1996 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

1996 GMC Jimmy 2dr SUV

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Great Everyday SUV
By Chadthehammer on 04/03/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm 20 years old and I Have worked construction throwing a wheel barrel in the back just putting the seats down, storing my fishing poles beside my tools, helped plenty of friends move a few things like small dressers and televisions, Camping is fun especially when dealing with the muddy and dirt roads just putting it in 4WD. and now being a Sales man I use it to transport packages and when I'm running a little late I like the option of just driving up onto a sidewalk or off road or squeezing between some small areas to maneuver around heavy congestion and traffic. I love it and the few repairs to the bushings, tires, and some electronics were worth it.

My Green Jimmy
By RHB3124 on 01/07/10 16:07 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jimmy used with 96,000 miles on it. Now have 196000 on it and while I have had to replace maintenance items, overall it been dependable. A little noisy in the front end, probably needs carrier bearings. Ball joints and shocks & wheel bearings have been replaced. Otherwise plenty of power for what I do. Have had to replace water pump, (radiator(plastic broke)) (AC cooling coil(Struck)) fuel pump and driver side door hinge. 4 wheel drive works as long as I engage and disengage it in the driveway in the summer to keep it freed up. Not much rust for as old as this truck is getting. I would buy another just like it. Hope GMC will downsize one of their SUV's someday so I can buy one

13 years and still going strong!
By brett favre fan4 on 07/22/09 16:58 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the car in 1997 as a gift for my wife. in 1999, I ended up with the car. I ruined it. I crashed it seven times, over used the heat until it broke, my son accidently threw a basketball at the side view mirror and busted it so I glued, taped, and tied the mirror back on, a car purposly knocked off and stole the other side view mirror while i went shopping one day, and the trunk couldnt shut anymore. but "hey", it still runs like a beauty and gets me where I want to go. Got to love the Jimmy.

I love my "Jimmy"!
By frebeckil on 03/05/09 10:13 AM (PST)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

I have 187,000+ miles on this Jimmy and now I am starting a few problem...ball joint, booster and I let the brakes go so now have to replace rotors. It has been one of the very best vehicles I've owned and it looks so nice, too. I love the small SUV feel, not boaty big. I have to face the fact that I will have to soon part with it and don't know what will be as good for that many miles. Absolutely no major problems and the motor still carries a strong oil pressure.

Very Happy With My Jimmy SUV
By anthony on 04/01/08 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD

I had to replace my lifters on my Jimmy after 7 years. And the check engine light always comes on, but they never find anything wrong with my SUV. Other then that, great American SUV. Would buy another one, very happy with my GMC Jimmy

Amazing
By car maniac on 03/02/08 15:43 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD

More power and better gas mileage. Loved it since I bought it. Found nothing wrong with it. Me and my friends love the comfort of the interior.

Great buy
By Ron Cairns on 03/13/07 19:01 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought at under 100 G miles, now have 165G miles. Driven across Canada and to Florida. I maintain it well and other that the normal repairs I am pleased with this GMC. Yes ball joints and oil cooler lines have been changed. Keep an eye on rear wheel bearings. Grease those ball joints and when you replace use "MOOG". Most problems are bad mechanics, and no service. Over the years I have owned a lot of cars and trucks. This Jimmy is certainly one of my fav's

Mileage
By kyle kastanek on 11/22/06 14:12 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 2dr SUV 4WD

I think this is a great SUV for a sixteen year old to drive. It gets around a 20 miles a gallon and with gas prices your kids will not be asking you for gas money. They are a fun truck to drive.

I Love My Jimmy!!
By Britt on 02/06/06 12:41 PM (PST)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jimmy. When I get enough money I want to get an SUV just like it. Maybe a newer Jimmy with not as many miles. I love the ride and the comfort. It doesn't feel big, bulky, or boxy like an Explorer.

GMC's stink
By DB from PA on 10/21/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 4dr SUV 4WD

Many electrical problems with this since purchase, wipers, lights, radio, mirrors, interior light/door switch, etc. Got them fixed. Weak driver's side door hinge, O2 sensors go bad frequently, never received letter about ball joint recall and paid out of pocket instead. AC has had problems, fan switch....must I go on? Buy a Toyota, Nissan or Isuzu instead and save yourself some headaches. GMC needs to go back to the drawing board on this one.