2006 GMC Envoy SLE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

2006 Envoy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Sort Reviews by

2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
By Ian Brown

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I used to have a Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5 liter engine and the AX5 transmission. Tons of fun to drive, but the transmission is not a drivers transmission, I smoked two of them before trading it for my Envoy. The 4.2 I6 feels stronger than what GMC gives it credit for, the Envoy has a tighter turning radius than my old Jeep! And it is absolutely wonderful to drive! It has excellent driving manners, and you can feel vehicle response in your feet and hands with nothing left vague. My cockpit space feels luxurious and my daughter cant quit raving about the lavish wood grain interior, ventilation, leather seats and well appointed use of chrome. I don't miss my jeep in the least.

Favorite Features

Please understand this is a comparison between a 1994 jeep wrangler and a 2006 GMC Envoy. My jeep was a 2.5 liter with the AX5 transmission. My opinion, junk! The jeep was fun to punish, but it couldn't take any abuse. My Envoy however has been surprising in what it will easily accept in stride. The Envoys electronics can be finicky, just shut it off and restart and its OK, but the stabilitrak and the more than component 4.2 I6 smash what my jeep could do. While the Envoy is heavier and well appointed. My old jeep was weaker and less reliable. When the jeep was in fighting form, it was great, just dont count on the AX5 transmission, it's absolute garbage!

Suggested Improvements

Rustproofing!...My 2006 has rust everywhere I look! The black paint on the small parts and undercarriage seems to be more like frosting. From the outside this car is beautiful, but underneath it's rotting! I'll be working constantly on keeping rust at bay on this machine!

Annoyed
By desilynn32

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2006 GMC Envoy Denali. I bought it 2 years ago with 65,000 miles on it. I had it less than a year and the oil started disappering. Took it into the shop $600.00 later it was fixed, supposedly. Shop guy told me that if it happened again I would no doubt need a new engine :( Guess what it happened today, oil pressure dropped to zero and the check engine light is on and I was only down 1/2 qrt of oil. This vehicle has nickeled and dimed me to death and isn't worth crap for trade. Very disappointed in the GMC. Also GMC will not stand behind there product.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything in this vehicle needs improving

In the shop every 2 months! ouch ;(
By 3magana

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car looked so amazing, and being young my husband and I thought we needed a beautiful car like this. It w as 6 months old when we bought it. Fuel card gone out twice. The air bags that lift the car got a leak and had to replace with normal shocks. (Expensive!) Air conditioning went out driver side. Front suspension needed replaced, would not turn. Not all our issues list :( NOW: All of a sudden when driving home from work, at night, my headlights completely turned off! I thought it was just a one time thing but happened a week later with my kids in the car on the highway! Oh my goodness...I am so upset, haven't driven it at night or hardly at all.

Favorite Features

Was the air pump in the back, but stopped working and then had to be taken out because the airbags went out.

Suggested Improvements

After reading about this vehicle and all the reviews I am surprised this entire vehicle has not been recalled! The "check stabilitrac" light came on and now the engine light! I'm guessing another few thousand! We have put nearly, if not more than $10,000 into this 6 year old vehicle! It was $26,000, and we sill owe on it! I keep telling myself nothing else will break....but then always something else!

2006 GMC Envoy
By aplymate

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2006 Envoy used from Carmax when it had 32,000 miles on it. At the time we bought it, it was making a whining noise from the motor, which the salesman assured us was normal. It was not normal. Left me broke down on the side of the road when the idler pulley broke and tore up the sepenteine belt. Fuel gauge no longer works and check engine light stays on. More recently my driver's side door squeks badly and one of the shocks on my back hatch blew out. I wanted to get a brand new Acadia but not sure I want to purchase another GMC. They do not even have any recalls for any of the problems. Do not buy..

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

They already improved it when they stopped making them

Great Car for the first 3 years
By envoydenali

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great car for the first few years. I bought it new a month or two before the 2007's came out and got it for right around invoice price. The interior is nice, performs well, tows well (but I've never towed anything super heavy). However I started having problems shortly after the warranty ran out. -At 40K the fuel level sensor went out, the dealer wanted $700 to fix. I had it done with a $35 part from ebay and $200 labor. -At 72K the transmission went out, $2300 -At 92K the engine had to be replaced, $6700 -At 93K the throttle sensor had to be replaced Even though it was great at first, the last 1-2 years have made me regret buying this car.

Suggested Improvements

On a side note, at least with the Denali version, the engine is an all Aluminum engine. This is different than most of the other GM models with the 5.3L motor. It was very difficult to find a replacement and made it more expensive. Also I do have many more miles per year than the average driver so that may have something to do with it. But come on, all of this before 100K?

Love It
By Ross

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I can't understand all the complaints about the Envoy. Must be other brand dealers trying to kill sales. I have had this one over 2 years and presently have 113,000 miles on it with no issues at all. Bought it used with 46000 on it and will buy another if I can find one. The only mistake GM made was going from this to the Arcadia. Mine has the 4.2 4wd, will go anywhere and pull anything I want to.

Favorite Features

Trim, Ride, Appearance, Safety

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage but that is expected with a SUV.

Reliable vehicle
By Reliable and Love it

2006 GMC Envoy Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love this SUV. It has been very reliable so far and have not had any problems. Of course, it is the DENALI, everything is top of the line. The leather seats are comfortable, the vehicle rides smoothly and haven't had any problems these four years. I would also like to point out that the regular mpg in the city is 16.5 / 17 but on the highway I noticed that on our last trip it did 22 mpg, which I think that for the size and weight of this vehicle was pretty good. I definitely would recommended.

Favorite Features

DENALI features and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!

Never Again
By Never Again

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about two years ago and purchased an extended warranty. The first year I had this car the interior started falling apart. The panels around the passenger seat broke, the lights on the stereo are out and the carpet has a rusts stains alone the back doors(not sure where this is coming from). I've recently started having mechanical problems. I had to replace two coils and the electrical line to the front light has burned. The worst part of all of this is nothing is under warranty. I paid 300 for a 60k maintenance that did not include a tune up. This is my first American made car in a long time and I must say I will never buy another GMC!

Favorite Features

The Envoy has great seating. I have the 7 seater

Suggested Improvements

The Envoy need to have better Interior, more leg room for back seats, adjustable back seats.

Sick of Being Nickel and Dimed to Death
By rrh36

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2006 Envoy SLE in Oct 2008. Things went well for a while, but after the first 6 months of driving, been nothing by problem after problem. Engine had high pitched squeal which was bad bearings in idler pulley. Then the spare tire would not come off the underside. Had to cut the cable and replace the entire spare tire holder. Fuel gauge quit working. And most recently, had to replace water pump. Bearings shot in that too and can't even do it yourself without a "special tool." I will NEVER buy another GMC and I hope GM goes under because of their selling of product with such horrible reliability.

Favorite Features

Rides fairly well. Smooth for an SUV. Interior design is good. 4WD is solid.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability, better customer support. When there are known problems, help out the consumer instead of losing them as customers for life!

I know why they are going under
By Lola R

2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this as a second vehicle last year. We only use it 3 to 4 months in a year. So when I got it out for the winter season, this year we had to start fixing it. 1st, the weather stripping is falling off the back door, 2nd the steering rack must be replaced. The suv only has 39000 miles on it. I should have know better than to buy a GMC. I also had to have the fuel gauge replaced second day we had it. Thank God it was under warrenty. Stereo speaker blew out also.

Favorite Features

4wd

Suggested Improvements

make it more dependable and a lot repairs!