Used 1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

1999 GMC Jimmy

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Never left me stranded
By LOVE MY JIMMY

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy in 01. now has 200,000 miles. so far i have replaced the alternator the starter the fuel pump the cooling system with the heater core because of the GM dex cool anti freeze it came with it turns out it actually doesn't last 5 years or 150,000 miles. oh and CV joints all of this in the last few years of ownership and it all didn't happen back to back. It runs like a champ to this day and I get the best gas mileage any SUV has ever seen. all the repairs I made are just what happens with a vehicle that gets driven daily come on people its not a honda take care of your truck do all the upkeep on time. It's easier to fix a used car than pay a new car payment every month.

push button four wheel drive. And that it's paid off already.

If I could have got one with a sun roof I would be set.

Don't buy a Jimmy
By Jimmy

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

So far I've replaced the alternator , water pump,starter,4-wheel drive actuator,radiator,fuel pump,fuel filter,driver's side window motor,heater core is now out.I once had the cruise control stick while I was exiting the interstate . It was almost devastating.If you like working on cars or paying a mechanic then this is the vehicle for you.My wife had to have this vehicle and I gave in.Now we're both paying for it . Just to let you know the fuel filter costs $9.00 the tool to take it off with costs $15.00 .Buy anything other than G.M. .OR for that matter American made.Toyota , Nissan, Hyundai , Honda all build vehicles that are rated at the 200,000 mile mark. The American made 100,000 miles

none

Build a better vehicle

Good Bye Jimmy
By DoneWithGMC

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I will try not to repeat was has been said already, we have had 99 percent of the problems listed. The Jimmy was OK for the first 30K miles - and then it started acting like other GM products - everything started to fail, just when we would fix one thing for 600 buck the next thing would go wrong also for 600 bucks! It was so bad even our car repair guy told us to get rid of it (and we probably put his kid through college on the repair bills!) In short the problems can be broken into 2 lists - Big problems that slow/stop the car in its tracks and small problems like levers breaking that are just plain annoying - especially since this was the top end flagship Jimmy model. Avoid this clunk!

Great the first year.

GM should be completely shut and rebuilt from the ground up - it is a disgrace.

James the Jimmy
By Anselm

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok I've had a Jimmy for a few months now and i cant say that I haven't had my share of problems (Engine Job, Front Ball joints, Intake Gasket, Gas Gauge doesn't work, and a couple missing parts that fell off) since I got it. But this truck has has been quite reliable, it has been through the runs and hell and back in the months that I've owned it, its been through mudding, High speed driving, and casual driving. I like how it sits higher than most SUV's since it easier to go through deep mud and water and with some larger tires on it there's not many places that my Jimmy cant go.

Button Lay out, On demand four-wheel drive, Seats, Cargo room, stability while driving, engine has great power

The gas pedal should be a little more to the left since i always hit the upholstery when i press the gas, Lug nut covers fall off easily, the seats need to be more adjustable, cargo hooks are a little hard to flip up.

Never Another GM Product
By acuraowner

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have replaced/repaired transmission, wheel bearing hubs x2, 4wd module, 4 wd switch, heater head, fuel pump, alt, water pump, just to name a few. Kept hoping "this was the last fix." No dice. Rear wiper motor doesn't work but "no mas." Engine has random miss that dealer & independent mechanic can't cure despite replacement of coil, plugs, plug wires. Hey General Motors - Nice paperweight. But count me out forever!

Heated leather seats (they still work). Bose stereo, but then it is Bose.

Build a reliable vehicle