Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

1999 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Trash Truck or SUV?
By Alex

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not to say that every thing about it is bad, but i have never owned a worse vehicle. I average 9.5 mpg driving conservatively and find myself in a serious money pit constantly b/c if its not the 3rd time i have to put gas in it in one week, I'm at the shop paying 500 dollars to replace the next thing that went wrong with it. I have replaced pretty much everything under the hood with the exception of the block itself, and that doesn't come cheap. All in all i would not recommend this car to anyone unless it was free and they only needed it because they are doing a demolition derby with it. Hopefully you wont have to make the same mistake as me and buy a jimmy.

This SUV actually got me to be known as a "regular" at the local gas station.

gas mileage, interior comfort, ride quality, build quality, back seat room, handling, acceleration, torque band, get rid of the burning smell that occurs after each trip. etc...

It's a love/hate thing with this Jimmy
By IowaBreeze

1999 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In 5 years and 130K miles I have replaced both front hub assemblies, two fuel pumps, heater core, whole AC system, tie rod ends,radiator, alternator, many sets of brake pads, and none of it is cheap!! Also, the seat back handle broke, the lights on the steering wheel and doors failed, the visor mirror lights quit, I have no floor heat, and my 4WD won't engage. $7000+ in repairs over 5 years! It is comfortable to drive and the engine is a runner, but the other components are pure junk. What a disappointment. 19 MPG is not too great at $3.00 per gallon. Never again!

Appearance is OK and it is fun to drive when it's not in the shop, which is about every 90 days. Easy to shift in and out of 4WD and it is great in the snow. Easy to corner and park. Lots of room in the back for cargo. Lots of cubbyholes for storage of small stuff.

Quality of product! Too many trips to the shop causes people to buy Toyotas next time...like I will!

Works with engine light on?
By astrocastro

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 42K miles on it, got smart and bought used car warranty. The warranty paid for itself with warranty repair at ~60K miles. Every year the check engine light comes on every spring and stays on till autumn and then extinquishes with the cooler temperatures. Found out it was related to some (again) transmission related problem....still works with light on. Like so many others also had to replace front wheel bearings (sealed, designed for zero maintenance?) and replace the cheap seat reclining mechanism passenger side. Of course the electrical stuff in the drivers door is always a problem, but probably due to mechanical (dirt etc.) I hear the motors.

Except for the transmission failure and possibly impending same failure, have not been shouldered except once when I did not recognize impending battery failure (none since and unexplained?)

This vehicle has been replaced with a newer model. GMC I have found this experience one of my poorest for your vehicles. (5th GM purchased..1st used GM)

Adrianne's Jimmy
By Adrianne

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I have replaced the radiator, the fuel pump, wheel bearings (twice), control arm bushings. Both visors have fallen apart, rear defrost doesn't work, ABS light won't go off. I have put about $3500 worth of work in the 3 years I have had this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone.

NONE

BUILD A BETTER CAR!

Beast of an SUV
By Klesel

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I've had my Jimmy for quite a while now and I'm extremely pleased. I'm a 17 year old kid, and I can honestly say I've put my SUV through things that no vehicle should live through. Off roading, highway speeding, mudding, drag races, you name it, I've beat on this truck for over a year and nothing has gone out yet! Very safe and reliable. Only problem is horrible gas mileage!

4wd, rides higher than most suv's, powerful stereo, very roomy, leather interior. 4.3 engine, has a lot of towing power but will fly all the same

Wish it was a standard, or way better on gas. Don't like the way the radio/AC controls are set up, pointed exaggeratively toward the driver