1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Not Bad
By jonic911 on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Have had no mechanical problems. Purchased with 40K now have 103K. Fun to drive 4wd works great.

What Else Can Go Wrong?
By BobbyBond2 on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I first thought this vehicle was a "great" deal. Soon to find out, I was completely wrong. Initial mileage at purchase was 26K. Here's the breakdown of the breakdowns in less than 1.5 years. 4x4 Vacuum Pump - (Under Man. Warranty) Approx Cost - $350.00 Driver Side Wheel Bearing @ 29K - $250.00 Passenger Side Wheel Bearing @ 31K - $250.00 Rear Brakes Bad @ 38K- $150.00 Rear Windshield Wiper Bad 40K - $150.00 Door Hinges (Poor Design=Water in hinges)38K- $30.00 Climate Control Board 45K - $350/part $100/Labor Just found out about "the Pitman Arm/Idler Arm" problem today 46K - $350.00 You be the judge.........

It could have been a nice car
By AlexV on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Handles well, comfy, pleasant to drive, reasonable footprint when parking or for city driving, however .... The oil cooler lines had to be replaced three times (the Jimmy is 3 1/2 years old, and has 100,000 kms (70,000 miles). Add to that a head gasket that cracked (at 100,000 kms), a rear main seal that had to be replaced (in warranty) .. not the most pleasant experience. GMC is not acknowledging that they have a problem with the oil cooler lines, even though I've been told by mechanics at three GMC dealerships that this is a known weakness.

NICKEL AND DIME TO DEATH
By Lora on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Where do I start, new ball joints,new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. new front stablizer bolts, c-v shaft and boot. All the above repairs still have not fixed the numerous problems and this vehicle has only 70,000 miles. I now have to replace the starter, throttle position sensor and possibly have the injectors flushed. I will be about $ 2000.00 up side down in my money pit. Do not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

NICKEL AND DIME TO DEATH
By LORA on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

GREAT LITTLE SUV
By VINCE on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

GREAT FOR CAMPING . I TOW A LARGE POP TENT TRAILER. NO PROBLEMS I LOVE THE TOW/ HAUL TRANNY.

big mistake
By eggplante on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

gas hog, rough ride, can't fit anything in it. lost value quickly. not a good buy for us!

1999 Jimmy
By jst100 on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Have had the vehicle for 4 months. Very satisfied overall.

no more Jimmy
By no more Jimmy on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

A new water pump, heater core flushed twice, replaced heater core, replaced radiator, replaced wheel barring casing and $2300 later I have had enough of the Jimmy. I like the look of the vehicle but the repair bills are killing me. This started happening at 50,000 miles. I had the vehicle serviced as recommended, flushed and changed everything. Just a very poor coolant system. Time for another vehicle.

Lots of Fun
By Happyrider on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jimmy. It has been reliable transportation and stylish as well. It's simply great fun to drive!