1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
My 99 Jimmy SLE is GREAT
By brothermike777 on 10/19/11 16:34 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought a 99 Jimmy with only 76k on it from Enterprise Leasing company. It had some small issues that were an easy fix. I can't say its good on fuel but I can tell you it has always ran awesome,is so comfortable with many toys and most of all it feels sturdy and safe to drive. I had a Toyota pickup I loved but when I got hit it crumbled like an aluminum can. I know this truck would stand up in any accident situation due to its sturdy construction and placement of its 2nd generation airbags. Im extremely happy with it with no issues. I wish the rest of you the best with your issues. I know one thing I have always maintained it with proper dealer advised fluid changes and lubrication.GoodLuck

1999 GMC JIMMY Owner
By unhappy owner on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not very impressed with it the handle to recline the seat on the driver's side is broke off, smells of antifreeze when the heat is on, can't use drivers side door because it won't stay closed, the rear wiper motor doesn't work, makes a crunching noise when turning, buttons for the 4wd broke, leaks on passenger door when it rains. Doesn't start when it's real cold out.

Been a good vehicle
By Mitch on 07/22/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

We traded a big Ford van for our Jimmy and it took us a while to be satisfied, but finally decided we had done a good thing. This Jimmy has given us good service with probably just a little over average repairs. We have put probably 60,000 miles on our Jimmy and am now considering getting another vehicle. Since we can no longer buy a Studebaker, I don't really know what we may get. Everything is so expensive today especially for old folks who are on a broken income.

Never left me stranded
By LOVE MY JIMMY on 04/21/10 23:04 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy in 01. now has 200,000 miles. so far i have replaced the alternator the starter the fuel pump the cooling system with the heater core because of the GM dex cool anti freeze it came with it turns out it actually doesn't last 5 years or 150,000 miles. oh and CV joints all of this in the last few years of ownership and it all didn't happen back to back. It runs like a champ to this day and I get the best gas mileage any SUV has ever seen. all the repairs I made are just what happens with a vehicle that gets driven daily come on people its not a honda take care of your truck do all the upkeep on time. It's easier to fix a used car than pay a new car payment every month.

Don't buy a Jimmy
By Jimmy on 09/11/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

So far I've replaced the alternator , water pump,starter,4-wheel drive actuator,radiator,fuel pump,fuel filter,driver's side window motor,heater core is now out.I once had the cruise control stick while I was exiting the interstate . It was almost devastating.If you like working on cars or paying a mechanic then this is the vehicle for you.My wife had to have this vehicle and I gave in.Now we're both paying for it . Just to let you know the fuel filter costs $9.00 the tool to take it off with costs $15.00 .Buy anything other than G.M. .OR for that matter American made.Toyota , Nissan, Hyundai , Honda all build vehicles that are rated at the 200,000 mile mark. The American made 100,000 miles

Good Bye Jimmy
By DoneWithGMC on 08/16/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I will try not to repeat was has been said already, we have had 99 percent of the problems listed. The Jimmy was OK for the first 30K miles - and then it started acting like other GM products - everything started to fail, just when we would fix one thing for 600 buck the next thing would go wrong also for 600 bucks! It was so bad even our car repair guy told us to get rid of it (and we probably put his kid through college on the repair bills!) In short the problems can be broken into 2 lists - Big problems that slow/stop the car in its tracks and small problems like levers breaking that are just plain annoying - especially since this was the top end flagship Jimmy model. Avoid this clunk!

James the Jimmy
By Anselm on 04/27/09 09:48 AM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Ok I've had a Jimmy for a few months now and i cant say that I haven't had my share of problems (Engine Job, Front Ball joints, Intake Gasket, Gas Gauge doesn't work, and a couple missing parts that fell off) since I got it. But this truck has has been quite reliable, it has been through the runs and hell and back in the months that I've owned it, its been through mudding, High speed driving, and casual driving. I like how it sits higher than most SUV's since it easier to go through deep mud and water and with some larger tires on it there's not many places that my Jimmy cant go.

Never Another GM Product
By acuraowner on 06/01/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have replaced/repaired transmission, wheel bearing hubs x2, 4wd module, 4 wd switch, heater head, fuel pump, alt, water pump, just to name a few. Kept hoping "this was the last fix." No dice. Rear wiper motor doesn't work but "no mas." Engine has random miss that dealer & independent mechanic can't cure despite replacement of coil, plugs, plug wires. Hey General Motors - Nice paperweight. But count me out forever!

Trash Truck or SUV?
By Alex on 03/14/08 18:53 PM (PDT)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Not to say that every thing about it is bad, but i have never owned a worse vehicle. I average 9.5 mpg driving conservatively and find myself in a serious money pit constantly b/c if its not the 3rd time i have to put gas in it in one week, I'm at the shop paying 500 dollars to replace the next thing that went wrong with it. I have replaced pretty much everything under the hood with the exception of the block itself, and that doesn't come cheap. All in all i would not recommend this car to anyone unless it was free and they only needed it because they are doing a demolition derby with it. Hopefully you wont have to make the same mistake as me and buy a jimmy.

It's a love/hate thing with this Jimmy
By IowaBreeze on 12/05/07 12:58 PM (PST)

1999 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

In 5 years and 130K miles I have replaced both front hub assemblies, two fuel pumps, heater core, whole AC system, tie rod ends,radiator, alternator, many sets of brake pads, and none of it is cheap!! Also, the seat back handle broke, the lights on the steering wheel and doors failed, the visor mirror lights quit, I have no floor heat, and my 4WD won't engage. $7000+ in repairs over 5 years! It is comfortable to drive and the engine is a runner, but the other components are pure junk. What a disappointment. 19 MPG is not too great at $3.00 per gallon. Never again!

1 2 3 4 5 next »