Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Don't buy one of these
By sponzo

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for four years and have had numerous electrical problems that were never solved, even by certified GMC dealer service shops. The transmission went at 72,000 miles, ending up in pieces in the oil pan. It has run rough after the 100K mile mark, a few times spewing transmission fluid all over the engine and causing it to smoke. The last time I took it for a drive, the engine spontaneously caught fire while I was driving. I pulled over and watched the entire SUV be overtaken in flames, including the interior and all personal belongings inside. Nothing was salvagable. The car had only 125K miles.

I did like the comfortable front seats, but they were definately not flame retardant.

Construct a vehicle that does not catch fire while driving down the road. If I had my children in the backseat they would have burned to death. The entire SUV was consumed in a matter of less than five minutes.

What else could go wrong
By done with GM

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the Jimmy so my wife could have a low cost 4wd vehicle. It's probably my fault for buying it used, but it certainly isn't low cost. After replacing the heater core ($750) ball joints twice ($200 each time) and fuel pump ($300) I can say I'm nothing but disappointed in this vehicle. And as I'm writing this my Jimmy is sitting idle in the garage with the fuel pump out again and the 4wd solenoid ($550) out. Having only put 15,000 miles on the car I'm nothing but dissatisfied

Layout of controls, and interior styling

Send out a posse to round up all the Jimmys, Blazers, Bravadas, S-10s and Sonomas and send them to the scrap heap where they can't plague the American consumer.

Never Again!
By PRM

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Quite nice to drive, when it works. I've never had a car with more issues. 36K warranty not nearly enough. Ignition module replaced three times (once under warranty. 35K, 65K, 98K). Smoke from the steering column as your electrical fails is not fun. New engine at 70K (radiator failed, overheated and took out the head and engine). Catalytic converter replaced at 106. Passenger recline lever snapped off in passengers hand and can't be fixed (the shaft broke). The AC stopped at about 100K. I haven't investigated yet. Other than that, no issues to speak of!

Full-time all wheel drive. Nice size (not too big)

Electrical reliability. Gas mileage is not good for a small SUV. Dextron should be changed much more often than the 50K originally claimed.

Money Pit!
By EGOLDEN

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had my Jimmy for 2 years and spent over $3,000 in various repair costs in the 2 years I had it and I only put 22,000 miles on it during those 2 years. That said, I did buy it used, but with low mileage on it. The vehicle should not have broken down as much as it did. I planned on having the vehicle for 3 more years, but at this point I need to cut my losses. It makes sense that this vehicle is phased out now.

Nice leather interior on the SLT. Decent looking vehicle overall.

Get rid of yours before it becomes the albatross mine did.

I love this thing!
By Kirk Galt

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I really love this vehicle; It's comfortable, drives well, and looks great. I had to do all of your basic maintenance, as well as some other stuff, but it's well worth it. I've had the problem with the door hinges, the temperature control actuator failed, and I've also had the dif rebuilt. Considering that I bought it used, and that it's almost seven years old and has over a 100k on it, I think that's pretty good. The motor is strong and runs great, the transmission is good and it's a great drive!

The looks, the feels, the grace.

None.