The Jimmy that could...
By HellHound on
1997 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD
As a former GMC mechanic turned US Marine, I know these trucks better then most. Being stationed in N.C. it see's all types of miles and weather. It has yet to fail me. I read most of these complaints and all I see is poor owner maintence. The only major problem I ever had with the truck is I spun a main bearing while pulling a much larger F-250 out of 1ft. of mud. But my little GMC did it with out hesitation. $400 in parts, no biggie! The power these trucks create and off- road abbility is mached by very few in there class. The engine is relible, strong,and decent on gas. I have 6 friends with the same truck who have never had a problem. Take care of this truck and it won't let you down.
Favorite Features
Strong, reliable 4.3L, great 4x4 capabilities, nothing is better in snow. Fun to drive, nice leather, easy to reach controls. Slick styling, decent gas milage, sunroof (rare in SUV of class) paint lasts forever, lots of cargo space. It can do just about any task you put it too.
Suggested Improvements
Does not matter now, but HID lights greatly improved my night driving. My 2 inch lift fixed the low hanging frame issue. Beter ball joints and rear disc upgrade is much better then the stock drums. I recommend everyone spend the money on that, big improvement!