Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

1999 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Good Bye Jimmy
By DoneWithGMC

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I will try not to repeat was has been said already, we have had 99 percent of the problems listed. The Jimmy was OK for the first 30K miles - and then it started acting like other GM products - everything started to fail, just when we would fix one thing for 600 buck the next thing would go wrong also for 600 bucks! It was so bad even our car repair guy told us to get rid of it (and we probably put his kid through college on the repair bills!) In short the problems can be broken into 2 lists - Big problems that slow/stop the car in its tracks and small problems like levers breaking that are just plain annoying - especially since this was the top end flagship Jimmy model. Avoid this clunk!

Favorite Features

Great the first year.

Suggested Improvements

GM should be completely shut and rebuilt from the ground up - it is a disgrace.

James the Jimmy
By Anselm

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok I've had a Jimmy for a few months now and i cant say that I haven't had my share of problems (Engine Job, Front Ball joints, Intake Gasket, Gas Gauge doesn't work, and a couple missing parts that fell off) since I got it. But this truck has has been quite reliable, it has been through the runs and hell and back in the months that I've owned it, its been through mudding, High speed driving, and casual driving. I like how it sits higher than most SUV's since it easier to go through deep mud and water and with some larger tires on it there's not many places that my Jimmy cant go.

Favorite Features

Button Lay out, On demand four-wheel drive, Seats, Cargo room, stability while driving, engine has great power

Suggested Improvements

The gas pedal should be a little more to the left since i always hit the upholstery when i press the gas, Lug nut covers fall off easily, the seats need to be more adjustable, cargo hooks are a little hard to flip up.

Never Another GM Product
By acuraowner

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have replaced/repaired transmission, wheel bearing hubs x2, 4wd module, 4 wd switch, heater head, fuel pump, alt, water pump, just to name a few. Kept hoping "this was the last fix." No dice. Rear wiper motor doesn't work but "no mas." Engine has random miss that dealer & independent mechanic can't cure despite replacement of coil, plugs, plug wires. Hey General Motors - Nice paperweight. But count me out forever!

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats (they still work). Bose stereo, but then it is Bose.

Suggested Improvements

Build a reliable vehicle

Trash Truck or SUV?
By Alex

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not to say that every thing about it is bad, but i have never owned a worse vehicle. I average 9.5 mpg driving conservatively and find myself in a serious money pit constantly b/c if its not the 3rd time i have to put gas in it in one week, I'm at the shop paying 500 dollars to replace the next thing that went wrong with it. I have replaced pretty much everything under the hood with the exception of the block itself, and that doesn't come cheap. All in all i would not recommend this car to anyone unless it was free and they only needed it because they are doing a demolition derby with it. Hopefully you wont have to make the same mistake as me and buy a jimmy.

Favorite Features

This SUV actually got me to be known as a "regular" at the local gas station.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, interior comfort, ride quality, build quality, back seat room, handling, acceleration, torque band, get rid of the burning smell that occurs after each trip. etc...

It's a love/hate thing with this Jimmy
By IowaBreeze

1999 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In 5 years and 130K miles I have replaced both front hub assemblies, two fuel pumps, heater core, whole AC system, tie rod ends,radiator, alternator, many sets of brake pads, and none of it is cheap!! Also, the seat back handle broke, the lights on the steering wheel and doors failed, the visor mirror lights quit, I have no floor heat, and my 4WD won't engage. $7000+ in repairs over 5 years! It is comfortable to drive and the engine is a runner, but the other components are pure junk. What a disappointment. 19 MPG is not too great at $3.00 per gallon. Never again!

Favorite Features

Appearance is OK and it is fun to drive when it's not in the shop, which is about every 90 days. Easy to shift in and out of 4WD and it is great in the snow. Easy to corner and park. Lots of room in the back for cargo. Lots of cubbyholes for storage of small stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of product! Too many trips to the shop causes people to buy Toyotas next time...like I will!