Used 1997 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Just Okay
By hobbie2k

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy from a friend on deployment largely because of a good price, low miles, and because it's an improvement over the $500 car I was driving, but it hasn't turned out to be as much of an improvement as I had hoped.

The Jimmy is just another typical 90s American SUV. That means poor fuel economy, uncomfortable ride, poor build quality, cheap interiors, questionable reliability, and lackluster performance.

In two months I've had to replace the intake manifold gaskets (common problem), lower ball joints (common problem), front and rear wiper motors (common problem), power steering lines (common problem), and now I think a U-joint is failing.
It seems all the problems are common.

It's not all bad, though. A large cargo area, decent towing capacity, and 4 wheel drive for winter help to redeem it. There are also a few nice interior touches like useable cup-holders, 3 12v outlets up front, and seats that are nice to look at, but bad to sit in. I also feel it is one of the better looking SUVs from the period. Lastly, while the truck has many issues, there are so many of them around that finding parts is actually quite easy.

The cloth seats are the worst I've ever sat in. They are hard, unsupportive, & grow uncomfortable over long trips. The rear seats are also far tighter than they look. Build quality is poor, & interior materials (especially secondary controls) feel cheap. GM's turn/wiper/cruise stalk is awful. The gauges look cheap, but at least there's a full set & they are readable. The ride is harsh. The steering is dead & lifeless. The engine also doesn't feel as powerful as the numbers suggest & fuel economy is no better than some large SUVs. The brakes are inadequate for the vehicle's weight. Finally, the Jimmy has poor safety scores.

Good Experience
By joe

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I liked driving my Jimmy. Great for a low cost SUV. Fuel pump quit reporting fuel levels around 90k miles, and had to replace CV joint around 95k. Unfortunately, to replace the fuel pump, you have to replace the gas tank. Stupid. So I just kept track of mileage between fill-ups. Exterior plastic parts faded. Otherwise, no problems.

Handling in snow, leg room.

Better quality plastic (or no plastic). Improved fuel economy.

What did I do? Oh, I bought a Jimmy!
By Darrell

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy from a friend. As soon as I bought it I had to take it to Florida (about 800 miles one way). I noticed after it got to operating temperature, when the trans would shift it shifted hard. Checked the trans fluid at a rest stop and had to add. After adding the correct amount of fluid it shifted harder in every gear. Then I noticed the big trans leak. After it leaked down enough it shifted fine but dipstick dry. Electrical problems of many kinds. I had to take my critically ill wife to a specialty hospital and it broke down to and from the hospital with her in pain and me at night beside of the road trying to get her home. 2 days 200 miles. Still gives elec problems today any type strange

Roomy easy to drive. Quiet powerful, and comfortable. All accessories easy to use and reach. Pretty good looking truck. Fuel mileage used to be great. 20 mpg air cond on driving highway at 70 mph

The suspension needs improvements.Ball- joints going out less than 65,000 miles. The swaying and handling then was awful. The bump stops for the control arms were beat to nothing making it sway and kinda roll further than it was designed to I'm sure. Electrical nightmare times 1000. fuel gauge bad.

Amazing
By Female Driver

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 2dr SUV

I can't really complain about this car. I have had issues, but they were the fault of the previous owner (tire went flat, battery wont hold charge). The car itself is amazing. Being a girl, and a little on the small side, this car is nice. It gives me power in the snow and gets me where I need to go, yet isn't so big to the point where I'm scared to drive it. Overall I'd say this car is nice, very nice.

Smooth ride, size, sleek design

brakes aren't as "stop-on-a-dime" and one might expect from a car.

Can't Really Complain
By firephool

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, my parents bought it new to economize from the Suburban. I took it over my 3rd yr. of college because dad ruined the transmission in my 1993 Dodge Dakota. what can I say 189,000 mi or so and I've replaced everything on the vehicle once. But she survived very cruel treatment between my first few driving lessons, teen-driving, and off roading for volunteer fire calls. Money's-worth yes, but not anymore sunk too much into it this last time.

Tailgate, roofrack, and engine definitely powerful enough.

Reduce NVH especially when driving with windows down. The wind entering the car actually thuds.