1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews 2

1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Works with engine light on?
By astrocastro on 11/02/07 21:29 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 42K miles on it, got smart and bought used car warranty. The warranty paid for itself with warranty repair at ~60K miles. Every year the check engine light comes on every spring and stays on till autumn and then extinquishes with the cooler temperatures. Found out it was related to some (again) transmission related problem....still works with light on. Like so many others also had to replace front wheel bearings (sealed, designed for zero maintenance?) and replace the cheap seat reclining mechanism passenger side. Of course the electrical stuff in the drivers door is always a problem, but probably due to mechanical (dirt etc.) I hear the motors.

Adrianne's Jimmy
By Adrianne on 11/02/07 14:46 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I have replaced the radiator, the fuel pump, wheel bearings (twice), control arm bushings. Both visors have fallen apart, rear defrost doesn't work, ABS light won't go off. I have put about $3500 worth of work in the 3 years I have had this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Beast of an SUV
By Klesel on 06/30/07 19:50 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I've had my Jimmy for quite a while now and I'm extremely pleased. I'm a 17 year old kid, and I can honestly say I've put my SUV through things that no vehicle should live through. Off roading, highway speeding, mudding, drag races, you name it, I've beat on this truck for over a year and nothing has gone out yet! Very safe and reliable. Only problem is horrible gas mileage!

What a great value, used Jimmys.
By jimmysurecanjump on 01/25/07 20:09 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this vehicle for a year. I bought it with 87,000 miles. I just put new tires on it. Other than that the only expense has been oil changes and wipers. I love the storage space and good clean looks of the vehicle. Even with the deluxe SLT package the interior is a little plain to todays standards. It does have nice leather heated seats. I previously owned a 98 blazer that I bought new and only did oil, tires and front pads in 100K miles. These vehicles hold up and last. One can pick up a used 30k sticker vehicle for 4-6 K what a deal! Very realible and great utilty vehicle. I have found that cops tend to ignore this vehicle on speed traps too.

Don't buy one of these
By sponzo on 12/16/06 20:19 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for four years and have had numerous electrical problems that were never solved, even by certified GMC dealer service shops. The transmission went at 72,000 miles, ending up in pieces in the oil pan. It has run rough after the 100K mile mark, a few times spewing transmission fluid all over the engine and causing it to smoke. The last time I took it for a drive, the engine spontaneously caught fire while I was driving. I pulled over and watched the entire SUV be overtaken in flames, including the interior and all personal belongings inside. Nothing was salvagable. The car had only 125K miles.

What else could go wrong
By done with GM on 09/05/06 12:25 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the Jimmy so my wife could have a low cost 4wd vehicle. It's probably my fault for buying it used, but it certainly isn't low cost. After replacing the heater core ($750) ball joints twice ($200 each time) and fuel pump ($300) I can say I'm nothing but disappointed in this vehicle. And as I'm writing this my Jimmy is sitting idle in the garage with the fuel pump out again and the 4wd solenoid ($550) out. Having only put 15,000 miles on the car I'm nothing but dissatisfied

Never Again!
By PRM on 08/29/06 09:35 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Quite nice to drive, when it works. I've never had a car with more issues. 36K warranty not nearly enough. Ignition module replaced three times (once under warranty. 35K, 65K, 98K). Smoke from the steering column as your electrical fails is not fun. New engine at 70K (radiator failed, overheated and took out the head and engine). Catalytic converter replaced at 106. Passenger recline lever snapped off in passengers hand and can't be fixed (the shaft broke). The AC stopped at about 100K. I haven't investigated yet. Other than that, no issues to speak of!

Money Pit!
By EGOLDEN on 08/15/06 13:25 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I had my Jimmy for 2 years and spent over $3,000 in various repair costs in the 2 years I had it and I only put 22,000 miles on it during those 2 years. That said, I did buy it used, but with low mileage on it. The vehicle should not have broken down as much as it did. I planned on having the vehicle for 3 more years, but at this point I need to cut my losses. It makes sense that this vehicle is phased out now.

I love this thing!
By Kirk Galt on 04/16/06 16:56 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

I really love this vehicle; It's comfortable, drives well, and looks great. I had to do all of your basic maintenance, as well as some other stuff, but it's well worth it. I've had the problem with the door hinges, the temperature control actuator failed, and I've also had the dif rebuilt. Considering that I bought it used, and that it's almost seven years old and has over a 100k on it, I think that's pretty good. The motor is strong and runs great, the transmission is good and it's a great drive!

Justin's Jimmy
By Justin on 01/28/06 13:43 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Reliable, good gas mileage, excellent repair record, comfortable ride, minimum maintenance required, sound system good quality.