Used 2008 GMC Envoy SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

2008 GMC Envoy SUV

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

2008 Envoy Winter Driver
By phoenixiv

2008 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought the wife a winter driver because the Toyota Corolla Sport can't even make it out of the driveway if it has 2 inches of snow or more. The Envoy is stable, dependable and with automatic or full time 4 wheel drive it plows through snow and ice covered roads well. Most of the time it turns around in the drive with 5-6 inches of fresh snow without 4 wheel drive engaged. The vehicle has a smooth heavy feel on the highway more like a 1/2 ton truck which we both like but it has a softer ride. Great leg room for me for a change which fits my 6' 1" frame better than most of the smaller crossovers or SUVs. The 4.2L inline six has good power and torque at both low and high speeds.

Favorite Features

Automatic 4 wheel drive is nice and the stability control work well together. I actually think I can get to the spark plugs without pulling the engine which is really nice for a change.

Suggested Improvements

Turbocharged inline six might be nice for both power and economy or maybe a small diesel.

Love my new Used Envoy
By flyer1977

2008 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just a couple days old, I bought this 2008 Envoy with 65000 miles on it. I went to purchase a 2009 Chevy Equinox. Ironically both sat side by side and were the same price, yet the envoy had 20000 less miles. From the exterior, the GMC looked to be more solid of a vehicle, it doesnt have that plastic look to it like the Equinox. Test drive the transmission shifts smooth and no fear of passing on the highway. Equinox was otherwise. Gas mileage better than I expected. Last night did a 115 mile drive on the highway at 65-70 mph, got 22mpg with the air condition on. I was expecting a SUV of this size to be in the teens, its a truck no one should expect 30 mpg. So far I love it

Favorite Features

Cruise Control Tire size Transmission Auto lights Tire Pressure Warning Instrument dash showing battery charge volts Heavy duty tow package Folding seats

Suggested Improvements

forward cupholder should be back a little further so a large cup could fit. Tire Pressure Warning should have the indicator with it as well to tell you the psi (probably on the Denali) Shift indicator on gear shift column as well would be nice in case lights went out on dash

Poor Quality compared to other brands
By ahess77

2008 GMC Envoy SUV SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has had more than it's share of problems, dealer has not correctly fixed half of them. 1. driver window extremely slow (dealer said it's normal operation); 2. 4WD service light, dealer changed a sensor; 3. speaker buzzing, dealer changed rear speaker; 4. Stabilitrack service light, dealer changed a sensor; 5. occasional loud Bumping/growling noise at RF wheel, dealer said normal operation; 5. speaker buzzing (out of warranty), Non-dealer replaced rear HVAC control; 6. Check engine light, secondary air injection system, ECM replaced ($700!) 7. Service Stabilitrack, steering wheel sensor ($95!). It's not a Yugo, but what a piece of crap.

Favorite Features

Hasn't stranded me on the road yet.

Suggested Improvements

I will never buy another GM vehicle after this and my 2006 GMC Sierra problems. GM is very poor quality compared to their competition.

Good Vehicle hate to see it go
By dnt

2008 GMC Envoy SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The SUV has been great, it has got us through many long road trips. Monthly payment was getting to much so had to downsize to a small car again, but looking forward to being back in a FORD Focus again. Anyone who has mentioned the seats don't fold down flat, WELL THEY DO. We didn't think so at first either until my husband went out one day and figured it out, reading the manual really helped too.

Favorite Features

Lots of room, DVD player for long road trips, BOSE sound system, 6 disc changer, heated leather seats, side stepping rails, blinkers on side mirrors, radio controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder by stereo awful, it's to close to the shift control and is only big enough to hold a medium coffee.

Love the Denali but not the Mileage
By vallywally

2008 GMC Envoy SUV Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Hwy mpg is OK but city mpg is very poor. The seat belt cuts into my neck and needs to be repositioned. Denali exterior is an eye turner but the plastic "woodgrain" console looks cheap and tacky. Seats are comfortable but would prefer a softer leather. When I'm stopped for a light, after 10+ seconds there's a thud-like jolt & sound from under the car. Dealer has no idea what is causing this but has heard others complain about it.

Favorite Features

Exterior Denali styling is terrific. Smooth ride, great turning radius, easy to drive, on-board compressor, integrated hitch, running boards.

Suggested Improvements

#1 - Need better city mileage!! Seat belts that don't give me a neck rash, integrated holder for cell phone, pull out door pockets or better designed console that can hold a small handbag, rear seats should fold flat like they did in my old Blazer (loved that feature & fold down gate in the Blazer)