Used 2005 GMC Envoy Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 GMC Envoy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy model:

Great idea but poor execution
By Johnthegmclover

2005 GMC Envoy Denali Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2005 XUV v8 with 111,450 miles on it. I have had to replace 11 window regulators, drivers side front, mid gate, and tail gate. Funny thing is GMC says they do not have a problem with these, what with the $450 plus replacement I guess they don't have a problem. I also had to have the air bags replaced at 80,000 miles. I will never buy another GMC or recommend one.

2005 Envoy is a Keeper
By Bruce Strickland

2005 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV, certified pre-owned, in 2008, preparing for a move to rural New Mexico. This Envoy's reliability has been flawless. It's gotten us through miles of extremely muddy roads with no problem. Last summer I had an Alpine car stereo installed for the USB and Bluetooth capability.

My criticisms are rattling door panels and a poorly placed cupholder on the console.

We had a painter do our interior last summer. He drives an older Envoy. 243,000 miles on the odometer, which tells me I can drive this one for quite a while.

Known Issue
By Michael Petti

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I had Leased a 2004 Envoy, mostly highway mileage. Towards the end of the lease had engine code for misfire cylinder4. Vehicle was turned in as the lease expired and I thought nothing of it.
Purchased a Pre Owned Certified 2005 GMC Envoy SLT, in 2008. In 2010 had to replace Cam Shaft sensor, (this was early warning of problem to come). A few months ago had misfire cylinder 2, replaced the coil & plug, code cleared engine light off. Problem resolved or so I thought. Last month misfire cylinder 4, replaced coil & plug, still misfire. Had diagnosis done via computer. Low pressure in the cylinder. From the blogs on all the sites cylinder 4 & 5 seem to be issue. GM knows but dosent care

I love the truck, it has been a great family vehicle. But I am hesitant to spend $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 to machine the head and replace a cam shaft. This is an all too common problem with all Envoys for it to be a random issue. GM should buck up and set up a RECALL for their mistake.

Model is discontinued need we say more. GM has to know the issue, every blog has same problem 4 & 5 misfire and pressure

Awesome
By gm_jeepforlife

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Very Comfortable for long distance trips and reliable I have had this vehicle since 2006 and it only has 95k miles and will never get rid of it

Heated Seats

They should of made this vehicle with Remote Start

Envoy to Enjoy
By envoyment

2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Envoy was my first GMC, got a used 2005 Envoy SLT in 2009 with low mileage (50K) cranberry amazing.. I owned it for 3 years with 93K miles on the ODO, This truck is a hero, minor problems happened like leaking front diff, AC blower and .. that is ... just pay attention to regular oil changes and maintenance and drive it any where you want ... Best thing, you can fix many things by your self and few simple tools, it is incredibly simple

Simple, cheap to own, dependable.. Strong engine.. tough truck

I wish if the interior trim & back seat was better for my kids and family, then I would never leave my Envoy