1995 GMC Jimmy Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

1995 Jimmy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Sort Reviews by

Great beginner's car
By wspringer

1995 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love this vehicle. Got it a few months ago as my 1st car (I'm 17). Very comfortable and nice looking. Easy to drive. Has a lot of modern amenities in it that my mom's 2010 Malibu doesn't even have. 4 wheel drive goes great in tough situations. Gonna keep this until it falls apart. It has no rust and under 130,000 miles on it now so I'm hoping it lasts a long time.

Piece O Junk
By NotSoLucky

1995 GMC Jimmy 2dr SUV

The guy who sold me this junk knew what he was doing Its nothing but money money and problems they are good about posting the problems but wont respond to anything and wont put out a penny for all the mess they created what ever happened to good american cars? Will never buy again. Dont even give a second look just run the other way.

body goeth before engine
By Ms Tru Indeed

1995 GMC Jimmy SL 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my truck from a auction, expecting it to run for a year@16500 miles to get me over. Im hitting 200,000. The body is rusting the inside is falling apart, but the dern engine is still going. i want to trade it in, but I cant let it go. Since im good with maintanance on older vehicle (be it that I'm 33 yrs old and female) I think I can get another 40,000. What the heck, its paid for, and im saving money (not on gas though) for that GMC Tahoe. GO GM!!!

Favorite Features

the engine is easy to get into. chunky but funky.

Suggested Improvements

the gas mileage. Yuck!

1995 GMC Jimmy
By aml2brn

1995 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Jimmy. It's the most reliable vehicle that I have owned other than my 1979 3/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne. The only issue that I have had with my Jimmy is the fuel economy. I accredit that to the fact that it is 13 years old and it's been driven fairly regularly with average maintenance. I would not sell or trade my Jimmy without serious consideration, even with todays gas prices.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of my Jimmy is the push button four wheel drive. I used it just about every day this past winter without any complications. It's also a great vehicle to trust my family in.

Suggested Improvements

I have no suggestion for improvements. I like my Jimmy just the way it is.

1995 GMC Jimy Wagon SLT 4 DR 4x4
By JD

1995 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought this truck brand new and used it up to about 84,000 miles. it sat for five years till I took it over. Being that is sat for five years many of the parts are rotted out and needed to be replaced. So far I've had to fix the ac compresor, spider fuel injector assembly, brake system including lines, catalytic converter, starter. I had a few of the parts put in but otherwise the Jimmy is pretty easy to work on yourself. I enjoy the truck and I think even for a 95 the truck looks great. My red paint has held up almost 15 years and except for the few scrathces the paint looks like new, the leather held up and litterly looks new the back seats dont even have any wear marks.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, fold down back seats for storage, tail gate, easy to work on motor, 4x4, power everything, electric seats, map lights, cargo racks

Suggested Improvements

Brake system

1995 Jimmy
By Craig Berlehner

1995 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I abuse this vehicle. When it dies, I will buy a new GMC to replace it. It just doesn't seem it will ever happen. I confidently drive this vehicle from coast to coast.

Favorite Features

Cosmetic appeal.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Great SUV and Dependable!
By S Saunders

1995 GMC Jimmy SLS 2dr SUV

This has been an excellent vehicle and I'm still driving it. It would be nice to have better fuel economy and I never liked the plastic front bumper that could never be cleaned like new. Other than that, I could not ask for more in a vehicle. I've never kept a vehicle this long but it still looks like new and runs great! When new, the transmission always had hesitation. A new one was placed in it at about 33,000 miles (under warranty) and that is what is in it today with no problems.

Favorite Features

The interior is comfortable. I love the dark tint on the windows and fact the seats in the back fold flat - big selling point for me.

Suggested Improvements

The MPG has always been a dissapointment. The storage bins on either side of the backseat could never be used because the latches were flimsy. My biggest peeve is the front bumper that could never be cleaned like new. It absorbed dirt and road grime from the beginning - coundn't get it white.

I got shafted
By I_got_shafted

1995 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this car to have 4x4 for NJ snow. Along with it I had to replace muffler, tires, engine, altinator, muffler, catalic converter, some diaphram thing for the brakes, don't even try to replace the spark plugs on this took me 2 days, waterpump, fuelpump, 4x4 switch. I think I have done enough work and replaced enough of this to build a new car. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Favorite Features

Not owning one.

Suggested Improvements

Blow the car up, start from scratch.

I learned to drive in this thing!
By maiden87

1995 GMC Jimmy SLS 4dr SUV

The Jimmy runs and idles smoothly. When in a fender-bender, the Jimmy was driven away with nothing more than a bent exhaust pipe and a dent and scratch about three inches in diameter on its back bumper while the other vehicle was basically totaled; the owner was not able to drive away. The only real problems Iíve ever had were that the microchip which controls things like the windshield wipers burns out rather easily, and the transmission recently had to be replaced completely.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, nice style, comfortable, smooth ride...good for long trips because of size, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical parts could probably stand having increased durability and make.

I Like My Jimmy
By Not Bad

1995 GMC Jimmy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle used with approx 85K miles on it in 5/01 in VG cond. Since the purchase I have replaced only normal maintanence items such as tires, brakes, muffler; which the vehicle needed when purchased anyways. Overall the vehicle has been very dependable and has needed nothing replaced other than the previous mentioned items even with 127K miles on it!

Favorite Features

It was the exterior styling and versatility of the vehicle that first attracted me to it. The 195 hp Vortec engine is pretty peppy and provides the exceleration needed for merging into traffic and highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the AC. The AC is weak in this vehicle in temperatures above 90 deg ferenhiet. I noticed the engine will almost overheat and the AC starts to wimp out. The steering could be more nimble, as there is allot of oversteer due to a heavy curb weight when cornering.