2000 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Very Fun; Few Problems
By acam1 on 04/13/09 19:33 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in Sept. 2008, and now it is Apr. 2009. It has, so far, been an amazing vehicle. Yes, it's had a few problems, but it was just normal wear-and-tear (rusty differential cover, O2 sensors, old block heater line). Overall, this vehicle is good, but not for its city driving. On average, I received about 9 - 12 mpg city, 13 - 16 highway, which is about what the much larger Tahoe/Yukon gets now. Offroad, it is extremely fun. I do prefer the much larger SUVs though, and that was my biggest regret in buying the Jimmy, although this so-called "mid-size" SUV (it is pretty long, actually) has proven to be extremely substantial and capable. Just take care of it and it runs fine!

2000 jimmy
By mike on 03/09/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

This is for all jimmy (2000) owners,that have a noise in font that knowone can find. In this model it's the condenser/heater core loose in it's housing. The gas gauge quits working properly because the fuel in Canada still contains a particular addative that has been removed in the US, where these fuel tank sensor where made,they get corroded in places and fail. Early failer of the front wheel bearings are do to just plain old "bad design" and low quality.

Happy with my Jimmy
By lucas on 02/03/09 11:00 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

My Jimmy drives very smooth after nine years of straight ownership. No major repairs nor problems with it. I like the way it sits high, but not too high. I also like the gas mileage I get from my 4.6L.

Double edged sword
By Andy on 01/25/09 13:47 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Bought it in 2001 with 64K. Now has 311K. Wheel bearings replaced twice. Ball joints and front end done. Head gasket blew at 100K. Brakes yearly. Fuel pump. Major valve job. Alternators every 18 months. New battery every 3 years. Fantastic to drive, (live in Western Canada) Horrible to maintain. The double edged is that it does what it's supposed to but at high maintenance. Rear wiper motor is absolute rubbish. Shocks are on their way out. Put the best tyres you can afford on it and it stays on the road in the worst conditions. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired.

Piece of Junk
By Nicole on 12/16/08 19:51 PM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

The first year we bought this vehicle, we had no problems. Then it all happened. It only has 95000 kms now and was bought with 75000 kms. There is a knocking noise that happens intermittently that no one knows what it is, the brakes and rotors have been replaced, wheel bearings, the gas gauge hasn't worked for 3 years, the seat handle snapped off, the power window switch on driver side doesn't work, front speakers have blown for no reason oh and we get 200 km's a tank! This is a piece of junk and i would never buy one or any GMC again!

It's an okay SUV
By terri on 11/20/08 08:21 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

The front interior is too small needs to be roomier. The gas mileage is terrible. The heater core is going on it and it will take eight and a half hours to fix it and more than $800. Why does it have to be that hard to get at the core. The shocks are terrible and I had to replace the ball joints. I like driving it It has lots of pep I like the looks of it and it has a great heater.

This is a lemon, buyer beware and read up
By dmills77 on 11/02/08 08:57 AM (PST)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

We have had nothing but problems with this car. Buyers need to really review what others are saying as they seem to have all similar issues. 4 wheel drive engages itself as you are driving. Heater issues, wiring issues, the list goes on and on. I will never buy a GMC again. Really do your research! Google the make, year and model and read up on them. I can't believe that some of these things that we are having problems with haven't been recalled its obviously issues many are having and over and over again once they are fixed. The worst car we have ever owned!

My James
By judi on 06/15/08 17:02 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I love my SUV, have always loved sitting up a little higher than in a low sedan style. I bought this one used with 52000 m. on it. Had some trouble with electrical. Hubby thinks it went thru Katrina flood but I don't! It has suddenly quit after on a couple instances of long trips-always during hot season- just all electrical quit, had to call AAA once--another time just waited side of the road 1 or 2 minutes, and it started right up and ran ok. Seemed like when it heated up, air running, etc. it happened. No one could ever explain or figure out the problem. So, consequestly, I do not have the confidence I should have in this particular Jimmy. Always loved them before.

Jimmy, OK!
By cardude1 on 05/28/08 07:08 AM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

The SUV is pretty good! Some things have gone bad on it like the ball joints and the catalytic converter is going bad right now but overall it is a good SUV!

Beautiful
By Trena S. on 05/25/08 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my truck for a while now. I bought it used with fairly high mileage. All in all I am extremely impressed. The gas mileage could be better but the comfort and reliability make up for it by far. I have changed my oil every 2500 miles and havent had any real problem with it yet. I would reccommend this vehicle to anyone.