Used 2005 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Job well done
By mark

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I came out of a 99 Mountaineer AWD 8 cyl which I loved. I was not thrilled with the changes Ford made. I find the Envoy more sturdy and has more creature comforts.

I love the heated seats (live in the northeast) the XM radio and the auto on wipers, not to mention the parking view mirror and gauge package.

Air conditioning could get cold faster.

2005 Envoy Denali
By Theroider

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Drives like a dream. Solid ride. Extremely quiet at cruising speed. Very agile to maneuver. My wife, who never thought she would care for a truck, now only drives the TRUCK! I cannot get her out of it. It is extremely stylish and not very common on the road (Denali version). Interior design is exceptional. It's not typical GM plastic on top of fake wood. There is actually real wood on the steering wheel. Nice touch!

Navigation Radio, Vortec 5300 V-8, Steering Wheel Design, Gear Shifter, Emergency Brake on Console, Front Seats, Awesome Exterior Looks, Nice Wheels and Front Grill, Full Economy considering V-8 and 4700lbs, XM Radio, OnStar and Integrated Phone with ability to SHARE minutes with Verizon Wireless!

Stabilitrack (added on 06 model), Auto- dim IRVM, Rear Cargo Floor Mat does not lay flat when Car Seat is installed, Acceleration from a Dead Stop (currently feels like it starts in 2nd Gear), Recall Driver Seat Position from Key Fob

By MPG

2005 GMC Envoy Denali Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the Envoy XL (SLT V8) in March 05 and have covered 2800 mi mostly around town. We recently had twins, and now with 4 kids total needed an SUV. I like the quite ride, and have upgraded the rear sway bar for better handling (highly recommended). The V8 has good power and sounds good too, but idles a little rough compared to others. My main concern is with the build quality of the vehicle. The paint job is very poor(Carbon gray) and also I have a warped/distorted windshield. The A/C performance in hot/humid weather is useless below 1500-2000 RPM. MPG is 11-12 around town! These issues will be brought up at the first service. Check out trailvoy.com if you have an Envoy/Trailblazer.

V8 power, air suspension, quiet ride around town, nice dash layout, pretty good seat comfort, handles quite well overall (well worth spending the $200 for a better rear swaybar).

A/C, stereo, suspension settings need tweaking like on the Saab SUV (same basic vehicle), build quality overall needs to be as good as the Japanese cars/trucks if there are to claim "professional grade".

2005 Envoy Denali XL
By ehackerson

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have had this truck for one month now and love it. There is plenty of room for the three kids and it drives like a dream. I was nervous about moving from a wagon to an SUV, but the Envoy XL is so easy for me to handle...it drives more like a car than a truck. The third row of seats is large enough for adults so plenty of room for the kids as they grow. There are so many conveniences for the driver: the passenger side mirror automatically adjusts during back-up, can set pedals for comfort, the seats are super comfortable. The best thing is that it is not guzzling a lot of gas...the Displacement on Demand must be working!

Quiet interior when driving. Power stays on auxiliary for 10 minutes after shut off so you can listen to music w/o running down the battery, can close windows, sun roof if you forget without turning the car back on. Head curtain air bag gives peace of mind. Nav system is easy to use & acts as a phonebook!

Envoy enjoyment
By charle a duke

2005 GMC Envoy SLE Rwd 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second GMC Envoy purchased since it was first introduced. The 2005 offers exellent ride qualities and performance. The 4.2l i6 is smooth and quiet with acceptable fuel economy. The Bose sound system eliminates any wind/road noise that may exist. The self leveling rear suspension works great, but the compressor sounds somewhat strange while outside the running vehicle. I have changed the SLE grille to 2006 Denali version for an added styling que. GM has done a great job as far as I'm concerned. Due to a hard to find package I was trying to locate, I compared the Ford Explorer and found that the Envoy is by far the best bargain in its class.

Silky smooth engine, Bose sound system

Take out some of the boat like handling that SUV`s demonstrate