Used 2000 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

2000 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Average in all regards
By gmcjimmy2000

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Got my 2000 Jimmy when it had 32,000 miles. Overall, I've liked it, although it's been about average in all regards. Had to do little maintenance repairs pretty frequently ($100 here, $70 there), and "major" repairs have included front rotor and fuel pump, which hurt the pocketbook. Also own a Toyota, which has more miles on it but has required fewer repairs, which doesn't build confidence in the Jimmy. Like the engine for a V6 and the vehicle is fun to drive. Interior is average, back seats not too comfortable for full-sized person. Lots of room with rear seats folded down.

Favorite Features

Engine, looks good, storage space,

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be more reliable

fuel pumps stink!
By cranky

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put more into the jimmy then I paid for it. Im surprised I didn't see the fuel pump mentioned more. It has cost me 1200 alone. The ball joints are also a problem but do to roads where I live. I replace them myself to cut cost. I also had electrical problems and replaced the mass air flow sensor 2x. Over all gas mileage good comp to 98 ply voyager mini van. I enjoy driving it when it's running and it hasn't left me stranded w/ 3 kids. Also back seat too small for 2 kids w/ car seats.

Favorite Features

driver comfort, over all handling. Heat and A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pump, electrical, suspension

Time to unload it
By redman

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Bought it in 01 with 19000 miles and overall has been a good, dependable ride. Gas mileage is a surprising 23 MPG hwy. Fuel gauge failed, brakes every 20000 miles, and currently having electrical problems(windows, door locks and mirrors quit occassionally). My daughter hit a deer last night so may take insurance settlement and unload it. Will buy another GMC however.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive and MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and fuel pump.

Very Fun; Few Problems
By acam1

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in Sept. 2008, and now it is Apr. 2009. It has, so far, been an amazing vehicle. Yes, it's had a few problems, but it was just normal wear-and-tear (rusty differential cover, O2 sensors, old block heater line). Overall, this vehicle is good, but not for its city driving. On average, I received about 9 - 12 mpg city, 13 - 16 highway, which is about what the much larger Tahoe/Yukon gets now. Offroad, it is extremely fun. I do prefer the much larger SUVs though, and that was my biggest regret in buying the Jimmy, although this so-called "mid-size" SUV (it is pretty long, actually) has proven to be extremely substantial and capable. Just take care of it and it runs fine!

Favorite Features

Look of the Jimmy models the older ('92 - '99) Tahoe/Yukon, which I love. The surprising winter handling was amazing as well--I just trecked through the snow, even without winter tires! Love how the back-row seats fold flat, just hate how raised the cargo-bed area was though (due to the spare tire).

Suggested Improvements

I would've loved to see the interior re-vamped. The style was very plain and repetitive--design should've followed the 2002-2006 Tahoe/Yukon interior as well. More power, especially during take off should be improved. Option for 3rd-row seat (2- seater 3rd row would've been likely).

2000 jimmy
By mike

2000 GMC Jimmy SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

This is for all jimmy (2000) owners,that have a noise in font that knowone can find. In this model it's the condenser/heater core loose in it's housing. The gas gauge quits working properly because the fuel in Canada still contains a particular addative that has been removed in the US, where these fuel tank sensor where made,they get corroded in places and fail. Early failer of the front wheel bearings are do to just plain old "bad design" and low quality.