Used 2005 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Gmc Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Known Issue
By Michael Petti

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I had Leased a 2004 Envoy, mostly highway mileage. Towards the end of the lease had engine code for misfire cylinder4. Vehicle was turned in as the lease expired and I thought nothing of it. Purchased a Pre Owned Certified 2005 GMC Envoy SLT, in 2008. In 2010 had to replace Cam Shaft sensor, (this was early warning of problem to come). A few months ago had misfire cylinder 2, replaced the coil & plug, code cleared engine light off. Problem resolved or so I thought. Last month misfire cylinder 4, replaced coil & plug, still misfire. Had diagnosis done via computer. Low pressure in the cylinder. From the blogs on all the sites cylinder 4 & 5 seem to be issue. GM knows but dosent care

Favorite Features

I love the truck, it has been a great family vehicle. But I am hesitant to spend $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 to machine the head and replace a cam shaft. This is an all too common problem with all Envoys for it to be a random issue. GM should buck up and set up a RECALL for their mistake.

Suggested Improvements

Model is discontinued need we say more. GM has to know the issue, every blog has same problem 4 & 5 misfire and pressure

Awesome
By gm_jeepforlife

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Very Comfortable for long distance trips and reliable I have had this vehicle since 2006 and it only has 95k miles and will never get rid of it

Favorite Features

Heated Seats

Suggested Improvements

They should of made this vehicle with Remote Start

Envoy to Enjoy
By envoyment

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Envoy was my first GMC, got a used 2005 Envoy SLT in 2009 with low mileage (50K) cranberry amazing.. I owned it for 3 years with 93K miles on the ODO, This truck is a hero, minor problems happened like leaking front diff, AC blower and .. that is ... just pay attention to regular oil changes and maintenance and drive it any where you want ... Best thing, you can fix many things by your self and few simple tools, it is incredibly simple

Favorite Features

Simple, cheap to own, dependable.. Strong engine.. tough truck

Suggested Improvements

I wish if the interior trim & back seat was better for my kids and family, then I would never leave my Envoy

Fuel+Oil Sending Unit Failures
By flexiblesink61

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is truely amazing why this issue does not cause GM to issue a Full recall on all cars in this line GMC, Buick and Chevy for fuel and oil sending unit replacements. You are driving blind. This issue alone has convinced me that I will never buy another GM product. Service department in dealerships are terrible and their systems don't work most of the time. They told me to keep driving with the problem and call them back in a few days to see if their systems come back on line. Toyota did the right thing when confronted with their issues. I own part of GM and I insist That GM should take responsibility and fix these issues, since both my trucks have the same issues.

Favorite Features

V8 power

Suggested Improvements

The Company needs to stand behing its product. Until then I will not buy another GM Product.

Great car, few major issues
By tilave

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle for about six years now, I really have grown attached to it and can't seem to get rid of it. Over the years it has not given me any major issues except for two things. One being the starter switch which I replaced three times and the other being the air suspension which started leaking at about 80k miles. Other than those things the car is rock solid. Great for camping and long trips.