Used 2000 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

JIMMMYY!
By ahusson

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

So I got this 2000 GMC Jimmy at 165,000 miles, now it has 172,000 miles and it a complete money pit, but a life saver. I have spent $3500 in repairs in the last 6 months. I've taken it to three different mechanics and technicians.Every single part on my brake is brand new, and the ABS light is still on. I can't afford to keep it anymore, so this is a good car if you are a mechanic or have a mechanic who knows who he is doing. BUT this has saved me through the winter. With All-Season tires it plowed through 2 feet of snow and 2 inches of ice. No weather condition stopped me, and I was incredibly thankful. (Maine Winter of 2014-2015)

Ground Clearance is superb! I can see over everything and plow snow with my front. Optional 4-Wheel-drive has been a life saver in the winter! 18 miles per gallon city, and 22 highway. Music System gets cranking and loud very nicely! Although it rocks some parts of the car. Seats are comfortable and the interior is gorgeous. Very little to no hard plastic. LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE! I could fit to college students' worth of stuff in one trip with Jimmy. Heating and AC system is very responsive. Easily can parallel park in the city. (I do it all the time)!

The front doors' pins and bushins rust very easily! Each one is a $50 repair. Cup holders are small and some bottles get stuck in them. Knobs easily fall off or break.

dont buy
By 86mr2

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

One of the wost suvs ever made. Bought it with 93000 miles transmission went out at 103000 ball joints have been replaced 3 times heater core went out 4wd didnt work until recently until it went 4 low by its self and is stuck in 4 low. valve cover gasket blew ac went out twice. the bose system blew. Seats suck back hurts after 30 minutes after driving. the dash is cracked very bad. Door panel rattles and ripped off when i closed the door one time. Dash lights broke twice. pivment arm went out. Fuel pump let go. Radiator blew. One of the worst cars ive ever experienced. Worst 6000 dollars i ever spent. Im tempted to pull it in the back yard and set a lawn chair and watch it rot to the ground.

Heated seats

Almost everything

204k miles & running
By ztucker

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV

I bought my Jimmy 7 years ago with 87k miles on it. Now it has 204k & has lasted pretty well. I'd buy another one, but i'm really curious to how this "fuel efficient" life could be... My mechanic says wow the engine is built so strong. This last year was by far the worst, everything my diagnostic a few years ago told me would go wrong: did. But what do u expect? Main repeat issues: both doors kept breaking hinges. Both seat adjust handles were broken off from the time I bought it & it's an impossible to fix, so no reclining my seats for 7 years. Heater stopped working 2 years ago (expensive fix to lift engine & change a $5 part). Engine light always on due to fuel cap being loose.

Good looking smaller SUV. Dependable.

Stronger door hinges or lighter weight doors. Fix the fuel cap-engine light issue: annoying for nothing.

myjimmy
By scotto1

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

i bought mine this year and the 4 wheel drive didnt work. it turned out to be 40 dollar dash switch so i was lucky. sunroof also doesnt work but other than that im glad i bought it. its got good power and doesnt hurt too much on gas. its the perfect thing for me!

v6 engine, 4 wheel drive, cargo space

Money pit
By money pit

2000 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV

When I finished making payments on this truck thats when everything started to go wrong. The transmission blew twice I'm on my third one same for my alternator, water pump, ball joints and the front end, the fuel pump and the intake manifold had to be replaced twice. Then I had to replace the rear wiper motor and rear door lock, the front wiper motor, the radiator, the spider injectors, the front wheel bearings, the window and lock controls never worked right, the 4x4 actuator has to looked at before the first snow fall because it has failed me many times. Thanks to gmc I'll never never buy an American car! Again

getting rid of it