Used 2005 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

2005 GMC Envoy

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Good Overall
By nick

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased this SUV in March of '06 I really have enjoyed owning it. Yeah the gas mileage in city driving is horrendous (12mpg going easy on the gas pedal and the brakes), but you can't really expect much more from a 275 HP 6 cylinder. Gets about 17 on the highway. I really like the the comfort of this vehicle. Lots of room, great ride, and very quiet. It looks really nice as well. The power is also more than I expected it was going to be. Passing isn't a problem. Overall a really sound SUV.

Favorite Features

Power. Looks, comfort and very little road noise.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! And also sometimes if I hit a bump just right the automatic 4wd sensing unit will kick in and I'll have to stop and reset it. Kind of a pain.

Enjoy the Envoy.
By Nooper pooperson

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Envoy because I needed a cheaper car than what I had so I didn't expect much. But this SUV is unbelieveable. The power from this 4.2 I6 is outstanding (290 HP) The ride is the smoothest of any SUV I've ever ridden in. My Envoy Is Superior Blue Metallic with the gray interior and when cleand up this car shines, especially the 17" polished aluminum wheels. The only drawback is gas mileage. Around 13MPG in town which is not what I expected out of a 6 Cyl. But all of the standard features make up for it.

Favorite Features

Color, wheels, and ride quality. Did I forget to mention the awesome power?

Suggested Improvements

A 5 or 6 speed auto tranny would really help with the gas mileage

GREAT SUV!
By mkquigs

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Envoy for about a year and other than one glitch with the fuel gauge, it has been a pleasure to own. It drives great, looks awesome, has great space and the fuel consumption really isn't that bad. Note to people who want great fuel efficiency: Don't buy an SUV!! Duh! I love my Envoy and would recommend one to anyone. This is coming from a guy who swore he would never buy an American car!

Favorite Features

Exterior look, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Driver and passenger windows are automatic down but not up. That would be a nice feature. Other than that, it's awesome.

One of the best mid-sized SUVs out there
By Sniles32

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Had my Envoy less than one month, but thus far it is performing wonderfully. Acceleration is much speedier than expected, and the ride is smooth, particularly when compared to the Jeep I traded in for this. Yes, the gas mileage isn't stellar, but what SUV (excluding hybrids) has great gas mileage? It's right on par with similiar vehicles, so don't let people fool you when they say it gets bad gas mileage. The handling is a bit mushy -- definitely watch it on corners -- and the backseats don't fold completely flat for loading, and there isn't much center console space, but all in all this is an excellent SUV for the money and I look forward to driving it for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, lower lumbar support on driver's seat, daytime running lights, fog lights, higher vantage point

Suggested Improvements

Better designed center console space with more room, fold flat seats for cargo!

Lost the Suburban
By GM GUY

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Got really freaked last year when gas started towords $3. We had a '99 4WD GMC Suburban (which I loved), but at $132 a tank twice a month, we figured get rid of it while we could. We wanted a Highlander at first but it was major small on the inside. Then because a GM dealer was nearby we pop'd in to look at the Envoys. After having test drove Highlanders, Hyundai Santa Fe's and Pathfinders we were pleasantly surprised by the Envoy. The interior and ride were far superior to all the other SUV's we test drove, and quite! That in addition to the ride and power sold us. Room was an issue after having had a Suburban but we have adapted nicely.

Favorite Features

Ride, low road noise, handlng, comfort. 4x4, white body, with blackwalls and rims. Looks goooood when its washed.

Suggested Improvements

Compared to my suburban gas mileage is great but not what I expected. If I keep my foot out of it and only use the AC when I really need it, I can squeeze 15 mpg in town out of it. Highway will net you 20 on average. If you jackrabbit start, like the accelerator and AC be ready for 12- 13mpg.