Used 2000 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Nightmare Finally Over
By Hoosiersec on 01/01/05 10:27 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I finally unloaded my Jimmy. Took a big loss with trade-in. SUV was the biggest money pit I have ever owned. Performance through first three years was good, but as soon as the warranty expired, bang, the problems occured. GMC had to know this car was substandard by only offering the 3/36 warranty. Wheel bearings/ball joints went at 60k-dealer told me I was lucky, as he had seen them "as early as 14k." That was $1300. Other problems: driver's door joint fell apart/replaced; rear window hatch rusted/replaced; alt. replaced, etc. I maintained this car meticulously with no off-road. Much of the miles were highway. Reading other similar ownership reviews leads me to believe this car is a lemon!

UPSET
By figgy on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Loved it until last week. With only 32,ooo miles on it the engine seized up. It will cost almost $4,000 to replace the engine. Don't know why this happened. Oil was changed as recommended and vehicle was not mistreated in any way. It was running fine before and then just died in the middle of traffic. Of course the warranty has expired so there's not much I can do but fix it. I'm not happy and will probably not buy another GMC. I could understand this happening if this vehicle had 75,000 miles on it or was over an older model and not taken care of. WHAT'S UP GMC?

Love it
By Timsss on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Just a great truck, powerfull.. not probs what so ever.

I LOVE THIS THING
By the_dubster98 on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

the only thing that makes me mad is the A.I.R pump has already gone out on it..other then that i love this thing...

GMC Farewell tour
By lwusra on 11/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition 4dr SUV 4WD

traded my 97 jimmy with more problems than can list, for the 2000 hoping for better luck to no avail. Comfortabloe my all means for long trips, but cant deal with paying 400 a month for a truck i have to worry about breaking down. only owned it 6 months, was in shop 3 times, smog pump at 36k, alt was going bad, trim was peeling on roof rack.

good car if taken care of
By Rich Howerton on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has had a few small prob. so far Nothing major. Do not like the range of the keyless entry syst. very short appx 25 feet. Had a small coolent leak but dealership took care of it fast. (bad cap) **If you buy one have all the fittings cleaned a greesed each year or ( read the other reviews )

STay Away
By Turd on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

Replaced 4 sets of wheel bearings to date. Ride is terrible on gravel and bumpy roads.

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE
By Ed753 on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

No problems with the vehicle except for a warped oil pan, that seeped oil, after 3 attempts the delaer replaced the oil pan, and problem was gone. Keyless entry only has 20 feet range tops, my GMC pickup has range of about 150 feet.

FIRST & LAST GMC
By mysticknight on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I bought this Jimmy used with only 26000 miles & was in for repair several times. The brake/tail lights failed, weatherstripping popping off, driver door hinge had to be repaired, passenger side ball joint replaced, reverse lights stayed on through all gears & a switch had to be replaced a week after getting it back from the shop. The transmission failed & had to be rebuilt at about 41K miles. The dealer seemed to do everything right the first time & I only had to pay for one repair. They paid for the transmission even though it was out of warranty. I just can't keep a car I never get to drive. This is my first & last GMC.

PATHETIC!!!!!
By Maher on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE. GM MUST BE VERY AFRAID OF THEIR QUALITY HAVING ONLY A 3 YEAR, 60,000KMS. WARRANTY! WE ONLY HAVE 50,000KMS. ON THE 4X4 BUT THE 3 YEARS HAVE PASSED AND BELIEVE ME THIS IS 100% JUNK. FROM DAY ONE,ALL THE BALL JOINTS HAD TO BE REPLACED, THE IGNITION WENT OUT ON IT. THE EGR VALVE, THE TRANSMISSION SEALS, TWO ENGINE SENSORS, THE OIL COOLANT LINES, THE BATTERY, THE ROTORS AND BRAKE PADS AND THE VEHICLE HAS NEVER BEEN IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THIS VEHICLE THAT IS ANY GOOD. THE ENGINE IS UNDERSIZED, AND WE DON'T EVEN GET 17 MILES TO THE GALLON ON THE HIGHWAY.