Used 1999 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

I recommend a 1999 JIMMY SLE 4-wheel drive!
By Gary E.Duchemin

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

You should be somewhat mechaniclly inclined if you do your own maintenance.Spark plugs& wires are a challenge. I highly recommend a K&N high flow airfilter,the truck's performance over all improved better than new even with 165,000 miles,it just want's to go! The truck is loaded & everything works.Do a little homework and make sure it has not been abused if you're interested in such a purchase.

Great engine
By chris

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS Sport 2dr SUV

I have to admit i have had issues with this vehicle. If you are looking to buy this car find out if the radiator has been replaced. These vehicles used Dexcool 3 when they first came out, it was issues so it will have or will rust out your radiator. I did a few different flushes on mine. I did have to replace the water pump, alternator, starter, and fuel pump. The fuel pump came at about 150,000 mile for me though. Keep and mind the drivers side door has issues, if you find a good body shop they will fix it for about $100. The Engine is awesome has always run like a champ for me considering i used this vehicle to deliver pizza. Overall it is a good buy and a safe SUV. I sold mine for $800 to a friend and it is still running with over 176,000 miles on it. As much as i enjoyed having this vehicle i can't give it 5 stars knowing all that was done to it, luckily for me i have a good mechanic and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg for repairs.

My 99 Jimmy SLE is GREAT
By brothermike777

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 99 Jimmy with only 76k on it from Enterprise Leasing company. It had some small issues that were an easy fix. I can't say its good on fuel but I can tell you it has always ran awesome,is so comfortable with many toys and most of all it feels sturdy and safe to drive. I had a Toyota pickup I loved but when I got hit it crumbled like an aluminum can. I know this truck would stand up in any accident situation due to its sturdy construction and placement of its 2nd generation airbags. Im extremely happy with it with no issues. I wish the rest of you the best with your issues. I know one thing I have always maintained it with proper dealer advised fluid changes and lubrication.GoodLuck

1999 GMC JIMMY Owner
By unhappy owner

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not very impressed with it the handle to recline the seat on the driver's side is broke off, smells of antifreeze when the heat is on, can't use drivers side door because it won't stay closed, the rear wiper motor doesn't work, makes a crunching noise when turning, buttons for the 4wd broke, leaks on passenger door when it rains. Doesn't start when it's real cold out.

Like the power it has when you depress the gas pedal,sits up high so it doesn't feel like you're riding on the ground, like the 4wd part, interior is nice.

Wouldn't own another one though don't like how much work it needs gets to expensive. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either. Good for the junk yard cost to much to keep running.

Been a good vehicle
By Mitch

1999 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV

We traded a big Ford van for our Jimmy and it took us a while to be satisfied, but finally decided we had done a good thing. This Jimmy has given us good service with probably just a little over average repairs. We have put probably 60,000 miles on our Jimmy and am now considering getting another vehicle. Since we can no longer buy a Studebaker, I don't really know what we may get. Everything is so expensive today especially for old folks who are on a broken income.

Always got us where we wanted to go in at least modest comfort.

Fewer electronic controls to go bad, more old-fashioned technology. Found out electronics in transmission could cost 1800 to replace. Fainted dead away.