1997 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Just Okay
By hobbie2k on 03/15/12 13:50 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy from a friend on deployment largely because of a good price, low miles, and because it's an improvement over the $500 car I was driving, but it hasn't turned out to be as much of an improvement as I had hoped. The Jimmy is just another typical 90s American SUV. That means poor fuel economy, uncomfortable ride, poor build quality, cheap interiors, questionable reliability, and lackluster performance. In two months I've had to replace the intake manifold gaskets (common problem), lower ball joints (common problem), front and rear wiper motors (common problem), power steering lines (common problem), and now I think a U-joint is failing. It seems all the problems are common.

Good Experience
By joe on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I liked driving my Jimmy. Great for a low cost SUV. Fuel pump quit reporting fuel levels around 90k miles, and had to replace CV joint around 95k. Unfortunately, to replace the fuel pump, you have to replace the gas tank. Stupid. So I just kept track of mileage between fill-ups. Exterior plastic parts faded. Otherwise, no problems.

What did I do? Oh, I bought a Jimmy!
By Darrell on 05/05/10 04:40 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Jimmy from a friend. As soon as I bought it I had to take it to Florida (about 800 miles one way). I noticed after it got to operating temperature, when the trans would shift it shifted hard. Checked the trans fluid at a rest stop and had to add. After adding the correct amount of fluid it shifted harder in every gear. Then I noticed the big trans leak. After it leaked down enough it shifted fine but dipstick dry. Electrical problems of many kinds. I had to take my critically ill wife to a specialty hospital and it broke down to and from the hospital with her in pain and me at night beside of the road trying to get her home. 2 days 200 miles. Still gives elec problems today any type strange

Amazing
By Female Driver on 05/14/09 09:54 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 2dr SUV

I can't really complain about this car. I have had issues, but they were the fault of the previous owner (tire went flat, battery wont hold charge). The car itself is amazing. Being a girl, and a little on the small side, this car is nice. It gives me power in the snow and gets me where I need to go, yet isn't so big to the point where I'm scared to drive it. Overall I'd say this car is nice, very nice.

Can't Really Complain
By firephool on 10/03/08 10:49 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Well, my parents bought it new to economize from the Suburban. I took it over my 3rd yr. of college because dad ruined the transmission in my 1993 Dodge Dakota. what can I say 189,000 mi or so and I've replaced everything on the vehicle once. But she survived very cruel treatment between my first few driving lessons, teen-driving, and off roading for volunteer fire calls. Money's-worth yes, but not anymore sunk too much into it this last time.

Greatest First Car
By Jrod08 on 07/07/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this vehicle over a year now. It has really grown on me. I originally wanted a 1998 or newer Blazer, but I got my Jimmy instead. The 4.3 liter engine is outstanding. Every time someone sees my SUV they say that the engine in it is really good. GM designed the V6 really well. I get 20 miles per gallon city driving and around 23 highway. I am highly satisfied with that. I've always wanted the interior that the 1998 and up Jimmies have, but it is satisfactory. Never had any major mechanical or electrical problem. I have only replaced the front ball joints on the suspension arms and replaced the ignition wires in the steering column.

Offroading Monster
By schwiggy55 on 06/24/07 13:15 PM (PDT)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

This Jimmy took every beating i threw at it and it still runs like a champ. It handles great in the mountain and good enough on the snow. The only problem is the gas milage. But this is one of the most reliable cars ive ever had.

Junk
By jp1 on 12/07/06 14:19 PM (PST)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is by far the worst car I have ever had. When it starts, and you never know if it will, it sounds like a flock of birds going down the road. It makes weird noises in the dashboard, along with popping noises from the windshield. On wet pavement or snow and ice it is completely unmaneuverable and unsafe. Brakes are undersized and inefficient for the vehicle. It is terrible for wasting gas. I had a '78 Oldsmobile 88 that got better mileage. The door locks freeze up completely at 29 degrees F. Oil cooler hoses can go without warning, frying the engine within a matter of minutes. The CD player and sunroof work, so you can listen to music while the snow comes falling in. I'd rather walk.

GMC Jimmy '97
By FarmerD on 03/31/06 07:27 AM (PST)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 2dr SUV 4WD

The only major problems I have experienced with the Jimmy has been electrical - had to replace ignition switch which caused "CHECK ENGINE" light to stay on and the transmission to shift erratic. I also had an over heating problem that required me to replace the Radiator pluseI had a minor transmission leak where the shift lever enters the transmission body.

Excellent truck
By matt on 03/04/06 12:42 PM (PST)

1997 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS Sport 4dr SUV 4WD

I like GM vehicles and have owned my Jimmy since new. I think it works very well up here in our Canadian winters. I have had to do some repairs to major components but very vehicle out there needs maintance and repairs. My guess is that the trucks that people are having trouble with was likely from people not having the proper maintance preformed. Overall I love my Jimmy. It's comfortable, great in snow, handles and brakes well. The a/c and all the options work just as they should. Fuel milage is fair, but if I was really looking for mileage I would drive a Chevy Cavailer. When I go to replace my Jimmy I will buy another GM SUV without a doubt.