Used 1998 GMC Jimmy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

GMC SLS Jimmy 4x4
By Edwin Vazquez Jr

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle in NJ and used it for 4 yrs and then moved to Puerto Rico and this vehicle started to give me problems here. The seat level recliner snapped off on both side thats sad but true. The other items i changed on it is the battery, alternator, AC compressor and evaporator, fan belts, brake pads first time after 3 yrs. The ABS light on and Air Bag light drives me crazy but besides that I cant complain the truck has been very good and will continue to purchase GMC trucks. Edwin

Safety of the vehicle its strong and ready to pull what ever it can. Comfort, leg room. My wife likes the truck so i'm happy.

Better quality of the door weather strips that are attached on the door to prevent the wind humming sound while driving.

Complete Money Pit
By spartan268

1998 GMC Jimmy SL 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought me this car when I turned 16, they got it for about $3000. Unfortunately, they didnt take the time to make sure everything was in good shape. Over the past 2.5 years Ive replaced: Trans, a/c condenser, cat converter, front hub assmebly, radiator, exhaust, battery (twice), several computer chips, and now my fuel pump just died. I'm pretty sure theres more, but I cant even remember. I'd also expect a small SUV to get a little better mileage. By now, I could have bought 3 of these with the price of repairs - this thing is such a headache and a money pit, I can't wait to get rid of it. This will hands down be the last GM I ever buy.

Fun to drive, decent 4x4

Pretty much everything, I can see why they stopped making them...

Buyer beware
By BUYER BEWARE

1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV

Stay away from these trucks! I needed a car for college and found this nice, lady owned, Red 98 SLT with 100,000 miles on it. It was a great looking truck with black leather, and body was in great shape. However, after 7 months I replaced fuel pumps, idler arm, ball joints, 3 wheel bearings, battery, alternator, brakes, heater and more. Pain to work on. Needed more work than I could afford so after six months I sold it. I consider myself lucky because most people I talk to have had 4x4, and trannys go out. I try to buy American but now I know why I see so many late model Jimmys in the junkyard. These are money pits!

Nice interior, comfortable ride, good looking truck, good engine.

Everything electronic and less little parts that break easily.

Love this SUV
By love this suv

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

Only problem was a fuel pump. 250 dollars and that was at 140,000 miles. I replaced the tires only once in all the years i owned it. Still a smooth ride and a reliable one.

Its looks and storage

Make more

4x4ing fun
By Scott

1998 GMC Jimmy SLS Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I have owned by Jimmy since 2001 and I have had little issues, but for what I have done it to the thing it is quite expectable. The first thing I had to check out was the 4 wheel drive, so I hit the trails. By the end of the day I had it up to the frame in mud, without getting stuck, and all 4 wheels off the ground. I can deal with the minor repair (I love working on my truck), just need to find a good lift kit and then I off to the mud again. My overall view is play hard and things will break. Shut up fix the problem then it's time to play again. My wiper did the I have a mind of my owe I change the cabling and it is good to go. Need new mirrors and the drivers window gets stuck.

4x4ing and when I get a lift kit the mud will get deeper.

Lift kit and general maintenance. Upgrade the air intake and remember your every 30t mile checks. Take care of the car and the car will take care of you. A quote from the grandfather and it has not let me down yet.