2006 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:
Annoyed
By desilynn32 on 03/19/13 11:11 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali. I bought it 2 years ago with 65,000 miles on it. I had it less than a year and the oil started disappering. Took it into the shop $600.00 later it was fixed, supposedly. Shop guy told me that if it happened again I would no doubt need a new engine :( Guess what it happened today, oil pressure dropped to zero and the check engine light is on and I was only down 1/2 qrt of oil. This vehicle has nickeled and dimed me to death and isn't worth crap for trade. Very disappointed in the GMC. Also GMC will not stand behind there product.

In the shop every 2 months! ouch ;(
By 3magana on 12/07/12 12:25 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car looked so amazing, and being young my husband and I thought we needed a beautiful car like this. It w as 6 months old when we bought it. Fuel card gone out twice. The air bags that lift the car got a leak and had to replace with normal shocks. (Expensive!) Air conditioning went out driver side. Front suspension needed replaced, would not turn. Not all our issues list :( NOW: All of a sudden when driving home from work, at night, my headlights completely turned off! I thought it was just a one time thing but happened a week later with my kids in the car on the highway! Oh my goodness...I am so upset, haven't driven it at night or hardly at all.

2006 GMC Envoy
By aplymate on 07/06/11 16:18 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2006 Envoy used from Carmax when it had 32,000 miles on it. At the time we bought it, it was making a whining noise from the motor, which the salesman assured us was normal. It was not normal. Left me broke down on the side of the road when the idler pulley broke and tore up the sepenteine belt. Fuel gauge no longer works and check engine light stays on. More recently my driver's side door squeks badly and one of the shocks on my back hatch blew out. I wanted to get a brand new Acadia but not sure I want to purchase another GMC. They do not even have any recalls for any of the problems. Do not buy..

Great Car for the first 3 years
By envoydenali on 03/01/11 15:10 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great car for the first few years. I bought it new a month or two before the 2007's came out and got it for right around invoice price. The interior is nice, performs well, tows well (but I've never towed anything super heavy). However I started having problems shortly after the warranty ran out. -At 40K the fuel level sensor went out, the dealer wanted $700 to fix. I had it done with a $35 part from ebay and $200 labor. -At 72K the transmission went out, $2300 -At 92K the engine had to be replaced, $6700 -At 93K the throttle sensor had to be replaced Even though it was great at first, the last 1-2 years have made me regret buying this car.

Love It
By Ross on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I can't understand all the complaints about the Envoy. Must be other brand dealers trying to kill sales. I have had this one over 2 years and presently have 113,000 miles on it with no issues at all. Bought it used with 46000 on it and will buy another if I can find one. The only mistake GM made was going from this to the Arcadia. Mine has the 4.2 4wd, will go anywhere and pull anything I want to.

Reliable vehicle
By Reliable and Love it on 08/02/10 07:28 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love this SUV. It has been very reliable so far and have not had any problems. Of course, it is the DENALI, everything is top of the line. The leather seats are comfortable, the vehicle rides smoothly and haven't had any problems these four years. I would also like to point out that the regular mpg in the city is 16.5 / 17 but on the highway I noticed that on our last trip it did 22 mpg, which I think that for the size and weight of this vehicle was pretty good. I definitely would recommended.

Never Again
By Never Again on 03/21/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about two years ago and purchased an extended warranty. The first year I had this car the interior started falling apart. The panels around the passenger seat broke, the lights on the stereo are out and the carpet has a rusts stains alone the back doors(not sure where this is coming from). I've recently started having mechanical problems. I had to replace two coils and the electrical line to the front light has burned. The worst part of all of this is nothing is under warranty. I paid 300 for a 60k maintenance that did not include a tune up. This is my first American made car in a long time and I must say I will never buy another GMC!

Sick of Being Nickel and Dimed to Death
By rrh36 on 03/15/10 19:10 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2006 Envoy SLE in Oct 2008. Things went well for a while, but after the first 6 months of driving, been nothing by problem after problem. Engine had high pitched squeal which was bad bearings in idler pulley. Then the spare tire would not come off the underside. Had to cut the cable and replace the entire spare tire holder. Fuel gauge quit working. And most recently, had to replace water pump. Bearings shot in that too and can't even do it yourself without a "special tool." I will NEVER buy another GMC and I hope GM goes under because of their selling of product with such horrible reliability.

I know why they are going under
By Lola R on 02/22/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this as a second vehicle last year. We only use it 3 to 4 months in a year. So when I got it out for the winter season, this year we had to start fixing it. 1st, the weather stripping is falling off the back door, 2nd the steering rack must be replaced. The suv only has 39000 miles on it. I should have know better than to buy a GMC. I also had to have the fuel gauge replaced second day we had it. Thank God it was under warrenty. Stereo speaker blew out also.

Could be better....
By volvo2robot on 12/28/09 16:41 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i am impressed with the v8 like engine and rain sensing wipers. The stability control proved it self very useful when it saved me from a 60mph accident... it handles superbly on the snow and mountains with minimal engine groans... i happened to lean on the center console and the whole thing came up and dislodged itself i simply clicked it right back. i HATE the rear seats there is very little leg room and are very inconvenient to fold. after a year of owning it, we heard an odd buzz we took it to a dealer and it turned out to be a sensor. Another complaint is that the power adjustable seats broke down on the drivers side and the doors screech and the lift gate window opens when it wants to.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.