Just Okay
By hobbie2k on
1997 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD
I bought my Jimmy from a friend on deployment largely because of a good price, low miles, and because it's an improvement over the $500 car I was driving, but it hasn't turned out to be as much of an improvement as I had hoped. The Jimmy is just another typical 90s American SUV. That means poor fuel economy, uncomfortable ride, poor build quality, cheap interiors, questionable reliability, and lackluster performance. In two months I've had to replace the intake manifold gaskets (common problem), lower ball joints (common problem), front and rear wiper motors (common problem), power steering lines (common problem), and now I think a U-joint is failing. It seems all the problems are common.
Favorite Features
It's not all bad, though. A large cargo area, decent towing capacity, and 4 wheel drive for winter help to redeem it. There are also a few nice interior touches like useable cup-holders, 3 12v outlets up front, and seats that are nice to look at, but bad to sit in. I also feel it is one of the better looking SUVs from the period. Lastly, while the truck has many issues, there are so many of them around that finding parts is actually quite easy.
Suggested Improvements
The cloth seats are the worst I've ever sat in. They are hard, unsupportive, & grow uncomfortable over long trips. The rear seats are also far tighter than they look. Build quality is poor, & interior materials (especially secondary controls) feel cheap. GM's turn/wiper/cruise stalk is awful. The gauges look cheap, but at least there's a full set & they are readable. The ride is harsh. The steering is dead & lifeless. The engine also doesn't feel as powerful as the numbers suggest & fuel economy is no better than some large SUVs. The brakes are inadequate for the vehicle's weight. Finally, the Jimmy has poor safety scores.