. I've had mine for 10 plus years and I just put $2,000 into the breaks, bearings and idler arms or some crap like that and honestly, I'm glad I did. This "truck" is a great work horse, 144k miles, and I love to beat the hell out of it off roading at the farm. Maintain it and the mechanic said I can go another 100k miles easy. beats a car payment and insurance on a new vehicle!

Favorite Features

snow and off road driving

Suggested Improvements

hire new engineers

TLC goes a long way.
By jimbo4x4

2001 GMC Jimmy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my GMC Jimmy for about 6 months. When I bought it the trans was rebuilt the oil cooler lines and the coolant was just flushed. Me and my Jimmy had a rocky relationship at first, I had to replace intake gasket, fuel pump, front hubs, and some other more minor things. But now that I gave my Jimmy some TLC it is a great workhorse. It has a strong engine, it can tow a trailer sufficient for my needs, and I can fit all my tools in the back. The four wheel drive is excellent. I'm 6"3 and can sit comfortably in the drivers seat. . I change my oil regularly and take care of any maintenance right away. Its a great SUV. Take care of your car and it will take care of you!

Favorite Features

GMC Jimmy is a great workhorse. I can fit my tools in the back and tow a trailer. Its comfortable enough for me. Strong engine is good although gas mileage could be greater.

Suggested Improvements

A turbo for better has mileage!

good vehicle
By collegekid20

2001 GMC Jimmy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

my jimmys a 2001 that i received as my first vehicle a couple of years ago i put around 20,000 miles on it myself and its still below 100,000 miles and it runs amazing the only major problems ive had so far is my brake calipers seized up which is my fault for letting it sit too long, my spedometer doesnt work quite correctly and my fuel sensor is a little dirty but other then that i beat the crap out of it especially in winter and it still runs amazing, but if you dont keep up with it maintence wise then yea youll have problems, but thats with all vehicles

Favorite Features

my main favorite feature is the four wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

find a better way for fuel economy

NOt bad over the years
By jjb99

2001 GMC Jimmy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted to pass along my thoughts on this car. I had bought new and had the following replaced: Ball joints, intake manifold gasket, door hinges. That said, until now I have not had many issues other than fuel economy. The doors have awful hinges that are not adjustable. If they are used a lot, they fail and need to be drilled out and re-bushed. Terrible design. Lastly, I am now in the looking for another SUV because the Jimmy needed a Crankshaft Sensor replaced because of fouling caused by the intake coolant leak. Well it needed a computer "reset" to fix the erratic engine and now I think we killed the motor. Oh well, 160,000 not bad.

Favorite Features

Ride, great in 4WD, decent rear seat room (compared to the Jeep)

Good Vehicle
By Pat S.

2001 GMC Jimmy SLS 2WD 2dr SUV (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 GMC Jimmy SLS used in 2004. It was a dealer buy-back because of electrical problems. I have 118,000 miles on it with no serious mechanical repairs. Yes, it has needed brakes, but that's normal. Had a serious vibration problem which was found to be missing washers in the hood hinges. A cheap repair and it's quiet. I like this vehicle a lot. My only regret is that it isn't 4 wheel drive.

Favorite Features

Interior is roomy and well thought out. Instrumentation is easy to see. Front leg room is very good. Back folds down flat for cargo/pets.

Suggested Improvements

Getting in and out of the back seat can be a real pain. But once you're in there, it's comfortable.