Used 1994 GMC Jimmy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Gmc Jimmy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:

Like A Rock!!!
By kwr1990

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

My grandparents bought my 1994 Jimmy new in 1994. It is the Automatic 4wd white with tan interior. Mine has the 4.3 Vortec CPI. It currently has 436,788 miles and have never turned a wrech to it except for maintainence. Never been rebuilt and has never let me down. It has towed everything I could hook to it and been off road more than on road. I love it, it's reliable, cheap operating cost and will last you forever.

Favorite Features

4wd, 4.3 vortec, EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

nothing

Really Reliable, Aside from Some Maintenance
By kingsolidsteve

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first vehicle I used to learn how to drive. My dad bought it from a small private dealer in 2006, and I became the primary driver of the Jimmy the following year. During the three years I had it, the A/C, fuel pump, starter, alternator, battery, and a belt had to be replaced. Luckily, it ran well without any problems after that. However, it got abysmal gas mileage, usually 10-14 mpg, but I think that may have been attributed to the fuel pump issue. The power windows also started to die towards the end, but that's to be expected of an older vehicle. Overall, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to have driven this vehicle and will remember it well since it was my first.

Favorite Features

Comfy leather interior, plenty of interior space, easy to handle, plenty of power for towing.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, fix the fuel pump and fuel gauge.

Never had a better, more dependable SUV
By 94jimmy81

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jimmy has 251,000 miles and I have never done any major engine or tranny work to it. Parts are cheap and it overall has been a pretty easy vehicle to work on. But never had a problem with it, it starts up every morning without a problem. The 4 wheel drive system is awesome too.

Favorite Features

I love the ride (very smooth), but still has the ruggedness to let you know that you can take it off-road whenever you want or need to.

4 years w/my Jimmy
By Gal-a-van-tin

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought my Jimmy, it had 68K on it and lots of surface rust. I had that removed and now it needs it again. I like the interior except, would like a movable console between seats for extra space. I bought it for the 4WD feature to feel more secure in bad weather. Also, I wanted to do lots of road trips and camp out of the car. This is great! A twin-size mattress fits in the back comfortably and I can go almost anywhere with it. The engine has been very reliable and my mechanic says I should have no problem getting another 50,000 miles out of it. I have had basic repairs and maintenance, but nothing out of the ordinary, $100- $300/yr. I would change a few things with the design.

Favorite Features

Tinted windows, 4WD (I love the tight turning radius!), cruise control. Comfortable seats (good lumbar support). Interior lights. Extra plug for cell phone. Full-size spare tire is great (no 'donut' for me).

Suggested Improvements

Rear windows that go all the way down. Better rear visibility (spare tire in the way). Rear wiper connected to bottom of window. Removable center console. Cup holders in back seat. Air bags. Heater & A/C for back seat. Better gas mileage. I get up to 23 highway, but only 18 MPG, city.

The Jimmy!
By India

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV

I bought my Jimmy used in January of 2004 as a result of having my car stolen. Although I was not thrilled about the exterior, (I wanted a more femine looking car since I am a girl) I was excited about the leather interior. After buying the Jimmy, I had to replace the front brakes and the fuel injection pump all for the price of $900. Since then I haven't had any problems. My friends and I take lots of road trips (college students, of course) and we always look forward to taking the Jimmy because of the comfortable ride. And believe it or not, my friends with newer cars actually prefer my car beause they feel it is roomier, more comfortable, and they feel safer!

Favorite Features

The leather interior, the Vortec engine, folding rear seats, sunglasses console, and the cruise control

Suggested Improvements

The interior (except the seats, they're perfect) and the boxey exterior