Used 2008 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

why don't they build this anymore?
By russ weaver

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a mid size suv on a solid full frame. Handles rough terrain and freeway speeds equally well. I'd buy a new one if I could.

IT'S NEW AGAIN EVERYDAY
By Dan Smith

2008 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

206,000 miles later, 8 years of ownership and every time I get behind the wheel I fall in love all
over again. She is an absolute sweetheart - the Envoy Denali is a great road-suv...hugs the road - runs down
the road at 80 mph - 2,000 rpm - 20 miles per gallon - comfort and just plain FUN TO DRIVE.

This is my 7th GMC product and I am just now ordering a new GMC Acadia Denali - 2017 - I just hope the new
one is 1/5 the suv this 2008 sweetheart is.

ENVOY SLT Solid as Stone Mountain
By Bill Poindexter

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2008 GMC Envoy SLT with 10,000 miles on it and one year old. Now we have over 150,000 on it and would not trade it for anything new and free. The best way to describe the old school, body on frame, straight six SUV is SOLID. For work I have the opportunity to rent many vehicles and nothing comes close to the solid feel and stump pulling power of GM's Envoy and Trail blazer twin. My brother in law is a master mechanic and shop owner and rather than purchase a new vehicle (which he could easily afford) he chose a well cared for Trail Blazer. He is highly impressed with the bullet proof power train rugged body on frame design. I can attest it feels like you are driving a SUBSTANTIAL vehicle. The mass of power available at the slightest touch of the gas verifies what I read. The truck engine in these SUVs were over built by GM. The solid axil always stays put and signals when you are adrift in the lane resulting in a reassuring ride and stable tracking regardless of the highway condition. Newer vehicle designs may give you more storage pockets and cup holders but I value solid construction and indestructible power train as more important for getting you from A to B. Comfort is exceptionable and everything is quiet and solid inside the car. Repairs have been limited to a cracked exhaust manifold and wires chewed up by a demented squirrel. I would strongly lean toward buying a well cared for Envoy over a new vehicle just because they simply don't build them like this any more.

2008 Envoy Winter Driver
By phoenixiv

2008 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought the wife a winter driver because the Toyota Corolla Sport can't even make it out of the driveway if it has 2 inches of snow or more. The Envoy is stable, dependable and with automatic or full time 4 wheel drive it plows through snow and ice covered roads well. Most of the time it turns around in the drive with 5-6 inches of fresh snow without 4 wheel drive engaged. The vehicle has a smooth heavy feel on the highway more like a 1/2 ton truck which we both like but it has a softer ride. Great leg room for me for a change which fits my 6' 1" frame better than most of the smaller crossovers or SUVs. The 4.2L inline six has good power and torque at both low and high speeds.

Automatic 4 wheel drive is nice and the stability control work well together. I actually think I can get to the spark plugs without pulling the engine which is really nice for a change.

Turbocharged inline six might be nice for both power and economy or maybe a small diesel.

Love my new Used Envoy
By flyer1977

2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just a couple days old, I bought this 2008 Envoy with 65000 miles on it.
I went to purchase a 2009 Chevy Equinox.
Ironically both sat side by side and were the same price, yet the envoy had 20000 less miles.
From the exterior, the GMC looked to be more solid of a vehicle, it doesnt have that plastic look to it like the Equinox.
Test drive the transmission shifts smooth and no fear of passing on the highway.
Equinox was otherwise.
Gas mileage better than I expected.
Last night did a 115 mile drive on the highway at 65-70 mph, got 22mpg with the air condition on.
I was expecting a SUV of this size to be in the teens, its a truck no one should expect 30 mpg.
So far I love it

Cruise Control Tire size Transmission Auto lights Tire Pressure Warning Instrument dash showing battery charge volts Heavy duty tow package Folding seats

forward cupholder should be back a little further so a large cup could fit. Tire Pressure Warning should have the indicator with it as well to tell you the psi (probably on the Denali) Shift indicator on gear shift column as well would be nice in case lights went out on dash