Used 1996 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Most Helpful|
Great Everyday SUV
By Chadthehammer

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm 20 years old and I Have worked construction throwing a wheel barrel in the back just putting the seats down, storing my fishing poles beside my tools, helped plenty of friends move a few things like small dressers and televisions, Camping is fun especially when dealing with the muddy and dirt roads just putting it in 4WD. and now being a Sales man I use it to transport packages and when I'm running a little late I like the option of just driving up onto a sidewalk or off road or squeezing between some small areas to maneuver around heavy congestion and traffic. I love it and the few repairs to the bushings, tires, and some electronics were worth it.

Favorite Features

when I'm running a little late I like the option of just driving up onto a sidewalk going off road or squeezing between some small areas to maneuver around heavy congestion and traffic. Just a all around fun vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Bushings, cold air intake, Not much I replaced the engine with one with half the mileage 70k on new engine 155k on the truck alone.

13 years and still going strong!
By brett favre fan4

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the car in 1997 as a gift for my wife. in 1999, I ended up with the car. I ruined it. I crashed it seven times, over used the heat until it broke, my son accidently threw a basketball at the side view mirror and busted it so I glued, taped, and tied the mirror back on, a car purposly knocked off and stole the other side view mirror while i went shopping one day, and the trunk couldnt shut anymore. but "hey", it still runs like a beauty and gets me where I want to go. Got to love the Jimmy.

My Green Jimmy
By RHB3124

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jimmy used with 96,000 miles on it. Now have 196000 on it and while I have had to replace maintenance items, overall it been dependable. A little noisy in the front end, probably needs carrier bearings. Ball joints and shocks & wheel bearings have been replaced. Otherwise plenty of power for what I do. Have had to replace water pump, (radiator(plastic broke)) (AC cooling coil(Struck)) fuel pump and driver side door hinge. 4 wheel drive works as long as I engage and disengage it in the driveway in the summer to keep it freed up. Not much rust for as old as this truck is getting. I would buy another just like it. Hope GMC will downsize one of their SUV's someday so I can buy one

Favorite Features

Ease of use and repair. Appearance & drive train.

Suggested Improvements

Better diagrams on the internet. The dealers maintenance manuals should be available on the internet for 30 years. I like the truck. Better front suspension. Better qualified people to work on front suspension at dealership.

Very Happy With My Jimmy SUV
By anthony

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD

I had to replace my lifters on my Jimmy after 7 years. And the check engine light always comes on, but they never find anything wrong with my SUV. Other then that, great American SUV. Would buy another one, very happy with my GMC Jimmy

Favorite Features

Comfort ride every time

Suggested Improvements

Better gas miles

I love my "Jimmy"!
By frebeckil

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 187,000+ miles on this Jimmy and now I am starting a few problem...ball joint, booster and I let the brakes go so now have to replace rotors. It has been one of the very best vehicles I've owned and it looks so nice, too. I love the small SUV feel, not boaty big. I have to face the fact that I will have to soon part with it and don't know what will be as good for that many miles. Absolutely no major problems and the motor still carries a strong oil pressure.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and love the short wheel base. Good power and exceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility but, then it wouldn't be as nice looking..