Used 1998 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Disappoints
By Dennis Downey

1998 GMC Jimmy SL 2dr SUV

I have owned this Jimmy since it was new and have been very satisfied until a month ago when I lost all of my brakes with no indication that I had a problem. Come to find out when the unit was built they intalled the one brake line too close to the steering column and after 7 years it wore a hole in the line and during my last drive using the brakes exhausted all the fluid. I was very lucky that it didn't happen as I had just exited a major freeway and went home. I wrote a memo to GMC as this in my opinion should not have happened. I have not heard one reply from them and an very disappointed in that. So any of you 1998 Jimmy SL owners better check it could happen to you.

Favorite Features

I like the body style, interior and rear cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

No wonder GMC is about to crump, can't expect people to buy expensive cars and treat them like their opions don't count and want them to come back for a new vehicle. People do talk about their cars etc.. I would start listening to what they have to say.

Love my Jimmy
By Chris

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I had purchased my Jimmy with 80000 miles on it and have put 13000 more on it since purchase and have loved all of them. My wife and I have taken out camping, gone out of town and just plain drove the crap out of it. The 4wd works great and pulled out plenty of fords with it. Overall it's the best vechicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

The 4wd and the way the interior is set up are my favorite features

Suggested Improvements

Wish the 4wd models came with a taller stance

The Worst Car I Have Ever owned
By JP

1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

One month after purchase the front transmission decided to engage at 75 mph on the interstate. That was a $1200 computer chip replacement. 2 weeks later the brakes completely went out with no explanation from the dealer, $650. 7 months later the ingition lock went out, $300. 1 Year after having the front transmission fixed, it broke again and will engage by itself. Currently the rear window wiper motor has gone out, the ABS light is always on, the windshield wipers have a mind of their own and will stop after being on for ten minutes and take a break, or will continue to run after you turn them off. I wish I had more room to continue. This has been the worst car I have ever owned and will be the last GMC.

Favorite Features

It hasnt cost any money in the last 3 months

Suggested Improvements

I dont care I will never own another GMC again. Maybe the dealers should actually do the 101 point inspection as advertised on used cars instead of just talking about them.

"Love my Jimmy"
By 1998 GMC SLT SUV

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

A good vehicle. It runs smooth, and gets good highway gas mileage. Not great in town. I want another "JIMMY" SLT but I don't see a "Jimmy" on the market. Humm? What to buy next? Maybe I'll just have the engine rebuilt someday on this one.

Favorite Features

Fun name, great ride. Pretty Hot Red.

Suggested Improvements

The 1998 Jimmy creation should be bottled, it a great SUV.

My Mistake
By NoMoreGMC

1998 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

Bought used w/60,000 miles. So far replaced water pump, fuel pump, wheel hub assembly, windshield wiper motor & washer pump, brakes twice (rotors & all), right side mirror (bolts broke and it fell off), fixed various a/c leaks, a/c compressor, catalytic convertor. Power mirror motor has just died. Lots of quirky little electrical problems. Rear stereo speakers only work ocassionally. Can't use the rear windshield washer - it leaks into the back of the vehicle. Exterior paint chips easily. Sorry, I just don't have a lot of good things to say about this one. I just spent $1200 in repairs, so I'm keeping it for another year (or until it breaks again)... then it's bye- bye!

Favorite Features

Plenty of cargo space - which is why I bought it in the first place.

Suggested Improvements

Not everyone wants to buy a new vehicle every 3-5 years. GMC, you have the technology to build vehicles to last, so why not do it?