Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Great Mid Sized SUV
By Ray

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine recently from a private seller that maintained it well. Since I've own it, I've put it through the paces, four wheeling, highway cruising, local traffic, this truck does it all. The comfort is great for this size truck; after all it's not a Mercedes. It's more than I expected , since my other vehicle is a 2004 Chevy Tahoe.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive, leather, auto climate control, CD player

Suggested Improvements

None, I like mine just the way it is.

im always fixing a new car
By ryan d. harris

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

i have replaced too much stuff on this car in two years. front hubs,3 batteries, water pump, a.c. compressor and accumulator. driver door fell off. drivor visor fell apart from the inside out, 4wd gets stuck, seat levers broke off, suspension is bad and causes tires to wear out every 6 months, check engine light stays on, brakes always squeal, driver door wont lock, security system doesent work, courtesy light wont come on. i would not reccomend this car to anyone. im scared for my wife to drive it

Favorite Features

accelerates well and has a strong engine and trans.good cargo space and comfortable interior

Suggested Improvements

everything could be improved. this car made me lose all faith in gm products and will probably never buy another one

questionable
By kesstan

1999 GMC Jimmy SL 4dr SUV 4WD

Had a '89 jimmy in high school..loved it. got this '99 about a year ago and hate it. It's not as roomy as i would like and i feel cramped. my one year old daughter is running out of space in the back seat. security light keeps coming on no matter what i do or where i bring it, same with the service engine soon light. don't care for the push button four wheel drive. right now i can't use the 4wheel drive or it sticks on.(not good where i live). okay ride over all never has left me stranded poor visability for someone my size when backing up or turnning into a tight spot i like the jimmy, but i don't probably will never buy another one

Favorite Features

easy monuvering in traffic and on back roads. good power.

Suggested Improvements

inside plastics are cheap.

Maybe because it was used?
By karin

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Bought it 2 years old. Brake power compressor fails. Seat levers for tilt break- off), first the passenger side, then the driver, $750 to repair each, because of configuration. Driver door hinge bends and cracks, can't repair without major body work (thousands $$$), door doesn't shut, electronic mirrors don't work, driver side wet in hurricanes, bad rain storms. Dash board fell (scary, but easy to fix). Body integrity poor, scratches very easily. Constant minor repairs, and replacements, windshield wiper motors, batteries, starter. Often smells of gasoline. Noisy, sounds like big TRUCK. And now the driver seat squeaks (minor, I know).

Favorite Features

Rides up higher than usual car, drives well off road. Good a/c and heat. Three power sources.

1999 GMC Jimmy
By YSUMARK

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

At first, this vehicle seemed great while it was under warranty - solid ride, not too many unwanted noises, good performance. After the warranty was gone, major expensive repairs started: Front Wheel bearings @ $550 each (a very common problem that GMC continues to ignore), 4-wheel drive encoder motor at $750, throttle position sensor at $150. I can't afford the repairs while I'm still making the monthly payments, and the vehicle only has 38K miles. GMC just wants to survive the warranty period, and then lets the consumer bear the costly repairs. I'll never buy another GMC product again.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive (when it works).

Suggested Improvements

If there are design defects that result in costly repairs for the consumer, GMC should step up and financially help out the customer instead of turning a cold shoulder. I will now turn a cold shoulder to their new products.