2000 GMC Jimmy SLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Jimmy, OK!
By cardude1 on 05/28/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The SUV is pretty good! Some things have gone bad on it like the ball joints and the catalytic converter is going bad right now but overall it is a good SUV!

Beautiful
By Trena S. on 05/25/08 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my truck for a while now. I bought it used with fairly high mileage. All in all I am extremely impressed. The gas mileage could be better but the comfort and reliability make up for it by far. I have changed my oil every 2500 miles and havent had any real problem with it yet. I would reccommend this vehicle to anyone.

Never again
By eb on 04/22/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Although I love the way this SUV looks it's been nothing but problems since buying it new. The hazard switch was replaced, 4 wheel drive speed sensor, rear main seal and oil pan gasket, pinion seal and now there is another oil leak in the front of the vehicle. This is the third Jimmy I've owned and will not purchase a GMC again since each one has had succeedingly more problems. This 2000 has been the worst for mechanical problems.

Worst SUV ever
By Wyn on 04/11/08 08:17 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV was bought brand new. Not a month into driving it had to have the ball joints done. The problems just kept going from there. In total, the ball joints have been replaced 8 times. The master cylinder has been replaced 5 times. Brakes every year and rotors almost every time the brakes get done. Gas gauge sensor had to be fixed. ABS module is broken. Heater core is broken. Shocks need to be done almost every year. Multifunction switch had to be replaced. New battery about once a year. 4x4 gets stuck. There are so many things that need to be done, I don't think I've listed nearly all of the problems. I used to think that this Jimmy just happened to be a lemon but now I know better.

2000 GMC Jimmy
By Norb Turner on 01/15/08 07:41 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLS Convenience 2dr SUV

This truck has been nothing but great to me. I take excellent care of it, and in the four years I've had it I've minimal problems. I've also been able to do a lot of customization to the truck.

Do not buy
By Jimmy Hater on 10/28/07 16:53 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition 4dr SUV 4WD

I have put well over $8000 in repairs to this vehicle. It is a very sharp SUV that was poorly designed. I have replaced ball joints and well bearing hub assemblys multiple times. A small fortune was spent to fix a secondary air induction pump. I would recommend everyone to stay away from purchasing this vehicle. I am not the only one that has these problems, everyone I know with one has the same problems to some extent.

Still have it
By R Buck on 07/31/07 13:24 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Bought new in late 2000. Have driven it back and forth from FL to NH without problems. I see others have had battery problems like me. Fuel pump went just after warranty expired. GM did pay for parts, but there was $300 labor paid by me. Still only have less than 40,000 mi on it. Highway mileage has been as high as 23mpg. Averages about 20. Pickup is very good. Paint and finish still like new, but then this car is stored inside winters. It is 2wd, but we take it everywhere on dirt roads and such in NH. Has never stranded us yet. Ours has overabundance of factory cladding and running boards. With that good finish, and those extras it passes as a new vehicle as no-one is sure what it is.

I Love My Jimmy
By burrningrubber on 07/28/07 21:23 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The SUV is very reliable. All the parts are cheap. The SUV has 128,000 miles on it and the transmission hasn't shown any wear. The engine was build to last and no leaks or smoke out the exhaust. It doesn’t fall apart like the Blazer.

I love this truck!
By ~*elle*~ on 06/02/07 00:43 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd Jimmy. I bought my beautiful truck used with 100,000 kms and I've had no problem with it other than a few minor things like replacing the battery, very little paint coming off the roofrack, small coolant leak which was quickly fixed by the dealership I bought it from. I love this truck even though the gas mileage stinks bigtime for city driving. Love the cold air, sunroof, and heated leather seats.

Built Strong
By burrningrubber on 04/02/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV as my first vehicle with 123,000 mile on it and the only thing to ever go bad was the heater core. The part was only 50 bucks. I installed myself to save money. The 4x4 feature is awesome. Auto 4x4. Great.