1994 GMC Jimmy SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jimmy model:
Like A Rock!!!
By kwr1990 on 07/06/13 10:22 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

My grandparents bought my 1994 Jimmy new in 1994. It is the Automatic 4wd white with tan interior. Mine has the 4.3 Vortec CPI. It currently has 436,788 miles and have never turned a wrech to it except for maintainence. Never been rebuilt and has never let me down. It has towed everything I could hook to it and been off road more than on road. I love it, it's reliable, cheap operating cost and will last you forever.

Really Reliable, Aside from Some Maintenance
By kingsolidsteve on 04/23/12 23:50 PM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This was the first vehicle I used to learn how to drive. My dad bought it from a small private dealer in 2006, and I became the primary driver of the Jimmy the following year. During the three years I had it, the A/C, fuel pump, starter, alternator, battery, and a belt had to be replaced. Luckily, it ran well without any problems after that. However, it got abysmal gas mileage, usually 10-14 mpg, but I think that may have been attributed to the fuel pump issue. The power windows also started to die towards the end, but that's to be expected of an older vehicle. Overall, I really enjoyed having the opportunity to have driven this vehicle and will remember it well since it was my first.

Never had a better, more dependable SUV
By 94jimmy81 on 03/14/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jimmy has 251,000 miles and I have never done any major engine or tranny work to it. Parts are cheap and it overall has been a pretty easy vehicle to work on. But never had a problem with it, it starts up every morning without a problem. The 4 wheel drive system is awesome too.

4 years w/my Jimmy
By Gal-a-van-tin on 12/06/05 13:27 PM (PST)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

When I bought my Jimmy, it had 68K on it and lots of surface rust. I had that removed and now it needs it again. I like the interior except, would like a movable console between seats for extra space. I bought it for the 4WD feature to feel more secure in bad weather. Also, I wanted to do lots of road trips and camp out of the car. This is great! A twin-size mattress fits in the back comfortably and I can go almost anywhere with it. The engine has been very reliable and my mechanic says I should have no problem getting another 50,000 miles out of it. I have had basic repairs and maintenance, but nothing out of the ordinary, $100- $300/yr. I would change a few things with the design.

The Jimmy!
By India on 03/28/05 02:59 AM (PST)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV

I bought my Jimmy used in January of 2004 as a result of having my car stolen. Although I was not thrilled about the exterior, (I wanted a more femine looking car since I am a girl) I was excited about the leather interior. After buying the Jimmy, I had to replace the front brakes and the fuel injection pump all for the price of $900. Since then I haven't had any problems. My friends and I take lots of road trips (college students, of course) and we always look forward to taking the Jimmy because of the comfortable ride. And believe it or not, my friends with newer cars actually prefer my car beause they feel it is roomier, more comfortable, and they feel safer!

Worst car I ever owned!
By aurinia on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

Maybe mine was just a lemon, I don't know. Bought it used in '02 w/ 68K on it, body in great shape, no rust, ran great. That didn't last long, tho! W/in the 1 1/2 years I owned it, here's a list of what I had to have replaced: entire front axle, brakes (2x), U- joint, fuel pump, fuel tank, A/C, various motors and belts, entire exhaust system and tires. Oh, & the ABS went out and almost killed me twice; nothing like hitting the brake pedal and feeling it NOT MOVE (its especially nice when you have a 4yr old in the car)! At 90K, in the space of a week, the 4WD went out as did the transmission, and the drivers door started coming off the hinges. Had it towed to the dealership to trade it in.

Great car, expensive maintenance
By Chance's End on 09/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this car because I consistantly need to haul a truckload of music equipment to gigs. So though the car's less-than-stellar MPG rating is a downfall, it comes with the territory (I get between 17-20 mpg). The one major gripe I have is that at 75k miles, the ball joints needed to be replaced - not something to cough at. Evidently, this is common on GMC/Chevy SUVs of this vintage. But besides the high maintenance bill last month, it's definitely one of the most comfortable and fun cars to drive.

Questionable quality
By Slim Jimmy on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD

I would like to say that in general, i am somewhat happy with my Jimmy. However, the EGR valve is quite troublesome. I also have a motor mount that slips and allows my fan to hit the housing. My Jimmy has 96,000 miles on it and it seems like every time I turn around it is in the shop.

A workhorse that keeps on pushing!
By Dan Arturi on 08/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV

The Jimmy I have has 121800 miles on it, and still is extremely reliable. It starts right up and gets me where I need to go. It is not the most fuel efficient vehicle ever, but it does get about 17mpg average overall. As an outside sales rep, I am on the L. A. freeways constantly, and the truck puts up with all kinds of heat and start/stop conditions gracefully. It still has plenty of power when I need it.

Great 4X4
By USMC03 on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 GMC Jimmy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is absolutely the best car I have ever driven. The Vortec engine pulls like a champion and gives me all the power I need for towing heavy loads or off-roading. The only problem I've had with this car is the infamous EGR Valve, I suspect that is why I got the car so cheap. Though the dash is not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the later models, it is still very nice and all of the controls are fairly intuitively placed. The Leather is of a quality that you would expect in a much more expensive car. Handling on the street is very good however this car really shines off-road. Overall this is a great car and has been extremely reliable.