Used 2008 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Poor Quality compared to other brands
By ahess77

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has had more than it's share of problems, dealer has not correctly fixed half of them. 1. driver window extremely slow (dealer said it's normal operation); 2. 4WD service light, dealer changed a sensor; 3. speaker buzzing, dealer changed rear speaker; 4. Stabilitrack service light, dealer changed a sensor; 5. occasional loud Bumping/growling noise at RF wheel, dealer said normal operation; 5. speaker buzzing (out of warranty), Non-dealer replaced rear HVAC control; 6. Check engine light, secondary air injection system, ECM replaced ($700!) 7. Service Stabilitrack, steering wheel sensor ($95!). It's not a Yugo, but what a piece of crap.

Hasn't stranded me on the road yet.

I will never buy another GM vehicle after this and my 2006 GMC Sierra problems. GM is very poor quality compared to their competition.

Good Vehicle hate to see it go
By dnt

2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV has been great, it has got us through many long road trips. Monthly payment was getting to much so had to downsize to a small car again, but looking forward to being back in a FORD Focus again. Anyone who has mentioned the seats don't fold down flat, WELL THEY DO. We didn't think so at first either until my husband went out one day and figured it out, reading the manual really helped too.

Lots of room, DVD player for long road trips, BOSE sound system, 6 disc changer, heated leather seats, side stepping rails, blinkers on side mirrors, radio controls on steering wheel

The cup holder by stereo awful, it's to close to the shift control and is only big enough to hold a medium coffee.

Love the Denali but not the Mileage
By vallywally

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Hwy mpg is OK but city mpg is very poor. The seat belt cuts into my neck and needs to be repositioned. Denali exterior is an eye turner but the plastic "woodgrain" console looks cheap and tacky. Seats are comfortable but would prefer a softer leather. When I'm stopped for a light, after 10+ seconds there's a thud-like jolt & sound from under the car. Dealer has no idea what is causing this but has heard others complain about it.

Exterior Denali styling is terrific. Smooth ride, great turning radius, easy to drive, on-board compressor, integrated hitch, running boards.

#1 - Need better city mileage!! Seat belts that don't give me a neck rash, integrated holder for cell phone, pull out door pockets or better designed console that can hold a small handbag, rear seats should fold flat like they did in my old Blazer (loved that feature & fold down gate in the Blazer)

Good power but that's where the good end
By Milez5858

2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Envoy as the most powerful 6 cylendar for towing. I turns out I get better milage with an 8 cylendar truck. The air shocks were constantly pumping up, the fans for the climate control extremely loud, there is no vent setting so it was either blowing hot or cold air, wind noise was excessive, the gas tank is configured such that it always spilled over when filling no matter what gas station I went to. Passing gear was great but taking of from stopped was very slow for a 280 hp engine.

6200 lbs towing was great for a 6 banger mid sized SUV. That was offset by only getting 15 MPG. I get nearly 20 in my Dodge Ram.

Use quiet fans on the climate control and add a pass through vent feature. Gas milage must be improved. Ditch the air suspension in the back, it is just one more thing to break. Impove door seals for wind noise reduction. Change the rear gear ratio so there is some excelleration.

2008 envoy
By alc13

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Not sure if I have the SLE or SLT. I rated the gas milage poor because it is extremely inconsistant. I travel 6 hrs interstate/highway time per week and I go the same speed every time. Some trips I go through a little over a 1/4 and sometimes I go through a whole tank. Thats a huge difference! Also, it should get better milage than a truck 17mpg just doesn't cut it for its size. I rated the interior design poorly also because there is only one cup holder, back seats don't really fold down, console is tiny, and the computer system randomly turns on and off the change oil light. As far as build quality stuff I had to have the powertrain completely replaced when I first bought it.

Comfortable and easy to manuever

Put in more than one cup holder so the passenger has a place to put their drink. Also, improve gas milage/consistantcy.