Used 2006 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

2006 GMC Envoy
By aplymate

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2006 Envoy used from Carmax when it had 32,000 miles on it. At the time we bought it, it was making a whining noise from the motor, which the salesman assured us was normal. It was not normal. Left me broke down on the side of the road when the idler pulley broke and tore up the sepenteine belt. Fuel gauge no longer works and check engine light stays on. More recently my driver's side door squeks badly and one of the shocks on my back hatch blew out. I wanted to get a brand new Acadia but not sure I want to purchase another GMC. They do not even have any recalls for any of the problems. Do not buy..

None

They already improved it when they stopped making them

Great Car for the first 3 years
By envoydenali

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great car for the first few years. I bought it new a month or two before the 2007's came out and got it for right around invoice price. The interior is nice, performs well, tows well (but I've never towed anything super heavy). However I started having problems shortly after the warranty ran out. -At 40K the fuel level sensor went out, the dealer wanted $700 to fix. I had it done with a $35 part from ebay and $200 labor. -At 72K the transmission went out, $2300 -At 92K the engine had to be replaced, $6700 -At 93K the throttle sensor had to be replaced Even though it was great at first, the last 1-2 years have made me regret buying this car.

On a side note, at least with the Denali version, the engine is an all Aluminum engine. This is different than most of the other GM models with the 5.3L motor. It was very difficult to find a replacement and made it more expensive. Also I do have many more miles per year than the average driver so that may have something to do with it. But come on, all of this before 100K?

Love It
By Ross

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I can't understand all the complaints about the Envoy. Must be other brand dealers trying to kill sales. I have had this one over 2 years and presently have 113,000 miles on it with no issues at all. Bought it used with 46000 on it and will buy another if I can find one. The only mistake GM made was going from this to the Arcadia. Mine has the 4.2 4wd, will go anywhere and pull anything I want to.

Trim, Ride, Appearance, Safety

Gas Mileage but that is expected with a SUV.

Reliable vehicle
By Reliable and Love it

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love this SUV. It has been very reliable so far and have not had any problems. Of course, it is the DENALI, everything is top of the line. The leather seats are comfortable, the vehicle rides smoothly and haven't had any problems these four years. I would also like to point out that the regular mpg in the city is 16.5 / 17 but on the highway I noticed that on our last trip it did 22 mpg, which I think that for the size and weight of this vehicle was pretty good. I definitely would recommended.

DENALI features and smooth ride.

Nothing!

Never Again
By Never Again

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about two years ago and purchased an extended warranty. The first year I had this car the interior started falling apart. The panels around the passenger seat broke, the lights on the stereo are out and the carpet has a rusts stains alone the back doors(not sure where this is coming from). I've recently started having mechanical problems. I had to replace two coils and the electrical line to the front light has burned. The worst part of all of this is nothing is under warranty. I paid 300 for a 60k maintenance that did not include a tune up. This is my first American made car in a long time and I must say I will never buy another GMC!

The Envoy has great seating. I have the 7 seater

The Envoy need to have better Interior, more leg room for back seats, adjustable back seats.

• SUV