Used 1996 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Very used.
By Cole

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV 4dr SUV

First let me say i got this car for free as a gift and it was very used. I got it with over 230,000 miles and now it has over 250,000 miles and i drive it hard more often than i should. I had to replace the radiator and hoses, something with my fuses is bad so my interior light is on( so i pulled the fuse and it is connected to my horn and rear glass lock) my transmission is going out and brakes are sad. Overall not bad for so many miles but brakes could have been better. Gas mileage is also poor. The car has better acceleration than I thought it would very slow at top end.

Thanks GM
By T.J.L.

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SL 4dr SUV 4WD

I just wanted to take the time to express my thanks to you for making my selection to
purchase another vehicle so simple. Being a loyal GM customer starting with a purchase of a new
1963 Chevrolet Impala from "Z-Frank Chevrolet" (Petersen Ave Chicago, Illinois) and continuing
to buy G.M. vehicles throughout the years (3 in this household-1996 Jimmy 4x4, 1999 S10, 2001
GMC Sierra) and working in the automotive field over 30years.
As an "engine-power train" mechanic in the Military (1968-70) inc. Viet Nam working on tanks &
APC's w/GMC 6v & 8v diesels, and continuing in the civilian world as a auto mechanic for 20
years, it has given me the knowledge and understanding to evaluate and surmise a variety of
automotive problems. Moving into the automotive insurance industry as a field appraiser/adjustor
I frequently have to determine the causes of auto-accidents, be it a result of a driver's judgment
or in some cases mechanical failures. My experience in the past with GM has been satisfactory in
the majority of instances which required intervention with local dealerships and representatives of
whatever division represented, however, you have now enlightened me to refocus my outlook and
to "LOOK AGAIN" (I'm sure you heard that phrase?).

In Re: your case # 1-138599825

I was one of the lucky people to purchase a 1996 Jimmy 4x4 "SLT" for my wife.
It came complete with all options including all the wonderful "shared" mechanical failures of the
many other 1996 Jimmy & Blazer owners.

One of the best unadvertised features incorporated is the "Russian Roulette Brake System"
(more fun than a tornado)

It will sure make your adrenalin glands work to their maximum capabilities, although our laundry
bill has risen! Wooo!..,what a rush! I just love to play the included free game "Will it or Won't it
Stop in Time-ver 2.0".

At 59 yrs. old I've had a full life anyway.

As of today with 39,430 actual miles I have been blessed with the privilege of requiring my 3rd
brake power booster.

I sure like that, it makes it easy to remember the number 3, like also the 3rd alternator.

Shucks, if I'm lucky, they will both catch up to the 4 batteries!

To bad, the driver power window regulator motor is only the 2nd , oh well "Sh~~ Happens ! ".

We where extremely privileged to repair the front brake failure @17,000 miles or so (wow, we
were lucky. We usually have to wait for at least 30,000 miles or so.) and I only had to pay a
percentage (hmm..,?`~@##*-) Hats off to that "great engineering design" in the elite
manufacturing process.

I am excited and really looking forward to the seeing the transmission dissected which will be in
the future for sure, I can hardly wait. Little did I know after I tried to pull out the trans dipstick
@13,000 miles, lo and behold you cute little devils included a hidden bonus of a sexy shade of
brown stuff embedded in the tube. I just love all those little extra things you include @ no-charge.
Geeze, I didn't hear from you guys about that service bulletin,(one of over 250) that led to fun and
games $@ the tranny shop with a old version of "Flush & Fill". I felt a little sad I didn't get to play
your new improved game.

Living in the desert with the constant temperature over 100 degrees I can hardly wait for the ac
compressor to die again. It seems to be lagging, only had to replace it once so far but I'm sure it
will see what the other components are doing and will join the game. I know by the oil spots on
the driveway we do have some unknown players trying out for a place in my wallet. Wondering if
maybe they made the hoses with "natural-breathing" rubber?

It's a shame we have never driven it off road or we could have really enjoyed ourselves, with
some of the other neat mechanical failures I read about in the hundreds of pages posted on the
internet by other "Happy Owner's" of the same year and type vehicles. I guess I can be thankful
that you have sparked my curiosity to determine the trick you use to make a "power brake
booster" FAIL twice in less than 40,000 miles... not really sure if I will keep the "Jimmy" long
enough to figure that one out! Seems I found some replacement vehicles but I'm not sure my wife
is ready to give someone else the chance to have all the fun playing the newest modestly priced
"$590.00" OEM Full featured GMC game

"Kill-her now? Will it or Won't it Stop in Time.., ver 3.0" or also available @ a local repair facility
the Lite version "Maybe it Will, Maybe it Won't" after-market @ a slightly lower cost.

Again, I want to personally THANK YOU and congratulate your company for not standing up to
your product.

Most of all, thanks for providing me with a whole new outlook to "LOOK AGAIN"

P.S. please let me know if you decide to make the "Corvair" again. I sure would like one.

T.J.L.
aka "jimmy-deep-pockets"
Finally lost "Kill-her now? Will it or Won't it"

Great Everyday SUV
By Chadthehammer

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm 20 years old and I Have worked construction throwing a wheel barrel in the back just putting the seats down, storing my fishing poles beside my tools, helped plenty of friends move a few things like small dressers and televisions, Camping is fun especially when dealing with the muddy and dirt roads just putting it in 4WD. and now being a Sales man I use it to transport packages and when I'm running a little late I like the option of just driving up onto a sidewalk or off road or squeezing between some small areas to maneuver around heavy congestion and traffic. I love it and the few repairs to the bushings, tires, and some electronics were worth it.

when I'm running a little late I like the option of just driving up onto a sidewalk going off road or squeezing between some small areas to maneuver around heavy congestion and traffic. Just a all around fun vehicle.

Bushings, cold air intake, Not much I replaced the engine with one with half the mileage 70k on new engine 155k on the truck alone.

My Green Jimmy
By RHB3124

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my Jimmy used with 96,000 miles on it. Now have 196000 on it and while I have had to replace maintenance items, overall it been dependable. A little noisy in the front end, probably needs carrier bearings. Ball joints and shocks & wheel bearings have been replaced. Otherwise plenty of power for what I do. Have had to replace water pump, (radiator(plastic broke)) (AC cooling coil(Struck)) fuel pump and driver side door hinge. 4 wheel drive works as long as I engage and disengage it in the driveway in the summer to keep it freed up. Not much rust for as old as this truck is getting. I would buy another just like it. Hope GMC will downsize one of their SUV's someday so I can buy one

Ease of use and repair. Appearance & drive train.

Better diagrams on the internet. The dealers maintenance manuals should be available on the internet for 30 years. I like the truck. Better front suspension. Better qualified people to work on front suspension at dealership.

13 years and still going strong!
By brett favre fan4

1996 GMC Jimmy SUV SLS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the car in 1997 as a gift for my wife. in 1999, I ended up with the car. I ruined it. I crashed it seven times, over used the heat until it broke, my son accidently threw a basketball at the side view mirror and busted it so I glued, taped, and tied the mirror back on, a car purposly knocked off and stole the other side view mirror while i went shopping one day, and the trunk couldnt shut anymore. but "hey", it still runs like a beauty and gets me where I want to go. Got to love the Jimmy.