Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

1999 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Works with engine light on?
By astrocastro

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 42K miles on it, got smart and bought used car warranty. The warranty paid for itself with warranty repair at ~60K miles. Every year the check engine light comes on every spring and stays on till autumn and then extinquishes with the cooler temperatures. Found out it was related to some (again) transmission related problem....still works with light on. Like so many others also had to replace front wheel bearings (sealed, designed for zero maintenance?) and replace the cheap seat reclining mechanism passenger side. Of course the electrical stuff in the drivers door is always a problem, but probably due to mechanical (dirt etc.) I hear the motors.

Favorite Features

Except for the transmission failure and possibly impending same failure, have not been shouldered except once when I did not recognize impending battery failure (none since and unexplained?)

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle has been replaced with a newer model. GMC I have found this experience one of my poorest for your vehicles. (5th GM purchased..1st used GM)

Adrianne's Jimmy
By Adrianne

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I have replaced the radiator, the fuel pump, wheel bearings (twice), control arm bushings. Both visors have fallen apart, rear defrost doesn't work, ABS light won't go off. I have put about $3500 worth of work in the 3 years I have had this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

BUILD A BETTER CAR!

Beast of an SUV
By Klesel

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I've had my Jimmy for quite a while now and I'm extremely pleased. I'm a 17 year old kid, and I can honestly say I've put my SUV through things that no vehicle should live through. Off roading, highway speeding, mudding, drag races, you name it, I've beat on this truck for over a year and nothing has gone out yet! Very safe and reliable. Only problem is horrible gas mileage!

Favorite Features

4wd, rides higher than most suv's, powerful stereo, very roomy, leather interior. 4.3 engine, has a lot of towing power but will fly all the same

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was a standard, or way better on gas. Don't like the way the radio/AC controls are set up, pointed exaggeratively toward the driver

What a great value, used Jimmys.
By jimmysurecanjump

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for a year. I bought it with 87,000 miles. I just put new tires on it. Other than that the only expense has been oil changes and wipers. I love the storage space and good clean looks of the vehicle. Even with the deluxe SLT package the interior is a little plain to todays standards. It does have nice leather heated seats. I previously owned a 98 blazer that I bought new and only did oil, tires and front pads in 100K miles. These vehicles hold up and last. One can pick up a used 30k sticker vehicle for 4-6 K what a deal! Very realible and great utilty vehicle. I have found that cops tend to ignore this vehicle on speed traps too.

Favorite Features

Nice comfortable ride, storage space and reasonable size.

Suggested Improvements

Typical boring GM interior. Little plastic knobs and thing break with time. It could also use cup holders that really hold a cup.

Don't buy one of these
By sponzo

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for four years and have had numerous electrical problems that were never solved, even by certified GMC dealer service shops. The transmission went at 72,000 miles, ending up in pieces in the oil pan. It has run rough after the 100K mile mark, a few times spewing transmission fluid all over the engine and causing it to smoke. The last time I took it for a drive, the engine spontaneously caught fire while I was driving. I pulled over and watched the entire SUV be overtaken in flames, including the interior and all personal belongings inside. Nothing was salvagable. The car had only 125K miles.

Favorite Features

I did like the comfortable front seats, but they were definately not flame retardant.

Suggested Improvements

Construct a vehicle that does not catch fire while driving down the road. If I had my children in the backseat they would have burned to death. The entire SUV was consumed in a matter of less than five minutes.